IGNORED

A very brave man

Boffin

"This was a magnificent act which absolutely typified the highest traditions of commando service."

:thumbsup:

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

I can't imagine doing this sort of thing myself, but I'm not a soldier either. My gratitude goes out to all of the young men and women from all of the allied forces who routinely do similar acts.

Slyder_Steve

Wow! This kid instictively jumped on a grenade knowing he had no chance to survive--that's incredible. The fact that he walked away with a nose bleed and headache; well, I suspect he won't be buying many rounds at his local pub for a very long time.

Thanks for sharing Andy :thumbsup:

Slyder

the UK's second highest award for bravery:

Andy

What would one have to do to receive the highest award for bravery? :eek:

Pat

Andy

Pat

I know his commanding officer recommended him for the Victoria Cross. It has not been reported as to why he only recieved the George Cross.

Andy

Andy

Pat

I know his commanding officer recommended him for the Victoria Cross. It has not been reported as to why he only recieved the George Cross.

Andy

He would have had to die. Thankfully he didn't! Too many have without the recognition they deserve.

Sadly the VC is mostly awarded postumusly. For,

"most conspicuous bravery, or some daring or pre-eminent act of valour or self-sacrifice, or extreme devotion to duty in the presence of the enemy"

If back flipping onto a grenade ain't that I dunno what is?

Living recipient http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnson_Beharry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_Cross#Awarding_the_medal

Still the GC is no choclate coin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Cross

This does not surprize me. I teach at a university and I can say that many of my 18 to 28 year old army reserve students impress me with their dedication and their moral responsibily. FAR MORE than some of my fellow faculty members do.

AdventurePoser
This does not surprize me. I teach at a university and I can say that many of my 18 to 28 year old army reserve students impress me with their dedication and their moral responsibily. FAR MORE than some of my fellow faculty members do.

You might be surprised how many 12-14 year olds might do the same!

cheers,

Steve in So Cal

Yes. If I had to staff up to do something important (and I don't necessarily mean something that involves shooting and blowing things up, but that, too) I'd rather have ten people selected at random off the street at Fort Lewis than I would ten selected at random from, say, the gym in Seattle.

Pilgrim

Archived