IGNORED

DIRECTV HD Receiver Swapout?

Dick

Just got a note from DIRECTV that they are changing the way they broadcast HD signals and are offering to swap out my existing receiver for a new one at no charge. Anybody else get this offer and know why are they doing it? Their site isn't very informative.

Lets_Play_Two
Just got a note from DIRECTV that they are changing the way they broadcast HD signals and are offering to swap out my existing receiver for a new one at no charge. Anybody else get this offer and know why are they doing it? Their site isn't very informative.

I got a call telling me I would not be able to get NHL games in HD without new equipment. I don't rent equipment from them so getting the "free" new equipment would have required a 2 year commitment. I declined.

That type of receiver do you have? As of about 4 months ago you needed a 5lnb dish and a h-20 or better to see all the HD channels. They must be getting around to putting every HD channel onto the 99 and 103 satellites . The older h-10s can't see those satellites, so you would lose the few hd channels you were getting if you don't. As far as contract extensions, I have no idea about that.

That being said, if for some reason you didn't take them up on it now, and they wanted to charge you for it later when you did decide to, get the protection plan. If you have it, and your receiver "fails" for some reason, the tech that comes out would have to replace it with a current model. Great for when you want to upgrade that older hr10, but don't want to pay the $200 to upgrade to the new hr-21.

I used to install DirecTV up until 4 months ago, so if anyone has any tech related questions, feel free to pm me.

yes...new dvr. i already get all the hd channels, but took them up on the offer. also had them move the "old" dvr to another set. all this is gratis btw---slipped the fella some $$'s for the swap. damean is correct per the coversation i had with the tech. bunch of new hd channels coming online shortly. my dish was ok. they'll swap that out as well if required.

Archived