IGNORED

Internet Radio!

Couchrocket

Couchrocket

I've been a radio nut all my life. As a kid I listened to Old Time Radio when it wasn't "old time!" Saturday mornings with the Lone Ranger, the Cisco Kid... evenings with Jack Benny, The Shadow, The Green Hornet, Sherlock Holmes...

And as I grew older I started listening to talk radio. NPR, Michael Jackson (not that one), and some of the late night radio immortals.

In the last few years it has been interesting to listen to as broad a spectrum of information (pardon the pun) as possible, and also to "Old Time Radio" from various stations in the U.S.

THEN I MOVED TO THE INLAND EMPIRE OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA. Which is radio signal hell. Can't get squat out here. So I started listening to "radio" on my computer.

And then, I discovered "Internet Radios"... and bought myself a Sangean WFR-20 . This thing is cool. I have presets for all over the world, and best of all it works just like a normal clock radio... with my favorite device in the world... the SLEEP TIMER! (I've been falling asleep to Old Time Radio shows for over 20 years - and I was in severe withdrawal out here in radio hell.)

Any of the rest of you using something like this? Any tips on especially good programming from around the world?

I've been hankering after such a device in the last few days, didn't know they existed (I thought they were too complicated to be made from their component parts :grin:)

I really want one I can carry around in the yard when I'm working out there. Since it is mains powered and too big to carry in a pocket I don't really see an advantage over a laptop, better sound maybe but my main use would be spoken word. (I want to listen to the cricket commentary while I'm outside).

Reading your post it seems you actually have one, didn't get that the first time through. Could you tell me if it can get BBC Radio Five Live.

Reading your post it seems you actually have one, didn't get that the first time through. Could you tell me if it can get BBC Radio Five Live.
Answered my own question, it seems the device gets its station identification from a British company called Reciva, on their web site there is a searchable list of stations. Besides that it is possible to add radio station URLs to the list.

Running out of radio options in Torrey..? :grin:

There are fully portable options (as long as you are in Wifi range) available via some personal media players like the Archos 604, Apple iTouch, or other units with built-in WiFi and web browsers. These aren't cheap though because they include a lot more functionality than you're probably looking for.

Couchrocket
Answered my own question, it seems the device gets its station identification from a British company called Reciva, on their web site there is a searchable list of stations. Besides that it is possible to add radio station URLs to the list.

Bob,

Also, there are models available from other companies that are "portables".... in fact, I debated getting one rather than the fixed "bedroom clock radio" configuration.

Take a look at her here e for some options that might work well for your needs! They are "spendy" right now, but I'll bet the prices will drop like a rock over the coming months.

Archived