IGNORED

Hacking a Treo 700P's roaming list

KMG_365

Just throwing this out to the collective in case anyone has a clue. Awhile back I "updated" my preferred roaming list on my Treo 700P (Sprint) and now I've lost even more of my roaming ability. Funny thing is Leslie's phone is working fine since she never "upgraded" to the "new" list. I was talking with Russell "ittech" here at the UnRally and he says you can go into the file and hack the PRL to open it up to any site where there ever was a contract (as if you had never "updated" like in Leslie's phone's case), but he only knows how to do it on the Windows version. I did a bit of searching last night, but no joy.

Just thought I'd check here in case anyone has the easy answer as now I'm carrying around a very heavy address book. My PM's are still over-full, but you should be able to email my profile's address if you don't want to post here.

TIA,

You might try calling Sprint's Customer Service (*2) and asking for a PRL update. In theory, they will mark your phone to get the latest PRL update and then all you need to do is power down your phone for a couple minutes (5 to be safe) and then power it back up. (the power down/back up let's the system 'find' you in your new location and see if there is anything new for you)

Or if you don't want to call Customer Support, you can try powering down the phone (like above) and it may still find a new PRL for you.

Another option is to check the sprintusers.com forum - those guys know EVERYTHING about sprint phones. ;-)

Good luck!

Jim

(not feeling too sorry for you since I'm stuck here in Ohio and you're out there at the UN.....)

DavidEBSmith

Somewhere in this thread at SprintUsers there's supposed to be instructions for loading your own PRL into a Palm OS device. The specification for the PRL is Document # 130 here. You can download PRL files here. Good luck with that.

What PRLs do you have on your respective phones? (From the Phone app, Menu - Options - Phone Info - look on the second page).

FWIW...I have 20227, which is the last known "good" from corlada.com for EVDO devices (they list some newer, but with "unknown" release date. I have a 700P on Sprint too.

EB's link only covers the Centro. I think you should be able to run the same process w/ a Treo 700: Call sprint support *2, ask to be "flagged for PRL update". Wait 5+ minutes, dial back on either #2 or *228, and you'll get a message about updating your phone.

Do it from somewhere with good Sprint signal strength.

*2, not #2. And I'm pretty sure *228 doesn't do anything on Sprint.

That's (*228) roaming update w/Alltel, don't know about Sprint.

Thanks, everyone for the helpful information!

"randy" had to go to Burns yesterday (the nearest Sprint coverage I could find on-line) and took my phone with him to update the PRL. He also found out that the *228 doesn't work, but he still went to the local Sprint store and had them update it. They probably only "flagged it for an update" as it still doesn't work here in John Day, and I guess based on what I've been reading here after they "flagged it", I would need to power it down and then back up and call customer support (*2) from an area with Sprint service and let it update the phone over the network, THEN it will work roaming here.

Oh well--I'll try it on the way home when I hit a Sprint service area again. Thanks again for all the info folks!

Somewhere in this thread at SprintUsers there's supposed to be instructions for loading your own PRL into a Palm OS device. The specification for the PRL is Document # 130 here. You can download PRL files here. Good luck with that.

What PRLs do you have on your respective phones? (From the Phone app, Menu - Options - Phone Info - look on the second page).

Ah, thanks. I've now got "20232" (but I don't think it's been updated yet, just flagged) and Leslie's is just a regular Samsung cell phone so I would expect hers to be different, her PRL is "10041" and hers works fine. :-/

Archived