IGNORED

Smug Mug Down

azkaisr

But that isn't why I am posting this message. I am posting because in this day of internet forums I have been laughing like a Hyena at some of the posts that the people impacted by the outage are saying. They are complaining because it is now HOURS after the site went down and they can't fix it. Reminds me of a time a long time ago when I worked in the Airline business and had a woman demanding that I authorize a plane to take off. The issue was that there were at least 10 inches of snow on the runway and even the snowplow drivers wouldn't go out in the cold. Her last statement has never left me. "You own the airplane, make it take off!" I replied to her that I had more hope in making her take off, but neither was really possible.

Makes me wonder how people got by when all you had was mail and not the internet

You clearly don't have any understanding of what's at stake here.

I have at LEAST 175 pictures left to up-load from my trip. :mad:

When will the humanity end?

Couchrocket

Yeah! Me too... I have some photos I want to post on our breakfast w/ Nando in Julian this morning... no Smug... so no mugs to post! :grin:

russell_bynum

Yeah! Me too... I have some photos I want to post on our breakfast w/ Nando in Julian this morning... no Smug... so no mugs to post! :grin:

Nice to see you and the Harley this morning.

That bike looks nice sitting still, but it looks great rolling down the road. That metallic paint really shines in the sunlight.

Yeah, but how's this for communication? I sure wish we could've gotten a small fraction of this level of communication with our host during the last upgrade! :mad:

9:05 AM PDT We are currently experiencing elevated error rates with S3. We are investigating.

9:26 AM PDT We're investigating an issue affecting requests. We'll continue to post updates here.

9:48 AM PDT Just wanted to provide an update that we are currently pursuing several paths of corrective action.

10:12 AM PDT We are continuing to pursue corrective action.

10:32 AM PDT A quick update that we believe this is an issue with the communication between several Amazon S3 internal components. We do not have an ETA at this time but will continue to keep you updated.

11:01 AM PDT We're currently in the process of testing a potential solution.

11:22 AM PDT Testing is still in progress. We're working very hard to restore service to our customers.

11:45 AM PDT We are still in the process of testing a series of configuration changes aimed at bringing the service back online.

12:05 PM PDT We have now restored communication between a small subset of hosts. We are working on restoring internal communication across the rest of the fleet. Once communication is fully restored, then we will work to restore request processing.

12:25 PM PDT We have restored communication between additional hosts and are continuing this work across the rest of the fleet. Thank you for your continued patience.

12:51 PM PDT The restored hosts are stable and we are moving forward in restoring communication between additional hosts.

1:17 PM PDT We continue to make incremental progress and communication between additional hosts has been restored. We are continuing with the plan to restore communication across Amazon S3's large fleet of hosts.

1:38 PM PDT At this point, we are accelerating progress on restoring internal communication as all signs continue to look good.

2:03 PM PDT We have restored all internal communication between hosts in the EU and we are continuing to make progress in the US. Once all internal communication has been restored, we will start a multi-step process to begin accepting requests across Amazon S3 locations.

2:19 PM PDT A quick update to let you know that we have now also restored all internal communication between hosts in our West Coast facilities in the US.

2:36 PM PDT We have restored all internal communication across Amazon S3 hosts. We have started the multi-step process to begin accepting requests across Amazon S3 locations.

3:07 PM PDT We are attempting to bring EU back up now, followed by our US locations. EU will be first due to the smaller number of hosts. No data has been lost during this incident.

3:23 PM PDT EU service has been fully restored. We have been working on the US in parallel but restoration will take longer due to fleet size.

4:03 PM PDT We are in the process of restoring Amazon S3 US, and will shortly be bringing the web servers back online. We expect the service will be restored within 1 hour.

4:22 PM PDT US service has been partially restored. We continue to work to fully restore the service.

Couchrocket

Nice to see you and the Harley this morning.

That bike looks nice sitting still, but it looks great rolling down the road. That metallic paint really shines in the sunlight.

Russell, Thanks! I appreciated the warm welcome this morning. Good to see everyone, and to be able to give Fernando a nice turn out to say a proper hello / good-bye!

As soon as SmugMug gets back up, I'll post some photos.

Reminds me of a time a long time ago when I worked in the Airline business and had a woman demanding that I authorize a plane to take off. The issue was that there were at least 10 inches of snow on the runway and even the snowplow drivers wouldn't go out in the cold.

10 inches of snow in Phoenix?

I'm callin' BS

Hi ya Tom

:wave:

Reminds me of a time a long time ago when I worked in the Airline business and had a woman demanding that I authorize a plane to take off. The issue was that there were at least 10 inches of snow on the runway and even the snowplow drivers wouldn't go out in the cold.

10 inches of snow in Phoenix?

I'm callin' BS

Hi ya Tom

:wave:

It was a dry snow Mr. Duck

:grin:

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

This raises an interesting point though...I have all of my photos stored with SmugMug...and nowhere else. Not that it would be the end of the world if I lost them all, but I'd be sad about it. I suppose I ought to pull a set to another drive...

Francois_Dumas

Makes me wonder how people got by when all you had was mail and not the internet

I could tell you...... but the ISP's and Bill Gates probably would force me to shoot you if I did !! :grin:

Francois_Dumas
This raises an interesting point though...I have all of my photos stored with SmugMug...and nowhere else.

Hmmmm..... bad idea :/ I bought a 1 Terabyte disk drive recently (costs as much as a 20 Mb drive 10 years a go), and backed up all my computer files on it..... including 60.000 digital photos. I have them on another PC as well and on a second (ONLY) 300 Gb USB drive too.

They are part of my business, yes, but now with Mom probably going soon I wouldn't want to lose pictures of her yet.....

I can't imagine doing that. I don't even load full resolution shots:

Takes too long and I don't want printable stuff on the internet. I post process them to 96 dpi and 800 pixels wide, then upload.

As far as I am concerned smugmug is just for hosting. Then the only risk is to prior posts ending up with broken links.

For storage I have dual disk RAID in the desktop, and an external disk in the fire safe.

One of these web photo services went belly up without warning about a year ago.

This raises an interesting point though...I have all of my photos stored with SmugMug...and nowhere else. Not that it would be the end of the world if I lost them all, but I'd be sad about it. I suppose I ought to pull a set to another drive...
Your pictures should be safe on SmugMug as long as they and Amazon are in business. The failure was actually with Amazon's S3 service which is what SmugMug uses for storage. S3 is a full on storage service with redundant backups and online sources, how they managed to bring down their entire systems in Europe and the US is a bit of a mystery to me, no doubt several people will be looking for new jobs this morning. I use S3 directly for my backup storage, I have almost 50GB stored there, mostly the raw files from my camera but also monthly backups of my computers.
Your pictures should be safe on SmugMug as long as they and Amazon are in business. The failure was actually with Amazon's S3 service which is what SmugMug uses for storage. S3 is a full on storage service with redundant backups and online sources, how they managed to bring down their entire systems in Europe and the US is a bit of a mystery to me, no doubt several people will be looking for new jobs this morning. I use S3 directly for my backup storage, I have almost 50GB stored there, mostly the raw files from my camera but also monthly backups of my computers.
So the way I read that is you have all your eggs in one basket. I think it might be time to re-evaluate backup strategy.

A local USB hard drive would be a good supplement.

So the way I read that is you have all your eggs in one basket. I think it might be time to re-evaluate backup strategy.

I just didn't write the whole story - 2 local USB drives, 2 DVDs of each batch, one stored remotely. I lost my photos once before, won't happen again.
Francois_Dumas

Ever so slightly off topic: I just read somewhere that Smugmug is founded and owned by the fella that owns ADVRider...... so THAT is why they are both black !!?? :Cool:

I just didn't write the whole story - 2 local USB drives, 2 DVDs of each batch, one stored remotely. I lost my photos once before, won't happen again.
:thumbsup:
Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
Ever so slightly off topic: I just read somewhere that Smugmug is founded and owned by the fella that owns ADVRider...... so THAT is why they are both black !!?? :Cool:
Actually I believe the owner is Caucasian. :grin:

:clap:

On the other hand, my photos look noticeably better on Smugmug where the background is black than on this forum where the background is lighter.

You can change to the dark background in your preferences. Also might that not help conserve battery power for browsing on unplugged laptops?

You can change to the dark background in your preferences. Also might that not help conserve battery power for browsing on unplugged laptops?

Nice!!!! I was on green. I think there for a while after the software upgrade there weren't so many choices. I hadn't noticed the new additions.

Dark it is!

Jan

Francois_Dumas

I had to think a while before I 'got it'...... :grin::/

bakerzdosen

OK, so this appeals to maybe 2 people on here (and one is posting the info), but alas...

Marketing info (fluff) about Smugmug

Smugmug video (click the link for a new window.)

Geeky stuff, but I learned a little from it when I read and saw these...

Joe Frickin' Friday
...2 local USB drives...

Maybe not a big concern out there in Torrey (population 9, including Fletcher, who counts as 2), but for a short time I had an external USB hard drive, and I became concerned about how easy it would be for a thief to grab that. Sure, a determined and thorough burglar would grab the PC, but someone in a rush will find it rather easy to swipe an external HD that's just sitting on your desk.

I don't use the USBHD anymore; I keep multiple backup DVD's tucked away in safe places at home and at work.

...2 local USB drives...

Maybe not a big concern out there in Torrey (population 9, including Fletcher, who counts as 2), but for a short time I had an external USB hard drive, and I became concerned about how easy it would be for a thief to grab that.

I hadn't really considered that and I do have the DVDs, of course they would also take my main computer which is a laptop sitting next to the USB drives. As you say it's not much of a concern here, I don't worry about it usually because I don't have much "stuff" that has personal value and what I do have isn't worth anything to a thief, but losing the drives would be inconvenient. I do look at the pictures on them fairly often, perhaps I'll put them in a hidden compartment in my desk.

Archived