IGNORED

I have always been in awe of our Medical community

Mike O

And particularly of our medical expertise and innovations. Surgical procedures like repairing a failed valve in a heart, rebuilding a knee, transplanting corneas, and the list goes on. While I don't follow medical advances on a regular basis, this headline jumped out amongst the daily financial hysteria:

Greatest Surgeon of 20th Century Dies

I had never heard of this doctor before, but after reading this story, I would have added him to my list of people I wish I had met. Just a partial list of his accomplishments and contributions:

- DeBakey trained thousands of surgeons over several generations, achieving legendary status decades before his death. During his career, he estimated he had performed more than 60,000 operations. His patients included the famous — Russian President Boris Yeltsin and movie actress Marlene Dietrich among them — and the uncelebrated.

- His genius helped shape surgery and health care as we know it. While still in medical school, he developed the roller pump for the heart-lung machine. DeBakey invented many of the procedures and devices — more than 50 surgical instruments — used to repair hearts and arteries today.

- During World War II, serving in the office of the U.S. Surgeon General, DeBakey's work led to the development of mobile surgical hospitals, called MASH units.

- DeBakey's mother also taught him one of his future career's essential skills — sewing. He would help her repair items headed for the orphanage. He also learned to tat, using a little bobbin to make lace. Years later, in the 1950s, DeBakey would introduce artificial arteries made from Dacron; he sewed the prototype on his wife's sewing machine using fabric purchased at Houston's downtown Foley's.

The list goes on. It's quite rare to read of an individual who has had such an impact on human health and in this case, his lifelong research, teaching and inventions that have likely lead to many in our society living longer healthy lives and than would have without his dedication.

Dr. Michael DeBakey: 1908-2008

Mike O

Wheels Rollin'
It's quite rare to read of an individual who has had such an impact on human health and in this case, his lifelong research, teaching and inventions that have likely lead to many in our society living longer healthy lives and than would have without his dedication.

Dr. Michael DeBakey: 1908-2008

How truly blessed we have all been by his presence, Mike, in ways both known and unknown... A personal connection? My Mother's father and mother (my grandparents) had their lives extended and quality of life enhanced by surgeries undertaken using the techniques Dr. DeBakey pioneered... For those extra years we had with them, I'll always be eternally grateful... Selfless, he was -- always seeking ways he could improve the human condition... He'll be missed -- but what a legacy he has <>...

~ Bill

Archived