IGNORED

Playing guitar

Hoover

Always wanted to play guitar. Tried when I was a teenager, never dedicated myself to it. Did not come naturally and it took longer than a day to learn. :mad:

My wife bought me a nice 6 string for Christmas, but it has just been setting on its stand since. I want to learn how to play, I just do not have allot of time with kids, riding, oh yea and work. The local "guitar center" store does not give lessons (which seems odd).

So are there any guitar players out there that can give me advice? Are there good books that teach basic skills quickly so I do not get frustrated and quit again, or any advice on finding a good teacher?

Do you want to 'really' learn to play the guitar (read and understand music), or just learn songs? A good teacher can teach you either or both. Each is good if it pleases your artistic inner self.

Learning songs first could keep you interested enough to learn the musicianship involved down the line.

There are tons of on-line courses (Google "guitar lessons") or if you're near a Community College, they usually have courses to take. Lots of resources available at varying costs.

learning to play the guitar is no different than any other musical insturment, it takes time patience and practice, lots of practice. If you are dedicated to it it will happen, if you think there are short cuts you are thinking wrong. The best way is to find a good teacher and be prepared for sore fingers and a lot of frustration in the beginning.

Hoover said and it took longer than a day to learn.

Hey Greg

I'm a very-late-starting beginner piano player, and I've had similar frustrations. One thing that keeps me going is I try to "enjoy the journey" rather than "get somewhere". Sound familiar? Yes, much like motorcycle touring, I've learned to appreciate each practice session for what it is, for where I am at that moment (and sometimes it seems like I'm not progressing, but I've learned about the "plateaus"). '

A few publications along the way have helped me out ...

A book Making Music for the Joy of it by Stephanie Judy

Instead of reading "Guitar Player" magazine (and getting frustrated that you don't sound like Clapton), you might check out http://www.makingmusicmag.com/ . I find it very educational about all kinds of things musical, and it keeps my enthusiasm up.

And lastly, the old advice still rings true: it's better to practice 10 minutes each day, rather than once a week for 1 hour or whatever. As the wise man once said "Practice only on the days that you eat" :grin:

Enjoy!

------------------

Chris (aka Tender Vittles )

Little '77 KZ400 in the Big Apple

Black '99 RT for Everywhere Else, such as ...

310287-mar2004.gif

find a good teacher and be prepared for sore fingers and a lot of frustration in the beginning

+1 on a good teacher...find one that will work on a pace that you can enjoy. Be willing to change teachers as necessary this is not high school where you are stuck with your teacher....

If you have not done it (even though the guitar is new) have a proper SETUP done on the guitar. It's amazing how much easier the guitar is to play and how much better it will sound.

Find a group of "older people" who do weekly acustic jam sessions. These "older retired players" can teach you timing better than anyone in these jam sessions. This will also expose you to someone whose style you like and maybe you can get togeather for some informal instruction (a GREAT way to learn) Do not pick the person who is "FULL" of themselves, rather , pick the person who sits in the background and keeps the groups pace togeather...

Just a couple of hints....good luck

My "other hobby" outside of motorcycles...

1939 Epiphone Blackstone archtop

1964 Gibson J45 "my favorite box"

1969 Sears Classical guitar

Gibson Les Paul

Big Bay Taylor

New York Pro electric Archtop

1965 Epiphone Sheraton

Custom re-built Dean 12 string

just to name a few.... :dopeslap:

+1 on finding a good teacher, but how does one define "good"? :dopeslap:

Some teachers are good with teaching theory, reading, technique, etc. Others teach a more informal method combining chord sheet (piano) music, and TAB with the book(s).

Many-many moons ago when I taught guitar I'd try to find music which the student wanted to play. Sometimes this meant borrowing an album or 45 (yes, it really was that long ago), learning the song and transposing it into a key which was easy for the student to play. I still remember learning House Of The Rising Sun - not because it was such an amazing song, but rather because of the enthusiasm it gave the student to learn and practice. It was his favorite song and by giving him a "simple version" it inspired him to play. As he improved I showed him new techniques and made the song more complex. I also spent time with students trying to have them learn to play by ear and to memorize music. These are both key components of the Suzuki piano method.

As others have already pointed out, the bottom line is to have fun. It doesn't matter this means sitting at the computer and learning TAB and playing MP3's at half speed, or joining a church folk group, just do what makes it fun. As instruments go guitar is easy to pickup and make music, but is not to be confused with mastering the instrument! :thumbsup:

If you can learn a the basic three chords in a few keys (E and C) you can have a lot of fun and get excited about your progress. You can sing most folk and easy songs against three chords. Once you get practice strumming with your right hand and changing chords with your leaft hand you will be comfortable moving on to learn more.

I would suggest you just start strumming with the right hand untill you can get an even rythem for about a minute. Next take the basic "E" chord progression (E,A & B-7) and learn how to change fingers with your left hand. It's akward at first but stay with it. Strum slowly and take your time changing fingers. Just keep practicing going back and forth around these three chords untill you can change them fairly easily at a modest rate of speed.

Keep practicing and add new chord progressions to the E progression you just learned.

+1 on everything Velomoto said. I'll add that it can be frustrating at times, but more often than not relaxing / soothing. If you enjoy it, it will come. When it's a chore, well, forgeddaboutit...

Too bad you are in Colorado, I'd offer lessons. You'd learn lots of Dead People songs.

Get a cord book and work on the fingerings. I'm an old folky and never accomplished sophisticated fingering stuff but have entertained folks at rallies before and actually been thanked for my efforts. There are tons of how to books out there and lots have cd's to give a listen to. Arty Traum has a scad of learning guides.

For real lessons, check the phone book or the local Jr college etc.

Growing calluses is an interesting experience. Before you get the calluses, you wince in pain after a bit of practice. :wave:

Thanks all for the replies. I never thought of the community college approach, maybe I wil take a look at what they offer. Will defintley pick up a copy of the book Chirs recommended.

Thanks.

It really depends on what you want to get out of it.

What I mean is with a few chords, you can literally strum along with hundreds of songs you already know. Strum along with your mp3s blasting on your computer! You can find chord diagrams online, along with chord progressions for darn near any song you're interested in.

I get a ton of enjoyment out of just that. I can play a couple dozen songs pretty well, and that's about the limit of my level of interest. I play a couple other instruments as well -- not too serious about those either. Nothing great, but quite adequate.

My point is, you don't need any "fancy learnin'" just to play some songs. Try some of the free stuff out there and see how you like it. If you need weekly lessons to force yourself to practice....well, that's different.

Regadless what or 'how far' you want to go, try lessons with a teacher that will teach you to read music, getting well into 'book one' will be a very good thing (I work at a music store) and this does go for all ages! Bottom line is to have fun with it, and don't frustrate yourself....PATIENCE! Something I didn't have, so I play drums...and thats not to say (for all you real drummers out there) that drums is a cop-out, since I didn't take lessons when younger, I can see I would have been better with them. As it is I can work on guitars, tuning and what not, wish I could really play them! Too lazy to learn the right way now, I'd rather rider my bikes! :) As for the guitar center, just like many 'box' stores, they have little if any service (ie lessons) many regular shops offer lessons, as it helps with income and word of mouth for business.

I'm the same way.

I have a gorgeous 1971 Gibson acoustic that got me through a sea tour in the Navy, a divorce and several very special holiday seasons playing for some wonderful kids at a children's home.

I dink around on it a little bit, mostly because I feel guilty seeing it sit there untouched.

We've been through a lot and have many stories to share together. I may never bend another string on it, but I don't think I could ever get rid of it.

Lots of good things mentioned already. As a finger style player, moving in that direction is helpful for those of us that don't sing (or want to) otherwise strumming is the answer...lots of "free" websites to learn from as well...nothing like watching over and over at your own pace. Instructional dvd's as well, for all levels of players @ a price.

*Free; www.guitarweek.com

www.justinguitar.com

www.chordie.com

www.learnclasscalguitar.com

*Not Free; www.stefangrossmansguitarworkshop.com

*And don't forget about a local guitar club.

If you like bluegrass (my obsession), flatpicking bluegrass and fiddle tunes is a lot of fun and very challenging. There is a guy named Steve Kaufman who puts on workshops all over the country, and has two week long camps in Maryville, TN in June that are a blast. The camp is for several different types of instruments, so jams go on all night. They have classes for every level from a beginning player to very advanced. They have concerts every night after dinner that feature some of the best musicians anywhere. Its a great time, and you learn a lot. I went to his camp in 2002, and hope to go again next year. He also has a lot of instructional material on his site.

http://www.flatpik.com/

http://www.acoustic-kamp.com/

I 'played around' with guitar for 30 odd years, mostly for writing folk/country songs. Just this last year, however, I picked up a classical guitar and have been learning the classical style. For my money, if you can learn classical, you will eventually be able to play ANYTHING you want - but it's not easy...

If I had it to do over again, I'd start with classical...

Hope it helps, and no matter what style you go with - don't stop. Music has the power to soothe the beast...

young guitar player to Hank Williams, "But Hank, I only know G, C and D."

Hank Williams, "Hell son, that's all there is!".

Don't know if that story is true but it is true enough, G, C, and D or the I, IV, V chords covers a lot of ground.

I've found over the years one really has to make the time to play. It doesn't have to be much, 10 - 15 minutes a day will work, but it's got to be done. If you can't or won't find that kind of time, a teacher no matter how good is a waste of money. And eventually the teacher will drop you if they can because it is no fun to try teach something to someone who won't work at it! DAMHIK. JD

Archived