IGNORED

A bad day to be a firefighter in St. Louis

Firefight911

Firefight911

We are always prepared for the worst when the tones go off to call us to someone in need. We don't, however, hope to arrive to the crack of gun fire.

My you rest in peace my fellow firefighting brother, Ryan Hummert. 22 years old and the ultimate sacrifice paid.

LINKY

:mad::cry::mad::cry:

Jamie and my prayers go out to the family of the victims.

Firefight911

This just came across the US Fire Administration website -

Name: Ryan Hummert

Years of Service: 1

Date of Incident: 07/21/2008

Time of Incident: 0530hrs

Date of Death: 07/21/2008

Fire Department: Maplewood Fire Department

Address: 7601 Manchester Rd, Saint Louis, MO 63143-2811

Map: http://www.fidnet.com/~jlmoore/usng/?zoom=16&usng=15SYC32837721&disp=h

Fire Department Chief: Terry Merrell

Fire Department Website: http://www.cityofmaplewood.com/fire.aspx

Incident Description: Firefighter/Paramedic Hummert responded to a vehicle fire, an older model pickup truck, on Zephyr Place. As Hummert got out of his fire apparatus, he was shot and killed by a gunman inside of a nearby residence. Two police officers were also shot and wounded, one critically. As the residence used by the gunman was being surrounded by law enforcement personnel, it also caught fire and was reportedly destroyed. Status of the gunman at this writing has yet to be reported.

Incident Location: South Big Bend Boulevard and Zephyr Place (USNG: 15S YC 3315 7768)

Map View:

http://www.fidnet.com/~jlmoore/usng/?zoom=16&usng=15SYC33157768&disp=h

Funeral Arrangements: Pending

Tribute is being paid to Firefighter/Paramedic Ryan Hummert at http://www.usfa.dhs.gov/fireservice/fatalities/

This is the 68th firefighter Line of Duty Death so far this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AdventurePoser

Twenty-two years old. What a tragic waste of a good life-He is in Jennifer and my prayers...

When I worked for the local paramedic service my partner and I got shot at twice-both while running rescue calls in a very tough part of town.

In one of those instances, the gunfire came from inside the house to which we were responding!

Go figure.

Steve in So Cal

As the residence used by the gunman was being surrounded by law enforcement personnel, it also caught fire and was reportedly destroyed. Status of the gunman at this writing has yet to be reported.

....Status: Hopefully char-broiled.

May the brave fire fighter's family take refuge in knowing that he was a true role model for all of us. A true hero is one that will trade their life for another so that they may be safe. I for one am eternally thankful for him and those like him. Rest in peace.

Horrible.

Young Mr. Hummert's only thought was to help people and do good that day.

May the proper justice come to the shooter.

Does anyone know the rationale of people that shoot at fireman? Policemen?

I don't know the rationale, but I've heard it said that a society that makes war upon the cops/firefighters, had better be prepared to befriend the criminals. I hope the shooter got cooked somethin' fierce!

A very sad day indeed.

St Louis is having a problem with random shootings which often end in death. It is a city in decay. Population decreasing, schools so bad they have been taken over by the state, large business headquarters leaving, crime and drugs up.

It is due, in large part, to the lack of political leadership.

Big bucks for a new ball field for rich ball team owners while the rest of the city decays.

There is no reason for a firefighter to lose his life trying to serve the public.

Condolences to his family and all who knew him.

It's a sad testament to the calling that we do funerals so well . . . . :(

He was never alone.

So true. I would love if we actually had to say, "Hey, what's the procedure for a line of duty death?" But, all throughout the country departments know far too well. It is absolutely unthinkable the hate that must be in someones head to take the life of someone sworn to protect ALL citizens. Especially to be so cowardly as to never even show himself and then take his own life.

Archived