IGNORED

dealer or document fees

wolcott

In South Florida, most car dealerships will charge $600 document/and/or/dealer fees on a new car or used one. Some do not. Bike dealers also want to charge this $600 fee, but at the local Japanese shop (where I've been looking for V-Stroms) it's mainly just for new bikes; I am sure some bike dealers try to pry it out of you on used bikes also.

1)Any of you had any success in renegotiating this fee for new bikes?

2)On used bikes?

I find their prices for used bikes atrocious; I would buy off a private owner- but just like cars, dealers have some of the nicer examples available. TIA

I've found the best thing to do (rather than haggle all the various 'fees') is to compare 'out the door' prices from various dealers, and if one dealer wants to compete another do it on that basis. Simple, and eliminates a lot of games.

The state charges for title transfer, tag, and of course, tax.

If you're out of state, you pay the fees there and pay for a temporary tag to ride away.

As Seth stated, out the door price comparison is the only way to compare apples to apples.

BTW, we charge $130 for tag/title transfer fees, and the $3.50 the state requires for new bikes wast/tire/battery fee, and sell all bikes below MSRP.

No additional fees for dealer prep, pre-delivery inspections, or any other dealer fees.

So, it all depends on where you are and who you deal with.

Good luck w/your search.

Best wishes.

BTW, we charge $130 for tag/title transfer fees, and the $3.50 the state requires for new bikes wast/tire/battery fee, and sell all bikes below MSRP.

No additional fees for dealer prep, pre-delivery inspections, or any other dealer fees.

I think I may be calling you for my next bike. :grin:

"In South Florida, most car dealerships will charge $600 document/and/or/dealer fees on a new car or used one."

Well you just struck a nerve. In Sept. 2004 I bought a used '03 4Runner. When we were going over the paperwork the finance guy mentioned license fees, etc. and the cost was $200. I said wait a minute, the tag still has 4 months left until it needs to be renewed. He promptly took the fee off the paperwork. It got me thinking and wondering how many people had been taken by this ploy. There was absolutely no reason to renew the plate when it was not due for 4 months. While I am all for making an honest profit this practice is just down right deceptive.

Document fees (referred to in the industry as "doc fees") are nothing more than additional dealer profit. They are negotiable as is everything else in a transaction involving the purchase of a vehicle. Most dealers around here have the doc fee pre-printed on the buyer's order and it takes a very seasoned and savvy negotiator to make that one go away. Usually, though, the dealer will reduce the selling price by the amount of the pre-printed doc fee if you threaten to walk off the deal. Of course, this assumes the vehicle you are intereted in is not in short supply. Then, all bets are off.

The best advice is to just get an "out the door" price and compare that to other dealers.

Just ordered a jetta sportwagen. No doc fees and a bunch off msrp. Had to talk to 6 dealers cuz they are just arriving. What you need to remember is that they need to sell and we do not need to buy. :grin:

"What you need to remember is that they need to sell and we do not need to buy."

Ain't that the truth Marty!! Congrats on the new vehicle. Is it the diesel model? Here is another for you. "There may not be a market for a seller but there is ALWAYS a market for a buyer."

ShovelStrokeEd

I just have the dealer give me the signed title or the C of O and do the documentation work myself. About an hour at my local DMV/tax collector. Then I come back and pick up the bike/car.

"What you need to remember is that they need to sell and we do not need to buy."

Ain't that the truth Marty!! Congrats on the new vehicle. Is it the diesel model? Here is another for you. "There may not be a market for a seller but there is ALWAYS a market for a buyer."

Decided to get the gas model/between the extra cost of the car and the .90 cent extra for each gal. of fuel, the B/E point is too far out for a youngster of my age. On top of that, people are in panic mode and some stores have deposits for 30+ which is more than most dealers expect to receive in '09. I don't do panic. :grin:

I don't need drive out plates, have lots of extras in the garage. :grin:

Paul,

Nope. Gave my blazer to my son and I need something to carry stuff in. The mazda carries nothing bigger than a loaf of bread. :grin:

Looking for an '07 or '08 650 V-strom with ABS. Everywhere I call they say it's been sold (within a 400 mile radius.) I may have to broaden my search to additional Southern states. If worst comes to worst, a 650 v-strom without ABS or a dl-1000 (no ABS available). Florida motosports told me today they could get me an '08 DL -1000 for $9K, $200 in doc. fees, and $500 for prep work, assembly, etc. as it is not put together yet. i told the guy that is was too high for a price, not to mention an additional $700 they are trying to get out of me. I just walked out. "Hey, hey, can I get your phone #?" "No," I replied. Will keep looking. Thanks for all the tips.

Archived