IGNORED

Ohlins on my 12RT today..........

roadshadowww

roadshadowww

Installed special order Ohlins today on the 12RT. Man these puppies are a work of art. Only pooper was that the remote adjuster will not fit into the same spot as the stocker.

Going to try them out as soom as I get my seat back from Russell, bummer now, big smiles later.

Here is a stupid question..... do you know if the Ohlins for the 1200RT are the same as the ones used on the 1150RT?

Seems like the mounting points etc. are very similar between the two bikes.

Installed special order Ohlins today on the 12RT.

Part #? Cost? Are these manual adjust or the Ohlins "ESA" style remote adjusts?

On the question of will 1150RT shocks fit, I'm working that out right now with PPS on a set of 1150RS shocks.. I'll post when I have info.

Craig

Still trying to understand why a three month old bike needs new shocks?? Is it the style of riding or have some just worn them out in a few months?

John Bentall

Let me put you out of your misery - he doesn't need new shocks, he wants to upgrade to the same brand of aftermarket shock that gave him so much satisfaction on his last machine.

I'm curious to know the reason for changing shocks on a new bike. And, if you don't mind, from the person who made the decision to do so. It may be something I want to consider but, your guess from afar is exceedingly presumptious and useless.

I'm curious to know the reason for changing shocks on a new bike. And, if you don't mind, from the person who made the decision to do so. It may be something I want to consider but, your guess from afar is exceedingly presumptious and useless.

The difference between an Ohilns or othwer aftermarket shock is amazing... Suspension components tend to be a place where manufactures cut costs and save a few $$.. I'll be upgrading mine at some point, either with the 1150 shocks I have (if they'll work), or with another set.. The improvement in both ride and handling is noticable, and IMHO, worth the $$'s, if you have them to spend..

That said, I found the stock shocks on my 1150RS were toast at ~15,000 of 2 up riding, and my R1200RT is turning 14,000, and the rear is shagged enough that BMW is replacing it.

Craig

Still trying to understand why a three month old bike needs new shocks?? Is it the style of riding or have some just worn them out in a few months?

Same reason some people immediately put what they deem to be a decent seat on it immediately.

roadshadowww

Thanks John for answering those two questions, you are correct.

Huge difference in ride quality on my 04RT and expect the same on the 12RT.

roadshadowww

Photos to come, price was $1600 installed (I added a 2nd power outlet and power bar plus I had my Piaas wired in to the switched wiring.

The shocks were built specifically for me, weight, riding style and added loading.

Ride review to come but must wait as I sent my seat to Russell to have it re-built.

Will write a review of both when I get it back in a week or so.

roadshadowww

Thanks for the question, but actually John is exactly correct.

I purchased my 12RT without ESA because I am not a hotshoe that needs to vary my suspension.

My other 3 RTs (99, 00 & 02) all had the stock shocks. When I purchased my 04RT I elected to install the Ohlins based on the fact that better spring quality, better rebound effect, greater adjustment range and quality of oil/rod material/seal material make the shocks perform to a higher quality.

In fact it was ture....the quality of ride was light years better than stock.

Example: ....sharp bumps were translated to the frame in a smoother manner.... highway pogoing from those concret slabs was controlled so I was not seasick. The overall quality of ride was more accurate in feel with the roughness of the average road surface removed.

You've just got to believe to make the up-grade.

Photos to come, price was $1600 installed (

Do you have the part # of the shocks installed? Did you get thru the dealer or a third party?

Thnaks,

Craig

roadshadowww

I believe they are numbers:

BM503 and BM 504.... but are custom sprung to my weight and load... along with my preferred riding style.

The tech that did the install said hummmmmm... they are a bit stiff... but he only weights about 150 soaking wet. I'm 230-240.

Call Maurie at 866-984-9844 for pricing and such.

Got them through my Dealer, BMW of Atl at a fair price. They also installed them while my bike was there for some other attention.

Well, I'm still not convinced. Clearly, anyone can tell the difference between old, worn out shocks and new ones. But I doubt if they can tell the difference between different brands of new shocks, including the ones that came with the BMW when new. That is unless they are a race driver and on the track and those guys usually weigh between 140 and 165 lbs.

A friend of mine recently put Ohlins or Wilburs on his GS and when I asked how they were, he exclaimed that they were "great, a big change, compared to the stock shocks" which of course were old. Upon hearing this, his wife put her two cents in and said, "what the hell do you think he'd say, he just spent $1500 on them".

BTW, who built the shocks? Who actually went inside and configured the valving and picked the proper spring strength for your weight and riding style? Was it someone at the dealer? Was it someone at Ohlins factory? Was it "STIG"????

roadshadowww

Tourbike

Don't really believe anyone here is interested in convincing you of anything. Not our job!

Your logic of "he spend $1500 what do you think he's going to say.." doesn't not fly.... especially if you'll read all the posts in this thread.

Example: This is the second NEW RT I've intalled Ohlins on at the 600 mile mark. If I knew it was a waste of money the 1st time, even though I did not want to admitt it, why would I do it AGAIN???

You saying ONLY a race car driver could tell the difference in new vs new shocks of two different MFGs and quality levels on the same bike....what planet are you from?

Could you tell the difference between riding a new BMW RT and a new Honda ST1300 ??? Both new, both motorcycles and both with similar mechanical parts.

On who built the shocks.

They were built at the US Ohlins Distr. by the folks that build hundreds of sets of shocks, for me to my specs, not my dealer and not STIG, what ever the heck that is.

Wow, you remember what your buddies wife says... word for word... but you don't even remember what brand of shock it is...Ohlins or Wilburs... you're talking about???

Roadshadoww

I really don't need you to convince me, I already am. I'm just a curious guy that questions things that don't make sense. Now, if your telling me the Ohlins are like a piece of jewelery, like a Rolex watch for example, then I'll understand. But I don't think you or anyone else could tell the difference between brand new stock shocks and Ohlins or Wilburs for that matter on the same bike. That's especially so on a RT, a touring bike.

I had to respond to your post in the first place because I was curious as to whether or not you had worn out the shocks on your new RT already, i.e. you really piled on the miles and how long this had taken, or was your purchase just a non-sensical purchase. You never reponded to those questions. But, you did become a little defensive.

I'm from the planet that questions BS and your analogy is weak. I'm here to point out exaggeration and untruth so that others don't waste their money and think you have to change brand new shocks on a brand new $18,000 bike.

Next, someone will be chipping the bike and saying, "wow, what a difference" when the difference is within the error of the dynamometer.

Stock shocks are like stock tires for the most part...The tires are rim protectors until you wear them out, then put on the tire that suits your riding style. Stock shocks are just that - stock shocks, Custom shocks are valved and sprung according to your weight, riding style and the type of roads that you normally travel. OEM shocks are a generic shock that is supposed to fit all riders and riding styles along with different weight loads and conditions. How good a job do you really think that they do?

Thought I'd add my 2 bits.

I changed my first GS (2001) to Ohlins after only 4000 miles with the stock ones.

This was my first bike I had ridden in over 25 years.

The difference was dramatic - not subtle in any way. I have never made any change in any vehicle I've ever owned that made such a difference. It was such a positive change that I did the same on my 04 GS & my LT. Even now (I now it's comparing apples to oranges), the Ohlin suspension on my 04 1150 GS is much better than the ESA on my 1200 RT (as good as it is).

I can't directly speak to the RT directly, but it definitely doesn't take an experienced rider or a race track to appreciate a quality suspension.

No doubt it is very expensive & it may not be worth it to many, but unless you've experienced it, you'll never know.

roadshadowww

Tourbike,

Again, no one is interested in convincing you of anything.

Your use of statements like:

Comparing shocks to jewelery..........

Saying I or anyone else can't tell the difference....

especially on a RT ??????

defining a purchase as non-sensical...

I'm sorry you think you're the thread Police and "had to respond". Again if you'd read all the posts in a thread you'd have gotten the answers to your questions before you asked them.

Defensive? I'd say frustrated in your ability to understand the machine you ride.

You're here to point out "untruth and exaggeration", you've got to be kidding.

Example: Your last sentence addresses "chipping" correct... If you had any idea what you were talking about you'd know this bike, the R12RT, can not be chipped. It has a fixed brain and can only be completly re-programed, chipping is not possible.

Please learn a lot more about motorcycles and especially the R12RT before you come here and become "The Thread Police" and correct other people's threads.

Any further discussion from you I'd ask you to address it to my personal e-mail.

Archived