IGNORED

Not the best of birthdays

ShovelStrokeEd

ShovelStrokeEd

First off, thanks for all the good wishes.

It didn't work out quite as well, however.

Friday night, after nearly 700 miles of jamming from Nanuet, NY to Charlotte, NC, I noticed a little grinding noise when the bike was running slowly. OK, debris in the chain methinks. Only a few miles to my hotel so I continue.

Saturday, heading for home, another 650 miles, grinding gets worse and is noticible at speed so I pull into a rest area. Start checking things out. Some play in the rear wheel, not good, maybe a bearing. Lots of small rocks up in the countershaft sprocket area as well, I lube my chain a bunch and there is a lot of grease in there. Clean it all up and try to leave. Grinding is much worse now.

I give up and call AAA for a tow to a dealer about 20 miles back up the road. First call at 1200, I'm from Florida and they have to transfer me to local dispatch in SC. They call me back at 1230 wanting to know what town I'm in. I explain no town, I'm in the SC welcome center on I-77 just south of the border. Get a call back at 1300, they need a mile marker. Go into the office at the rest stop and get one and give it to them. At 1330, another call, they can't get anyone to me before 1530. I explain that is mid 90's out, my first call was already an hour and a half ago, the dealer will close at 1600 and that will be too late for me. Back and forth.

Finally I get a call at 1430 that there will be a truck in about 15 minutes. Guy shows and seems well equipped to haul a bike. He has a kind of tripod looking chock with wheels and plenty of straps, even a Canyon Dancer. We get the bike loaded and head for the dealer. No problems, bike is riding smooth.

While unloading, the operator puts the bike in gear for some reason. He calls me up on the tilt back to get the bike out of gear. No joy as it is loaded so I just pull in the clutch and we back it down, still on the tripod. I get the bike into neutral and he continues to back it up. THEN THE BIKE TOPPLES OVER ONTO ITS RIGHT SIDE. "WTF?", says I, "You told me this tripod was stable." With the help of some service guys we get it back upright and down to the ground. Right side mirror broken off, right lower fairing rashed, and front fender destroyed by the chock. About $900 in parts.

I'm on the phone to AAA and the driver packs up his stuff and drives away without making me sign anything. I'm not happy and can't get through to AAA to make the claim. I'll do so a little later this morning. Meanwhile the dealer is getting ready to close so I call a cab, head for the airport and rent a cage to drive home. Hertz rips me a new one at $402 for 2 days to drop at PBI. Spend the night in Charlotte, and my birthday driving a Honda Civic to home.

Did have a nice meal at my favorite pub and the only good point of the evening was they hired a new barmaid while I was gone, cute and flirty although at least 40 years too young for me.

I await the news from the dealer as to the original problem this afternoon.

Crappy story - sorry to hear that.

Have you been able to follow up with AAA and the "discuss" the bike damage by the driver drop off?

oH sCHNIKES...what a sad tale for you and your birthday and YOUR BIKE..!

I'm sure you'll make good on heads rolling - no need for my rant on that.

Good luck on getting everything back in order and moving forward again.

Best :

ugh......hope everthing works out with the bike. I had a similar disappointing experience with AAA (minus the heavy bike damage), and it was enough for me to call and imediatly cancel my service from them. I was left standing on the side of a VERY BUSY highway for 3+ hours in 40 degree weather waiting for a tow due to a failed side stand switch (I didn't have a safe place to troubleshoot it). The dispatchers were completely useless and also insisted on a mile marker because they did't have a map to look at. There were no mile markers, but I gave them the exit names and numbers that I was in between and my travel direction. Then they dipatched the driver to the wrong side of the state because (imagine this) there are more than one town with the same name in the state of MD. Then the tow ended up costing me almost $300 after I was told it was going to cost $120.

Here is to the next 364 days :thumbsup:

well from what I've read in this thread so far, I won't be calling AAA for any moto-problems in the future. Many years ago, I drove a wrecker. We were a designated provider for AAA and I can tell ya, you won't get rich hauling dead cars/bikes for them...you won't even break even.

From where it sounds like you were stranded, you'da been very close to a Honda dealer in Rock Hill, SC. There's also at least a couple of MOA members in York County. I know, not very useful info after-the-fact.

Anyhow, hope you get some resolution from these guys on the damaged bits. It's bad enough being out of commission much less having the addtl. issues.

Yikes.

I have not had such a nasty problem with AAA...but I have never needed them while I was out of town and I only use them for my cars because my employer pays for the membership-or at least most of it. I don't think I will be upgrading anytime soon.

Bummer.

I'd consider putting the issue into the hands of your local agent and telling them to reconcile the matter.

Good luck and I hope the Bird is flying again very soon.

Paul Mihalka

Ed, sorry you had such a lousy day. I'm afraid the damage to your bike is not a AAA responsibility but that of the tow truck driver and his insurance. He is just a contracted party by AAA. Good luck with that! :cry:

That sucks!

but with "cute and flirty although at least 40 years too young for me." it could be worse....

Hope your repair doesn't take you the rest of the way to the poor house!

From one Ed to another...sorry to hear about your misfortune. I am a bit confused. The waitress is 40 years too young??? I thought your were only 29 yourself. :lurk:

That just plain sucks.

Sounds like the driver took off before he could be held responsible. I wonder if that will be seen as leaving the scene of an accident?

Ed, sorry you had such a lousy day. I'm afraid the damage to your bike is not a AAA responsibility but that of the tow truck driver and his insurance. He is just a contracted party by AAA. Good luck with that! :cry:

True, but AAA would have a responsibility to assure the client that the independent contractor was insured, or AAA would have to assume liability for all their members when getting roadside assistance.

Ed's AAA agent should be able to reconstruct the incident, obtain the name and insurance information of the towing company and driver.

In addition, Ed's Insurance company has a financial interest and would want the information to subordinate the cost of repairs to the driver's Insurance company.

Raw deal Ed, but I'm sure you will persevere.

I've been away, so happy belated man. May the wisdom of another year keep you ripping your hairs out over this shit!

AdventurePoser

Wow, Ed,

Sorry to hear about your plight. What a miserable (and expensive) way to spend the day!

AAA towing service? I've had nothing but excellent service from them during the three times I've needed them for bikes...

Cheers,

Steve in So Cal

ShovelStrokeEd

In no particular order,

She's 22, I'm 66, hence 40 years. Real cute though, think Holly Marie Coombs face on Rosie McGowan's body. Not too sure about the spelling but you Charmed fans will know what I mean. Frost on the roof doesn't always mean the fire's out.

Heard from both AAA on their end and the towing service today. Seems like they are going to step up. I'll be faxing the estimates around to various parties tomorrow as soon as I get them from the dealer. Forgot to bring my cell phone with me.

AAA says they will handle my trip interruption in the form of paying for the rental car to get me home and paying for my overnight stay in Charlotte. The rep I spoke with was not sure about a rental car for this week but says she will try as my bike is my sole mode of transportation and the damage is their fault. Encouraging to say the least.

I have been with AAA since 2004 and twice before have used them to tow bikes to the dealership with no issues. The dispatchers in SC are dumber than dirt, but my home club seems to have its act together.

We shall see.

Sounds good Ed, I would have liked to be a fly on the wall when the owner spoke to the tow driver, just driving off was not professional.

Ed, sorry to hear of your downtime, but,

I can visualize the 22 yr old you speak of...

I know this is of no consolation to you, but your experience is exactly why I bought a Kendon trailer. I have used it twice already. I just park the bike and fetch it myself.

Bucks ahead in the end.

MB>

I know this is of no consolation to you, but your experience is exactly why I bought a Kendon trailer. I have used it twice already. I just park the bike and fetch it myself.

Bucks ahead in the end.

But Ed has no tow vehicle.

That sucks, your bike getting dumped! Hope everything works out for you. When your bike gets fixed, perhaps you can go with a different tow company like KOA/Allstate?

That sucks, your bike getting dumped! Hope everything works out for you. When your bike gets fixed, perhaps you can go with a different tow company like KOA/Allstate?
Wouldn't make any difference to his bike being dumped, they would probably call exactly the same tow company.
ShovelStrokeEd

OK, got the estimate this morning.

$1815.28 This includes new mirror, new front cowl, new right side fairing and labor to install.

Faxed all to AAA South and they are going to represent me to AAA Carolinas.

I should hear an a couple of days.

BTW, it was the rear wheel bearings and they are being replaced under a separate work order.

ShovelStrokeEd

The dealer, so far, has been great!

Keep in mind, I showed up at 3:30 on a Saturday afternoon when they close at 4:00.

Write up was fast, they said they would have an inspection done on the bike for the mechanical issue for me on Monday. Sure enough, Monday at 2:30 they called me. Had the parts ordered and that portion will be done by the end of the week.

The mirror, is, unfortunately on back order but they will keep the order active till I pick up the bike. They other parts will have to await the insurance settlement or however that resolves. Worst comes to the worst, I'll duct tape the sucker back on and live with the scratches and scrapes till this is resolved.

Dealer deserves a mention, Charlotte Honda, on Freedom Drive in Charlotte, NC. A real pro operation.

Glad things are in motion so can you be whole again. I know the frustration of mishaps while trailering...

but im my case, the only person to blame was me :dopeslap:[and gravity :grin:]

Hope you are on the road soon.

Archived