IGNORED

Tell me about your compact binoculars

Albert

It seems there's more compact binoculars on the market than synthetic oil threads on the web. I'm looking for something compact to pack on the bike yet of decent quality. They'd be used in landscape situations and at sporting events and the like. I have a Tasco set that was cheap, but the last time I used them the left and right eyes were aimed in different directions. Anyone have any strong feelings about what's out there?

The only tip I have is a rule-of-thumb. The objective diameter should be at least 3x the magnification, eg 10x30 good, 10x20 not good. This is because the optics project an image smaller than your eye and you loose intensity and clarity.

Andy

I have bent corneas so I am hosed when it comes to binoculars. I have a Zeiss monocular from the early 40's that is awesome, but worth too much to have on the bike. I use a Tasco monocular that works just fine for about 90% of what I need it for. It is also small enough to toss in the tank bag.

I am using a spotting scope more and more for looking for critters and entertaining the hoons

305469833_oxYDD-L.jpg

Dave McReynolds

I always check out Sierra Trading Post when I want something like that, since they always seem to have good deals. I bought the compact Steiner 8X22's they are showing on the referenced page for a present for someone a few years ago, and they seem to have worked out well.

If you want to spend a little more, you might check out these Zeiss 8X20's at Cabelas. Zeiss glass is so good that the clarity would more than make up for the smaller size of the objective lens compared to the Steiner.

I had Nikon Travelite series binoculars that got "lifted" by someone and I really liked the size and quality of them.

I have a pair of Steiner predators that I carry on the bike some because of the rubberized armor. The glass is very good. They are great for football, I announce for a local HS team and my spotter loves them.

I don't know jack about the subject matter, but I picked up this Bushnell Powerview binocular for about $25 a couple of weekends ago. At that price, and with my ignorance, my expectations aren't high, but I'm satisfied. They've helped me keep up with my better half's new interest in birding, and one of my favorite movies is Hitchcock's "Rear Window," so ...

:smirk:

Jerry Johnston
I have a Tasco set that was cheap, but the last time I used them the left and right eyes were aimed in different directions.

Are you sure it was the binoculars at fault? :grin:

The best pair I own (out of 4 dif. types) are Bushnell 2x26 7* that I purchased approx 14 years ago for $130 they're very small and exceptionally clear in low light. I found if they're too strong it's hard to hold them steady and the cheapies seem to have too small of field of vision and dim. You can spend well over $500 for a pair but I've never owned anything that good.

I have a Tasco set that was cheap, but the last time I used them the left and right eyes were aimed in different directions.

Touche' :grin: And no, I'm not sure. :dopeslap:

I've got a small pair of Nikon binoculars that I've used for years. They're durable and have excellent optics. These binoculars are not up to the optical standards of Leupold or Swarovski binocs, but they seem to me to hit the correct balance of cost versus performance.

Jerry Johnston

The best pair I own (out of 4 dif. types) are Bushnell 2x26 7* that I purchased approx 14 years ago for $130 they're very small and exceptionally clear in low light. I found if they're too strong it's hard to hold them steady and the cheapies seem to have too small of field of vision and dim. You can spend well over $500 for a pair but I've never owned anything that good.

Opps, that's 7x26

Archived