IGNORED

Stupid crashes we work............

motorman587

motorman587

Saturday, calls goes out. Person has flat tire wants police to change flat. He ran over a 4' platic lane divider which was in the middle of the road, where someone else, driver claims, had knocked in the road. He made a u-turn in the intersection, saw the divider lying there, but could not avoid it cause of traffic. He then ran over it and got a flat from the base of the divider. He could not change the flat because he was missing a part to get to the flat tire. He feels the city should be held liable causing the flat.... :dopeslap: Told him it was a state road, not a city road. Called a wrecker, but the wrecker could not help. He did not want to pay the $65 tow fee to a tire fix it shop. Filled out a crash report to make him happy. "You know if you are a redneck, if you call the police to change tire". :D

I dunno; I would think a redneck would know how to change a tar (proper pronunciation of tire in redneck-dom). I would think it would be a helpless yuppie that couldn't do it. :grin:

(I know you were kidding there at the last, BTW...and so am I, lest the haircut analyzers go nuts and chastise us both for stereotyping and profiling!)

"You know if you are a redneck, if you call the police to change tire". :D

I don't think so..A redneck doesn't carry a spare.. :dopeslap:

John, you have to come to torrey and meet 90% and Russell. Or she needs to come to Blue ridge with him next time. I'm so glad I know both/all 3 of you.

Enjoyed the tale as well...next time I need a tire changed, I'll try to be in TLH.

My mother worked at a state job here recently, and the department she worked in did not have any kind of road assistance what so ever. Her supervisors advice was to actually call the local PD where she was at if she were to break down! Needless to say, my mother used her personal road side insurance to cover a couple of flats the one time she did get stuck. I think some people take the term "public servant" a little too far sometimes :dopeslap:

ShovelStrokeEd

As far as I know, Florida Highway Patrol will assist with flats. I don't know if they are required to but I have seen them helping out a couple of times. Really good PR and certainly reassuring to the motorist.

Way back when, around 1973 or so, I used to teach and adult education course on basic maintenance for the driver. Stuff like checking oil, changing fan belts, changing flats, battery maintenance and the like. The class was packed with folks from all walks of life in every session. I would bring in my drag bike and put it up on a table to illustrate how brakes worked, using a dip stick and tire inflation. Would take one or two of the student's cars and do a complete inspection as well.

This would make a great community college or adult education course.

You can't teach common sense though and there will always be folks who wind up driving over curbs or other obstructions. I watched an old guy in a big Buick drive over not one but two of those parking curbs in a mall lot. The way was clear forward and he just put it in gear and rocked and rolled. Lots of banging, bumping, rocking and sparks, he never slowed down. I'm thinking fear of backing up overrode fear of damage.

Jerry Johnston

I figure if a policeman did help change a tire and a speeder came by he'd complain about the officers dirty hands and uniform. Ya know you just can't win.

Archived