IGNORED

Ex-Google engineers debut 'Cuil' way to search

KMG_365

Not so kewel ... didn't find my input of " SA 1-30 " which is a reference to an old Schweizer airplane and comes up under an rc model site.

Google got it, of course, and even Live Search and Ask found it in the first two pages of results.

Didn't work for me either. I tried both static as well as news items and Cuil failed on both while Google hit the nail on the head.

One of my sites comes up first in cuil for a general search term (nice), but the image is the logo for the University of Alabama (not correct). And they return no results for a more a search on the brand name. They've got more work to do.

russell_bynum

I tried three different searches and got ZERO results. I ran all three of these on Google last night and got multiple hits.

Not very cuil. (and I hate the name, but maybe that's just me.)

Francois_Dumas

I get a 'server not found' error when trying to find 'cuil', that's not cool either. I wonder if Google torpedoed them ? :eek:

Not so kewel ... didn't find my input of " SA 1-30 " which is a reference to an old Schweizer airplane and comes up under an rc model site.

Google got it, of course, and even Live Search and Ask found it in the first two pages of results.

It shows up with dogpile as well

http://www.dogpile.com/dogpile/ws/results/Web/sa%201-30/1/417/TopNavigation/Relevance/iq=true/zoom=off/_iceUrlFlag=7?_IceUrl=true

"Cuil" has a lot of work ahead of them if they hope to be any kind of competition for Google.

"Ask" (formerly "Ask Jeeves") results have always been hit or miss. I quit using them except rarely.

"Yahoo" hasn't been a real contender in quite a while. They were the one to beat when Google came along. (They seriously missed the boat when the Google boys tried to sell the IP to them.)

"Dogpile" used to be a good engine - now it's hard to cull the real results from the "sponsored" ones. These days I'm afraid it's more like a pile of what the dogs leave behind.

Google is still the top name in search. They got there (and stay on top) by being very good at it.

I typed "BMW sport touring forums"

In google... this board comes up first...wohoo!

I couldn't find it using CUIL. It fails! It brought up instead "Sporttouring.net" as the closest.

It was slightly faster, but less accurate it seems, and it has no typo suggestions like google.... where if you misspell something it offeres a suggested alternate.

Competition is good, but it's got a ways to go. Smaller players can survive, but you need to find a niche or simply provide better service.

russell_bynum

Competition is good, but it's got a ways to go. Smaller players can survive, but you need to find a niche or simply provide better service.

Yep.

I switched from Yahoo to Google because Google was working better and didn't have all of the obnoxious ads. If someone else comes along and does better than google, I'll switch. Right now, that's a pretty tall order.

it think the name of it is close to a french word for a male body part. in particular the way it can be pronounced.

I got server is too busy to talk to me.

Mark

"Ask" (formerly "Ask Jeeves") results have always been hit or miss. I quit using them except rarely.

Do you want to buy a book on.......

I stop using Ask years ago.

Not impressed (favorably) by Cuil (insert thumbs down guy here)

Not impressed. Google is still the number one search for me! I typed in the name of my parents business. Google brought the homepage as the first listing. Yahoo also had the homepage at top. Even Dogpile had it as the first non-sponsored listing. Flipped thru 4 pages of results on CUIL and nothing.

Archived