Some of their brands that those in the US may recognize:

Becks

Bass

Boddingtons

Labatt

Lowenbrau

Spaten

St Pauli Girl

In Bass and Franziskaner they own two of my favourite brews, but not my absolute favourite - Guinness - that's owned by Diageo, the biggest alcoholic drink company in the world...

ShovelStrokeEd

1/2 and 1/2 Stella and one of the alcoholic ciders, wonderful stuff, know as a "wife beater", I believe.

Stella is a wonderful beer if it is fresh and coming out of a tap that gets a lot of use. It doesn't age well in my opinion.

InBev is really more of a Brazilian led company then Dutch. They are also known for being horrible in the labor relations department.

I am not a big bud fan so this one won't break my heart.

Kaisr

Can't wait for next year's superbowl commercials. Hercule Poirot piloting the beer wagon into the stadium pulled by a team of Belgian draft horses, then crushing a Bud can on his forehead. Careful of those "leetle grey cells". :grin:

Maybe this will mean that Bud will become a drink similar to my favorite European beers but I can't imagine Bud being accepted in Europe.

Guinness, now that's a beer!

Bruce

. . . but I can't imagine Bud being accepted in Europe.

O contrare mon ami. Five or six years ago when I was heavy into Global travel, it was indeed "trendy" for Europeans to drink American beers of all types. It was incredible to sit in a small cafe in Bavaria and watch the younger Germans order Miller and Bud in bottles. It may have changed but it was a real phenominon then at least.

Maybe this will mean that Bud will become a drink similar to my favorite European beers but I can't imagine Bud being accepted in Europe.

Bruce

Unfortunately American Bud was quite the thing in Europe and Britain a couple of years ago. (Boffin can update me if it's fallen from favour since I was last over there)

p.s. in England they now have 'Extra Cold" taps for Guinness, you can hardly taste it.

baggerchris

#1 Guinness!

I guess now it will be trendy to drink Bud in one of those little pussy Belgian glasses instead of a real mug or bar glass.

#1 Guinness!

I guess now it will be trendy to drink Bud in one of those little pussy Belgian glasses instead of a real mug or bar glass.

Hey, if it improves Bud (I know, a stretch) then it's a good thing! :grin:

Bruce

Unfortunately American Bud was quite the thing in Europe and Britain a couple of years ago. (Boffin can update me if it's fallen from favour since I was last over there)

p.s. in England they now have 'Extra Cold" taps for Guinness, you can hardly taste it.

I just checked with my 24yo son, Bud is still popular as is Miller light and Coors light. I'll stick to Pedigree unless I can get Hicks Special Draught or Old Hooky.

Andy

... They are also known for being horrible in the labor relations department.

That's got people on pins and needles here. A-B is one of this area's larger employers. Could be interesting to watch.

I gave up most macro brews for Lent quite a while ago, so I could hardly care less about the product line and I think Andy's subject line is funny. However, I wouldn't expect the core of the product line to change much. They sell a LOT of it, and will probably continue to do so.

I only drink budlight when i go to the bar, which is not very often. I do most of my drinking at home, and for that I'll stick to my Samuel Smith

I only drink budlight when i go to the bar, which is not very often. I do most of my drinking at home, and for that I'll stick to my Samuel Smith
I often wonder if Americans who like British beers would like them in their native habitat, they're often different. I won't drink Bass in bottles here, it tastes off (sort of sweet) to me, but in English pubs it's magnificent. Heineken is actually brewed to have that 'imported' flavour for the US, that flavour was originally from spoilage, Heineken tastes wonderful in Europe and is worse than Bud here. Sam Smiths in a pub is another fabulous beer, I do drink the bottled version, but it isn't the same.

I'd like to try it off the tap, but I haven't found anyplace round my parts that has it. It's hard enough to find it in a bottle:grin:

Heineken is actually brewed to have that 'imported' flavour for the US, that flavour was originally from spoilage, Heineken tastes wonderful in Europe and is worse than Bud here.

According to their website, they use the same recipe for all of their beer sold world wide, save 5% that is for alcohol controlled regions.

This sounds very much like urban legend. Do you have a source or is this just your own observation leading to a theory?

Not that I particularly care about Heineken, or Budweiser...

Maybe InBev will mandate adherence to reinheitsgebot and A-B will quit brewing with rice the filthy pretend beer makers....

Only reason to care what happens to A-B is if you like any of the smaller breweries they've gobbled up or bought chunks of. Redhook comes to mind.

Whenever I'm in Belgium I always take back with me few bottles of Leffe - it never tastes the same after I get it home. I'm not sure if the airplane ride doesn't agree with it or what is the reason. Here in summer time I drink Czech Pilsner - and Cutthroat in the winter.

Mark

would this qualify for a beer topic?

An E-Mail From Ireland

Thoughts from across the pond

A point to ponder

'We, in Ireland, can't figure out why people are even bothering to hold an election in the United States. On one side, you have a pants wearing lawyer, married to a lawyer who can’t keep his pants on, who just lost a long and heated primary against a lawyer who goes to the wrong church who is married to yet another lawyer who doesn't even like the country her husband wants to run. Now...On the other side, you have a nice old war hero whose name starts with the appropriate Mc terminology married to a good looking younger woman who owns a beer distributorship.

What, in Lords name, are you lads thinking over there in the colonies??

I'm not sure if the airplane ride doesn't agree with it or what is the reason.

Changing pressurization, lack of refrigeration, opening it at a different altitude and/ or temperature once you get it home - all could be factors.

Some beers are better the fresher they are. Some age quite well and gain complexity and improved flavor. Some don't seem to care as long as they are refrigerated and not allowed to oxidize.

But the idea of a brewer intentionally skunking beer is quite odd to me.

Changing pressurization, lack of refrigeration, opening it at a different altitude and/ or temperature once you get it home - all could be factors.

That has to be it - I'm grateful that Cutthroat doesn't change on me after I get it to SC - that's one of the things I like about Utah.

Heineken is actually brewed to have that 'imported' flavour for the US, that flavour was originally from spoilage, Heineken tastes wonderful in Europe and is worse than Bud here.

According to their website, they use the same recipe for all of their beer sold world wide, save 5% that is for alcohol controlled regions.

This sounds very much like urban legend. Do you have a source or is this just your own observation leading to a theory?

It's ancient information, I read it in a beer magazine in the 80s sometime when I was really into brewing. Nevertheless, Heineken does taste skunky to me.

I would like Inbev to know that my brewery, which makes better beer then A-B, can be had for far less then the $50billion or so.

Heck, call it $1 billion and they can have the whole shooting match, recipes included.

Since moving to Colorado I've given up on the "macro brews". My favorite brews are from names such as New Belgium, Odell's, Tommyknocker, and Left Hand. No, I'm not a big fan of the "chain micro brews" but will stop at one of these places to avoid the dilemma of deciding between Bud or Coors.

Not sure if anyone else uses this, but I've found PubCrawler.com to be quite useful in finding new brews on the road. Unfortunately I can't say the reviews are always accurate, but perhaps that is all part of what makes it an adventure! :thumbsup:

aNDY - what do you know of Ruddles County Ale ? I think it's the cat's meow..!

Your thoughts??

It used to be a very good pint though it needs a good celler-man to keep the beer in best condition. It has suffered in recent years though since Ruddles was taken over by Greene King of Bury St Edmonds and they closed down the Rutland brewery where the beer originated. Change the water, change the beer. Not to mention the change from the Victorian brewing equipment.

I have fond (partial) memories of a brewery tour a few months before the disastrous takeover.

Andy

Yes, it was Ruddles Best bitter with a different label. I do not know if Greene King have kept that contract though.

Andy

Yes, it was Ruddles Best bitter with a different label. I do not know if Greene King have kept that contract though.

Andy

I'll be over there in 3 weeks and will plan on serious research :grin:

Archived