IGNORED

Strange Gear Selection Problem

gcp

2002 22500 mile 1150RT

Out for a ride last night and experienced bike stuck in 5th/6th gear after a 15 mile motorway cruise.

No untoward noises.

Would shift between 5th and 6th no problem just not go any further down.

When stopped and on centre stand could change back down to first no problem by gently spinning the rear wheel by hand.

After setting off again problem re-occurs but won't go back from 3rd.

Made it home but with more miles the problem was disappearing and by the time I was home all appeared as normal again. confused.gif

Read about gear linkage bushes causing this sort of problem on GS but can't find anything related searching on here.

I have recently done a few long rides in heavy rain and washed the bike the day before, I am kinda hoping that this is a linkage issue and related to this.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Loose linkage is not that unheard of on any of the bikes, including your RT. Poke around the linkage behind the left foot plate. If it is loose on the transmission shifter shaft it should be fairly obvious.

If not, your symptoms could be an early clue of something more ominous. Unfortunately.

Loose linkage is not that unheard of on any of the bikes, including your RT. Poke around the linkage behind the left foot plate. If it is loose on the transmission shifter shaft it should be fairly obvious.

If not, your symptoms could be an early clue of something more ominous. Unfortunately.

I would if anything be expecting it to be tight, found this shot which shows the linkage on ETK cd, I am thinking corrosion in numbers 4-7-8-9 could be a cause.

Only another hour at work before I can get in the garage to start investigating.

Heres hoping that it the problem.

gear_linkage2.jpg

Just pulled it apart and found this

DSC02187.jpg

The bush needed knocking out with a drift (not too hard) and has wear marks and signs of being gripped with vice grips in the past. Moving the leaver when detached from the gearbox not particulary smooth either.

Balljoints all OK though might replace those too if the dealer has stock.

Just an update.

Got the bike back together and all OK now, just cleaned up bush and ensured it was a smooth fit. Reassembled with copperslip.

While the fairing was off did the fuel filter and fitted the Techlusion I have had knocking around for an age too.

Archived