IGNORED

Tell me about ATVs for work

Joel

If the planets align, I may soon have a need for a work-oriented ATV to which I'd attach a winch, snowplow blade, rough-cut mower, box scraper, dump trailer, etc. I don't think the situation warrants a full-on tractor, but I don't want anything too puny. I've just started looking at ATVs and the equipment/accessories, and the choices are nearly overwhelming. So, I am consulting the bmwst.com oracle for actual experience in owning and operating ATVs for these purposes and with these types of accessories.

Maybe I could get my GS made into a trike, throw on a trio of TKC 80s and ...... never mind. :smirk:

Can you point me to a robust, work-oriented ATV with a good array of accessory equipment? Any tips or warnings?

TIA.

My bidness partner has one of these Mules

He has a gas one and uses it for everything you mentioned except the a snow plow. I'm not sure if he's ever tried the box blade on it either??????

Whip

After working at a Dealer that carried Hondas, Yamahas and Polaris. I would go with the Polaris if needed to do all that your are going to due.

Don

DaveTheAffable

I've never heard anyone who didn't like Deere products, but my former boss just bought a Polaris Ranger for his acreage, and loves it.

Polaris-Ranger-6x6.jpg

I have a Kawasaki Brute Force 650 (they also make a 750) and a buddy has a King Quad 700....plenty of power and much more usefuly in my situation than a Rhino/Ranger, never mind the major price difference. I think the newer ones with the electric steering assistance would be worth considering but any of the big utility quads (4x4) should be able to do handle the jobs you want to do...I tow a small trailer and a large tow behind brush mower and it never misses a beat, my buddy has a plow blade and is equally satisfied with it.

Personally I didn't consider the Polaris versions as they were way heavier than the others...

motoguy128

Our Factory had Kawasaki Mules for a couple years. You get what you pay for. Complete POS! Hard to start in the cold. the clutchless transmission is just that... you basically are shifting without a clutch... just slam that puppy into gear.."CRUNCH!"

We recently puchased a fleet of Kabota RTV1100?. They're like hte mule, but have a completely enclosed cab, A/C, Heat, hydrostatic 4wd transmission (hydralic), and effecient diesel engine. Plus you can add other hydralic implements like plows, tilt bed, winches, etc. The bed is large enough for a full 40x48 pallet. I ran for almost 4 hours straight using the A/C and only used 2 gallons of fuel.

Thye aren't cheap, but the Mules are jumk from our experience. Within 4 years since we bought them, about 1/3 were constantly down for repair.

Another altrernative are minitrucks. Honda and Suzuki make them.

Another altrernative are minitrucks. Honda and Suzuki make them.

minitrucks rule......thats what our maintenance crew use at work. I don't think they would do too well at plowing though.

When I used to coach for one of our local high schools, we had one of the John Deere Gators to run around in. We beat the crap out of it on a daily basis and never had a lick of trouble with it. I think we used the same one for at least 10 years. They might still be using it.

When I used to coach for one of our local high schools, we had one of the John Deere Gators to run around in. We beat the crap out of it on a daily basis and never had a lick of trouble with it. I think we used the same one for at least 10 years. They might still be using it.

A Gator is the current leader in the clubhouse, but we're still looking and pondering. Positives for the Gator: Purpose-built, good dealer support, a good dealer nearby, & lots of equipment available.

Thanks to all for the replies so far. Keep 'em coming.

Archived