IGNORED

What is the deal with Pancreatic Cancer?

Stir

It seems that I am seeing references to it repeated in the media. Tony Snow, Patrick Swaze, John Diakonis and others. Is it moving up the rank of killers or is it coincidence?

Tony Snow died of Colon Cancer.

My guess about Pancreatic Cancer is that it is one the most serious and hardest to treat. They have been able to slow down and fight many other types of cancer. We have many member with a better knowledge of Cancer than me.

Whip

My guess about Pancreatic Cancer is that it is one the most serious and hardest to treat. They have been able to slow down and fight many other types of cancer. We have many member with a better knowledge of Cancer than me.

Whip

Opps you are right. I was thinking Randy Pausch.

And Steve Jobs.

Joe Frickin' Friday

No mention here of a chance in incidence rates in recent times; I think we're just witnessing an random/unfortunate cluster.

It's one of those cancers with a very low survival rate because for most folks it's pretty much asymptomatic until it's advanced to a point where it's terminal.

Contrast that with things like skin cancer or colon cancer, where regular inspections are easy and can catch a budding tumor while it's still easy to treat.

baggerchris

On the other hand, how about Brain Tumors. Ted Kennedy and now Robert Novak. Cell Phones? Radio waves?

Ah, a new thread to match the oil threads.

Whip

Opps you are right. I was thinking Randy Pausch.

And Steve Jobs.

And...Bob John.

One of the least common cancers.

Second most likely to result in death.

Doesn't usually occur before age 50.

Frequently the disease has already impacted parts of the body and tumors not likely to be surgically removed successfully.

:(

Its a raw deal - no doubt about it.

Patients usually show up in the ER with nausea, vomiting and belly pain. You run labs and find that the blood levels of pancreatic enzymes are off the charts. They get put on a diet of nothing per mouth (because eating stimulates the pancreas and that hurts like hell) and then they are off to the CT scanner. Usually you find a belly full of cancer and they live for a few months in pain. It is a shitty way to check out.

That is a good link to the ACS site. The associations that pan out statistically are family history and smoking. Leading theory is not that dissimilar to other cancers: there are inheritable mutations in 'cancer genes' and the likelihood of these genes leading to the development of cancer is influenced by exposure to carcinogenic agents, ie, cigarette smoking.

We live in a world of carcinogens, so the spike in incidence doesn't surprise me too much. Definitely a bummer though.

Its a raw deal - no doubt about it.

Patients usually show up in the ER with nausea, vomiting and belly pain. You run labs and find that the blood levels of pancreatic enzymes are off the charts. They get put on a diet of nothing per mouth (because eating stimulates the pancreas and that hurts like hell) and then they are off to the CT scanner. Usually you find a belly full of cancer and they live for a few months in pain. It is a shitty way to check out.] quote

That's why as a terminal cancer patient, I would like to see more states follow Oregon's lead with the Death with Dignity Act. If you are of sound mind, and have less than 6 months to live, a couple of doctors must sign off on some documents. The physician writes out a script for a powerful barbituate, you take it and drift off to sleep. We seem to treat our dogs and cats better than terminal cancer patients. Religon plays a big part in this, whether or not we want to admit it. Some cancers are so painful, it boggles the mind. Best to hope you get a good hospice nurse. There is a country in Europe (that shall remain nameless) that takes care of dying Americans that don't want to suffer. About $10- $12k with cremated remains sent home. Just my .02 from someone facing the grim reaper.

Archived