IGNORED

Digital Camera Memory

Albert

Since we have so many talented photogs around here I thought I'd ask. I have a Fujifilm digital camera and would like to buy a second memory card as a backup when away from home. Are all xD picture cards created equal or do I need to look for a Fujifilm card only? Thanks in advance.

Some cameras have 'special features' that only work when using the camera maker branded cards. (eg. - Olympus forces you to buy their cards if you want to use the in-camera panoramic stitching...)

If your owner's manual for the camera doesn't specify anything like that (or you don't care for/need the 'feature') then any card will work. I looked at a FujiFilm xD card product description, and it doesn't mention anything about it, so you're probably fine.

Check out DealRam.com - they keep track which vendor has the best price on all sorts of memory media. (Link to the xD page: http://dealnews.com/memory/prices/x-D-Card/31/2GB.html )

Jerry Johnston

I have a Fujifilm S5000 and looked to see if all 3 cards I have are Fuji and they were. I see Sandisk is approx. the same cost but Lexar is half as much. There are 2 types H & M. Type M is the original and type H is 3x faster but may not read in your card reader.

Not all manufacturers are created equal though. I'd stick with a name brand (like sandisk) before spendling less on a no-name card.

Archived