IGNORED

FWIW ... Happy for my son ...

TyTass

I've always refrained from the Baby on Board window signs, bumper stickers announcing "Proud Parent of a <insert school of choice here> Honor Student", and other similar public displays parental pride that most often serve only to ellicit nausea in others, but I find I can't contain my enthusiasm that my youngest son's new band ( Echoes of Us ) was just selected by Ernie Ball - Music Man Battle of the Bands 12 to play as one of the local bands for the Warped Tour this Wed. in Columbia MD.

Note: If you don't like heavy music - don't bother following the link above. If you do, check 'em out & feel free to PM me.

It's not like they've made it. It's no crowning achievement like headlining some major event or getting a multi-record deal with a studio, but it was quaite an achievement to be selected from a cast of thousands, and to have a phenominal opportunity to have his band's music heard, sell merch, and meet people in the business.

Making it in the music industry is most often a long, arduous, and frustrating path, so I'm happy for them in making it up to this very important step in so short a time.

Les is more

Niiice!

Time to have a bumper sticker made, Dad. :grin:

I know how much work and practice it takes to have a good sound. This is a big step. Congratulations to the whole band!

Congrats on your son's musical success. I hope he and his bandmates can keep the momentum going and manage to make a living out of it.

I've always said that you may not like the music or the genera, but you have to respect the talent. Music is in no way, shape, or form easy in any of it's mediums, so good on him. This might end up being the "door" that his group has been trying to get their foot in, so congrats to all of the group.

ericfoerster

WOW, nice sound. I really liked it!

Seems like they are well on their way...congrats!

I'd buy a CD of that.

be proud and wear it on your sleeve!! whether it's music (any kind), sports or even barrel racing (my daughter) you deserve to be proud as hell. as long as our kids are experiencing the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat it's cool. the lesson that hard work usually does payoff is powerful. it's also enjoyable for the parents to see the kids digging there non-academic interests.

once again congrats to your son and enjoy the ride!

Wheels Rollin'
I've always said that you may not like the music or the genera, but you have to respect the talent. Music is in no way, shape, or form easy in any of it's mediums, so good on him. This might end up being the "door" that his group has been trying to get their foot in, so congrats to all of the group.

+1, Craig... Be shamelessly proud of what he's accomplished so far... He deserves to experience that from you -- and you deserve to experience it as well <>... It's a difficult business that oftentimes rewards 'marketing' over musicianship, so as long as he | they go in knowing that and remain unwaveringly true to themselves and what they wish to accomplish, they'll always be successful in the most pure of its forms... There is great honor in that too...

~ Bill

P.S. An' for what it's worth, I'd download it..

Brian, you hit an important point/tangent ... I agree ... Whatever a kid's chosen career/interest/hobby - music, school, sports, or underwater basket weaving - hard work pays off. But I think it isn't quite enough.

In my years of coaching soccer over a 12-year period, I believe the majority of kids understood that on a fairly consistent basis. But what I found increasingly difficult to convey over the years was the importance of dedication and sacrifice. More and more I found kids spreading themselves so thin in so many activities that they simply couldn't excel (stand-out) to the level they desired. It's the old Jack-of-all-Trades issue.

I'm not saying kids shouldn't partake in multiple activities. However, if they want to go to college to pursue a professional career and they don't focus on their academics, they don't learn what they need to to either enter or do well beyond. If they dream of being a professional soccer player and played 3-4 sports, they probably won't get to the next level. And in the case of the various forms of popular music, if the members don't want to dedicate themselves to their music and sacrifice (incessant partying, having nice "stuff", focussing on contingencies), then they won't make it to the next level, either.

The down side is, even if our kids do all the right things, there's no guarantees for success. So, they might as well choose something where they'll enjoy the trip there (like you said, enjoy the ride). And that to me is what we parents should support - their choices.

Archived