IGNORED

National Speed Limit?

tallman

With gasoline prices predicted to reach $6-7 next year, won't our fearless leaders "force" conservation upon us in the guise of a mandated National Speed Limit?

I think it won't be long until that drum begins to beat again.

Do you think it will be proposed?

Do you think it will be enacted?

If enacted, will you comply?

Or, will radar detector sales go through the roof?

Time to invest? :lurk:

Joe Frickin' Friday
With gasoline prices predicted to reach $6-7 next year, won't our fearless leaders "force" conservation upon us in the guise of a mandated National Speed Limit?

I think it won't be long until that drum begins to beat again.

Do you think it will be proposed?

Do you think it will be enacted?

If enacted, will you comply?

Or, will radar detector sales go through the roof?

Time to invest? :lurk:

I've already heard it mentioned in the media, though I'm not sure that counts as its having been proposed.

I doubt it will get enacted, given its unpopularity the first time around. My understanding is that it was not terribly effective the first time, either. While a lowered max speed limit undoubtedly improves highway fuel economy, city fuel economy remains unchanged; one's overall average fuel economy won't be affected very much.

If enacted, I suppose I will have to comply, but I'll be writing some angry letters to my congressional representatives.

And yes, if enacted, radar detector sales will probably go up steeply.

Dave McReynolds

Yes, I think it will be proposed, and probably has a good chance of passing. If so, I'm sure I'll hate it as much as I did the first time around.

I don't remember people worrying much about gas prices when they had the previous 55 mph speed limits in force. I certainly didn't, and I was at the beginning of my career, when I had a lot less to spend than I do now. People were more worried about supply than price, if they worried about gas at all.

People now really do seem worried about price, and everyone is talking about ways to conserve, to save money. We see it on this forum, I read about it in the papers, and I see a change in traffic patterns as a certain number of people are voluntarily cutting back on their speeds, accelerations, and decelerations. And of course, they're buying more efficient cars, and even trying motorscooters, while the SUV's are gathering dust on the lots. So from that standpoint, a return to the 55 mph speed limit might not even be needed or productive. But when has that ever stopped anyone from passing a law?

While a lowered max speed limit undoubtedly improves highway fuel economy, city fuel economy remains unchanged; one's overall average fuel economy won't be affected very much.

That and many other good arguments were made against the idea the first time to no avail. Once politicians were involved (with a fair amount of lobbying from the insurance industry) it was a fait accompli. But hopefully the utter failure of the idea the first time around will nip it in the bud if (when) someone proposes it again. Hopefully.

I've noticed that average road speeds in this area seem to have diminished since $4 gasoline, which would make a lowered national speed limit even less effective. Market forces are always more effective than laws.

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

"I've noticed that average road speeds in this area seem to have diminished since $4 gasoline, which would make a lowered national speed limit even less effective. Market forces are always more effective than laws"

I agree--let market forces dictate. In Europe gas prices are $7-$9/gallon. They leave their speed limits alone, and we should take a lesson from them. Everything I've read indicates that 55mph gives the best "MPG-Time to get there" compromise. Very little increase in MPG occurs at 50mph. However, MPG will drop by 33% from 55-75MPH. I split the difference and set my cruise-control on 65mph.

"If enacted, I suppose I will have to comply, but I'll be writing some angry letters to my congressional representatives."

The national 55mph speed limit has been proposed and it is being pushed by a handful of congressmen from what I understand. If you don't favor it, the time to write nasty letters or emails to you representatives is now, not after it is enacted.

In my opinion the government does not need to regulate this. If you believe 55mph will save you gas, you are free to go 55 if you want. Don't force it on everyone. Cases of Road Rage would probably go up, that is for sure :)

DB

If they want to improve fuel economy, build more roads.

Sitting in gridlock = 0 mpg and it doesn't matter what you're driving.

This topic has already been mentioned in the media and there is a thread going on about it over at www.k-bikes.com. I may be mistaken but I believe the thread mentioned Sen. John Warner of Va. has proposed it.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Everything I've read indicates that 55mph gives the best "MPG-Time to get there" compromise.

That depends on someone else's assessment of the value of my time. If I'm trying to ride from Ann Arbor to Denver on a vacation, it'll take nearly 24 hours in motion at 55 MPH, or just over 17 hours in motion at 75 MPH. Throw in breaks for meals/fuel/rest, and it's the difference between two and three days of my precious vacation time. Assuming $4.50/gallon, if my RT gets 40 MPG at 75MPH, and 48 MPH at 55 MPH, the cost difference is $22. So by slowing down, I'll have saved a whopping $22, but burned a whole extra day of vacation crossing the Great Plains.

Someone wants me to believe a day of my time is worth only $22?

Not only that, but the food and lodging for the extra day will obliterate that $22 savings. And then some.

If you back out all the extra padding in that estimate, the time-versus-savings thing for 55 versus 75 MPH works out to a whopping $3.87 per hour in motion. That's far less than minimum wage.

EDIT II: that should read $3.87 per hour of extra time due to the slower speed, e.g. the AA-Denver trip takes about 7 extra hours, at $3.87 per hour that's ~$27 (there's some rounding going on).

Obviously people with extremely tight budgets will take whatever they can get, but I'm not there yet. I'm sticking with warp speed...

EDIT: and thanks to folks for giving notice that the proposal is already being given official consideration. Indeed, the time to let your elected officials know how you feelabout this issue is now.

I would also hope that when deciding whether to support politically-influenced speed limits law enforcement agencies have a long enough memory to remember what happened the last time around. I'm not sure that there was any other single greater factor in reducing respect for law enforcement during that period than the 55 mph debacle.

motoguy128
Everything I've read indicates that 55mph gives the best "MPG-Time to get there" compromise.

That depends on someone else's assessment of the value of my time. If I'm trying to ride from Ann Arbor to Denver on a vacation, it'll take nearly 24 hours in motion at 55 MPH, or just over 17 hours in motion at 75 MPH. Throw in breaks for meals/fuel/rest, and it's the difference between two and three days of my precious vacation time. Assuming $4.50/gallon, if my RT gets 40 MPG at 75MPH, and 48 MPH at 55 MPH, the cost difference is $22. So by slowing down, I'll have saved a whopping $22, but burned a whole extra day of vacation crossing the Great Plains.

Someone wants me to believe a day of my time is worth only $22?

Not only that, but the food and lodging for the extra day will obliterate that $22 savings. And then some.

If you back out all the extra padding in that estimate, the time-versus-savings thing for 55 versus 75 MPH works out to a whopping $3.87 per hour in motion. That's far less than minimum wage.

Obviously people with extremely tight budgets will take whatever they can get, but I'm not there yet. I'm sticking with warp speed...

I think this post needs to be repeated. It's spot-on... and is exactly why most semi-s have not slowed down dramatically. they are paid by the mile.... and while they might burn more fuel, they still make more money dirivng faster and covering more miles, especially sicne they hours/day for long haul truckers is restricted by law.

I was crunching numbers recently after my latest motorcycle trip and came to the same conclusion. Even on a shorter trip I might take 20 minutes longer ot get to my destination, but in that same case, I only save a few dollars.

If you want national speed limits... make them mandated ONLY for vehicles above a GVWR of 6000lbs where it has the greatest impact... or at least for motorcycles. We already get ripped off at the tolls... now they want to make the trip longer.

I find 70-75 on the interstate is perfect. I often compromise to 72mph to stay within 7mph of the limit... and unless ther eare a lot of cars going 80mph.... which is less frequent these days.

Europe has it right. Save fuel by diving smalle vehicles with smaller motors, not but reducing speed. Give people the freedom ot go faster if desired, so long as it's a safe speed for the conditions. Otherwise, we might as well ration gasoline. Why should I, riding a 45-50mpg motorcycle or driving in a 30+mpg car, be forced to compansate for those that choose to drive 15mpg SUV's. I saw the real estate disaster looming years ago and also knew that gasoline would take off eventually.

Not to mention a 55mph speed limit will slow the delivery of everything that is transported on the highways ... which is pretty much EVERYTHING!

DB

it already takes too long to get out of this state! if by chance we go lower nationally i propose a "pass" or "sticker" of sorts allowing 75mph, for a nominal fee of course. this would only be available to motorcycles and certain fuel efficient cages.

they'd sell out from daytona southward in a heartbeat. :D

ShovelStrokeEd

According to my GPS, my overall average mph drops from around 60 (running 10-12 over) to around 55 when I run at the speed limit (70 mph in the south, 65 or less in the north). That's only 50 miles in a 10 hour day in the saddle or about 1 hour. This takes into account, fuel, food and rest stops. Running average is about 70 on these trips.

I'm in Valley Forge at the moment and I made the mistake of using my GPS for my 19 mile trip into Philadelphia along the Schuykill Expressway one day. Dismal is the word. 22mph moving average, 15.5 mph overall average. This, on a pair of interstate highways, 476 and 76, to be exact. It would have been worse but I managed a couple of bursts to around 70. :(

mph.png

Remember this?

The 55 mph moving roadblock.

I285_55mph.jpg

Compliance issues.

speedenforcmentmap.jpg

Time will tell, but I don’t have a good feeling about this.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Compliance issues.

speedenforcmentmap.jpg

Per capita data might be more informative. North Dakota, with less than 50K tickets issued, has a little over 600,000 people, while California - with over 600K tickets issued - has 36 million people. On a per capita basis, California looks pretty motorist-friendly...

bakerzdosen
Per capita data might be more informative. North Dakota, with less than 50K tickets issued, has a little over 600,000 people, while California - with over 600K tickets issued - has 36 million people. On a per capita basis, California looks pretty motorist-friendly...
Mitch, Mitch, Mitch...

You're obviously forgetting the millions of Montanans traveling to Minnesota and back... :D

(as a side note, North Dakota could be VERY friendly per capita... that 0-50k range is quite a broad range and from this chart we can't tell what the actual data are. It could be 1 or it could be 49k.)

You would actually need the number of vehicles registered along with the number of miles of highway to get a better idea of your probability of getting a ticket.

probably ought to factor in tourism as well.

I'm sure a lot of those tickets in ND are written during a couple weeks in August.

probably ought to factor in tourism as well.

I'm sure a lot of those tickets in ND are written during a couple weeks in August.

And once in a while, a tourist visits Florida. :/

Joe Frickin' Friday
You're obviously forgetting the millions of Montanans traveling to Minnesota and back... :D

No I'm not. Montana doesn't even have one million, let alone many millions.

(as a side note, North Dakota could be VERY friendly per capita... that 0-50k range is quite a broad range and from this chart we can't tell what the actual data are. It could be 1 or it could be 49k.)

Quite right. Similarly, California could be anywhere above 600K. put ND at 25K, and CA at 1.2M, and they would end up being pretty comparable. But of course we don't know that.

This chart is becoming less helpful by the minute... :/

This chart is becoming less helpful by the minute... :/

But, it does show a relationship to tickets and official attitude toward speed.

Example, Virginia, where no radar detectors are legal and troopers are highly visible, awards a lot of tickets.

It would be more helpful if in/out of state breakdown of ticketed drivers was available, but per capita works both ways.

A large/small population state should have more/fewer troopers, right?

Point being, millions of tickets are issued w/speed limits of 65-80 on Interstates and usual trooper roads having 55+ limits.

What will happen if the limit is lowered, again?

Will 85mph speedos be far behind? :eek:

What we all need to do is take a week off and go for a 50 or 60 mile hike on the Appalachian Trail or Pacific Coast Trail. After a week's worth of walking, you will realize that all motorized travel--65 or 55 or 45mph- is teleportation compared to reality. Reality is putting one foot in front of the other, covering one yard at a time, watching every single rock underfoot. 55 miles per hour is just slightly less instantaneous teleportation than 65mph.

mph.png

Remember this?

The 55 mph moving roadblock.

I285_55mph.jpg

Oh, do I ever! New Year's Day, first day of the 55 limit, San Diego Freeway in West LA, I'm rolling Code 2 and all three lanes are blocked by the do-gooders. Completely ignored the light bar. :mad:

Archived