IGNORED

Dancing in a whole lotta places...

bakerzdosen

bakerzdosen

Well, I'm sure some of you have already seen this, but alas, not all of us are up on the viral video of the moment...

So, I'll just say: Watch

And, here's a bit of back story courtesy of the New York Times

I dunno... seems to be sorta like Marty without the bike, but I've never seen Marty dance. :)

Edit: Be sure to watch it in high quality if you can...

Firefight911

There is something infectious about that video. I sat here and, at first, chuckled at the chuckle head. But, as it went on I found myself drawn in to it and, I'm not sure why, found myself welling up a bit.

Oh, to have the ability to go around the world, see the people, the cultures, the lives, etc. of so many wonderful places.

I need to do that. Hey Marty, are you taking applications for your next world adventure? I will gladly pay you back Tuesday, for the price of a hamburger today.

Firefight911

His outtakes are good -

The very last one at the very last second of the video is hilarious with the dubbed in sound.

Maybe it's my age but I found myself thinking to myself, how the hell do I convince my kids to keep their nose to the grindstone and work hard when they're watching some guy spend 14 months visiting 42 countries to do bad dancing??

Yea I found it infectious too, just sayin'.

bakerzdosen
Maybe it's my age but I found myself thinking to myself, how the hell do I convince my kids to keep their nose to the grindstone and work hard when they're watching some guy spend 14 months visiting 42 countries to do bad dancing??
There are different ways to be industrious (aka make money). This guy was able to do that by being creative. He obviously found a sponsor (Stride gum) to help him achieve what he wanted to do. He said in that NYT piece that he wasn't really good at anything but travel...

Now, before you scoff at that, I'll bring up good advice that I got (that I haven't necessarily followed, but that I believe in) from a good friend of mine. He told me that you need to find your passion, and in that passion, there is a way to make money. He used golf as an example. So, if golf is your passion, you don't have to be a golf pro to make money from golf. You could be a sales rep for FootJoy and sell golf shoes. You'd spend lots of time "working" on the golf course. They key here is that if you're the best at what you do, you will make money. You may not end up being the richest person in the world, but you'll lead a comfortable life and will truly enjoy your job (and probably the rest of your life as well.)

If the kid can make money traveling for a living, more power to him. You can't tell me that Samantha Brown, Andrew Zimmern, or Ian Wright (or even Alton Brown) don't have pretty sweet gigs... I've sort of seen this first hand as my former next door neighbor is one of the four finalists in the next Food Network Star competition going on now (I helped her set up her first website). She knew what she wanted and she's going after it.

I'd personally use it as a motivational tool rather than a form of discouragement.

With that said, I'd REALLY like to see the guy's budget from Stride. I personally find it interesting to see if they felt it worth their investment. I mean, the thing has nearly 5 million views on YouTube, so to invest $50k in this guy's travels is probably considered ad money well spent.

Dave McReynolds

I was unaware of the whole "viral video" thing until they had a segment on it on NPR the other day that I listened to as I was driving back from a client's office in Lodi.

The hokey dancing video you linked to is infectious, and I guess that's as good a word as I can think of to describe what would make a video go viral.

The NPR segment featured the "Wii Fit Girl" video as their example of a viral video, so of course I looked it up when I got back to my office. It was a little weird, as is your example, but it was infectious, and I had to watch it again.

In looking for the Wii Fit Girl video, I noticed that there were a number of knock-offs done by professional models who were much better looking than the original Wii Fit Girl, and who even tried to get the same non-plussed look on their faces, but of course they were just knock-offs, and weren't at all "infectious" like the original.

I would think it would be much more difficult to make a viral video if you were trying to do it, like your dancer, than if something just happened spontaneously, like the Wii Fit Girl.

I agree with you for the most part and I'm really not a cynic (hey read most of my posts). I am of the opinion however that for most of us, if you show me someone who's made a job out of their passion, I'll show you someone who used to have both a job and a passion.

Mark Twain wrote a wonderful little essay titled (if memory serves), "Two Views of the River", where he describes his time as a riverboat captain when he was known as Samuel Clemens. He describes his life on the Misssissippi as a boy and the wonderful "life" it represented to him. As a river captain his "view" of the river became almost clinical. Of necessity, he was forced to replace the pure joy of place with a calculating look at each ripple.

Still, if one can make a go of passion and work together I'm all for it. Party on Wayne!! :grin:

bakerzdosen
He told me that you need to find your passion, and in that passion, there is a way to make money.

I agree with you for the most part and I'm really not a cynic (hey read most of my posts).

Uh, attention mods: Someone seems to have broken into Albert's account...
I am of the opinion however that for most of us, if you show me someone who's made a job out of their passion, I'll show you someone who used to have both a job and a passion.

Mark Twain wrote a wonderful little essay titled (if memory serves), "Two Views of the River", where he describes his time as a riverboat captain when he was known as Samuel Clemens. He describes his life on the Misssissippi as a boy and the wonderful "life" it represented to him. As a river captain his "view" of the river became almost clinical. Of necessity, he was forced to replace the pure joy of place with a calculating look at each ripple.

Still, if one can make a go of passion and work together I'm all for it. Party on Wayne!! :grin:

Oh, I didn't say it was easy, it's just possible. :)

Archived