IGNORED

stripped oil drain plug

SteveSardone

SteveSardone

my son's ktm 520 dirtbike has a stripped oil drain plug. I've been advised to use a timesert. Any comments by anyone who has used them or something similar? thanks for your help

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Not knowing anything about the KTM, or timeserts, a simple oil drain plug could be swapped for a larger diameter plug, and the hole re-threaded to fit. Just a thought.

Look at Helicoil, I've used with success on stripped threads... it has oil plugs on the list of applications printed on the package. You'll have to be careful of any shavings.

SteveSardone

thanks for the suggestions. It looks like I'm going to have to pull the engine to gain the access I need to do the repair. There is a frame member blocking the access I would need to get any kind of drill or tapping tool at the proper angle. After all that work I will use an insert of some kind(helicoil, timesert) with a new plug. Thanks again

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
SteveSardone

FYI, I took most of the bike apart to get at the engine. I used a time sert kit that I purchased locally. It came with the drill, shoulder cutter, and tap. Used all three on the end of my ratchet. Screwed in the solid insert with the furnished driver and was done. No leaks and everything is good.

thanks for your suggestions.

Archived