IGNORED

ESA help please

flobti

A few weeks ago I posted about concern that my ESA was not functioning. Although the display shows the changes, I could feel no changes (either in pre-load or riding mode). I have since had the 600 mile check & my dealer says it's working fine - they said it's just very subtle.

I now have about 1200 miles & I can still feel no effects. I am very puzzled as everyone just seems to rave about the ESA & I'm not experiencing anything. I've tried the same roads over & over on different modes (Sport - Normal - Comfort) - they all feel the same.

Just now, I thought I'd test the pre-load (I normally ride solo). I weight about 175 & had a passenger get on (about 190) & I had the bike in front of my garage so I could see the headlights on the wall. I went through the various changes - neither of us could feel (or hear) anything - nor did the light change on the wall. It seems to me if the pre -load changed, the rear should lift somewhat to adjust for the added weight - NO CHANGES.

Since my dealer assures me the bike is OK & it's just me, I'm at a loss. Before I call them back, I sure would appreciate any thoughts of those with ESA. It is that subtle? Is it just me? Isn't there some objective test that can be done?? For some backround, I put Ohlins on my 1150 GS & the difference was night & day (best upgrade ever) - also on an LT. I also put coilovers on a Miata, which was also night & day - plus I can easily feel the changes when I adjust it.

What to do???

Thanks! confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

John Bentall

The rear on my bike definitely lifts when selecting the two-person setting.

I have not ridden over the same road on different damper settings yet. I am not sure that I ride hard enough to notice the difference.

My son remarked on the improved ride comfort over the old 1100RT.

I have the same problem, bike three days old and only done 300 miles due to work commitments. I can feel absolutely no difference using any of the settings and the bike neither rises or falls when adjusting at a standstill, the display tells me the ESA has changed mode but no difference can be felt. I will try to call my dealer on Monday.

tickle_my_tummy

John - I think if the bike doesn't rise when you make the adjustments at a standstill then the ESA isn't working. It should definitely rise and fall from solo to pillion with luggage etc. In fact it's quite a whoohoo feeling grin.gif A definite case for contacting the dealer and not being palmed off.

John Bentall
John - I think if the bike doesn't rise when you make the adjustments at a standstill then the ESA isn't working. It should definitely rise and fall from solo to pillion with luggage etc. In fact it's quite a whoohoo feeling grin.gif A definite case for contacting the dealer and not being palmed off.

Well Paul, can you tell the various damper settings apart by riding the same road using different modes?

tickle_my_tummy

Well I don't want to appear be smug about this John but yes I can, although they're not earth shattering changes. I think when riding solo the changes are less noticeable, but there are more distinct changes from solo to pillion with luggage. Also, the h'light apparently stays the same level if the right setting is made for the ESA when carrying a load or pillion, hence no need for the adjustment of the 1150.

I'm sure it's all a bit subjective and I've done 3,000 miles in the month I've had the bike so I have had lots of opportunties to try things out, but my comment to the other John was that when the bike is stationery, and the ESA setting is changed from solo to pillion with luggage, the bike very definitely rises at the back ready to cope with the load. If it isn't doing this then he has a problem compared to the ESA on my bike and I believe he has a case to press the dealer hard on this; has it been tested properly etc.

With the comments being made about it I wonder if some bikes have an electrical connection that's not connected but I'm a complete dopey when it comes to mechanics and all that.

smile.gif

Ok, I just got back from the dealer & believe my problems (questions) are solved.

As far as the pre- load settings, apparently I was too impatient to wait for the changes. dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif At the dealer, we took the seat off to see if we could see changes & while the seat was off, he said he could see the change - while he was saying that I noticed that the symbols were blinkinng on & off - it takes (at least on my bike) several seconds after you make the change for the adjustment to be make (that's when it starts blinking). So I wasn't wating long enough for any adjustments. dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif And yes the change is very easy to feel.

As far as the mode changes, I test rode a K1200R (WOW, but that's a whole other thread) & decided that the changes are just very subltle. The suspension is good enough, that major changes just aren't necessary. I also suspect, as pointed out elsewhere, that the changes would be much more noticeable if the bike was more heavily loaded.

Now that I have that solved, on the way there, I got 3 ABS failure flashes - I had to leave the bike there frown.giffrown.gif

John,

I have the ESA and it appears to work. Try setting it to one up (just the one helmet symbol). Sit on the bike with both feet on the ground. Change it to two-up with luggage (two helmet symbols). When the symbols are flashing is when it is actually adjusting. It should take about 10 or 15 seconds to adjust. During that time you should feel your legs slowly (very slowly) stretching as the rear of the bike raises. I don't know if using the headlight would work. I can definitely feel mine going up and down. If yours doesn't move then something is wrong. I have had people stand to the side of the bike and they can see my legs moving as the bike raises. Hope this helps.

dopeslap.gif Many thanks for the postings explaining how to use the ESA, I guess I am just a muppet who can't read instructions. The ESA is now working perfectly on my bike

Read and follow the section of the manual that tells how to set up the pre-load and damping on the rear. It comes set up for an 85 kg load. My standard load is a couple of turns cw higher. This makes a huge difference in how the ESA functions. I think you must set a baseline and then the ESA adjusts up from there. Gotta get the baseline right first. Honesty in setting is probably best in this case clap.gif

Are you saying that there is a manual pre load and damping adjustments on the bikes with ESA suspension?

I use the ESA all the time ... it makes a huge difference to the ride and handling (particularly the damping) but I assumed that there was no other manual adjustments ?

My riders manual only talks about manual suspension and has no details or instructions for ESA ...

• 2 weeks later...

"Are you saying that there is a manual pre load and damping adjustments on the bikes with ESA suspension?

"

Same here. Is the US ESA different?

Paul

All of the ESA bikes are the same. There is a rear pre-load adjustment under the drivers seat and a damping adjustment on the rear shock which must be adjusted if the pre-load is adjusted. My manual describes the procedure well and I will look up the pages and could scan them and e-mail them if you want. Will get back to you when I get home. thumbsup.gif

The section I am referring to is on pages 56,57 under spring adjustments. Made a substantial difference in how mine handled. thumbsup.gif

The section I am referring to is on pages 56,57 under spring adjustments. Made a substantial difference in how mine handled. thumbsup.gif

Those pages in my manual are only for the manual (non-ESA) adjustments. On the face of it, my bike has neither preload or damping adjustments other than via ESA.

I had assumed (hoped?) that there would be an ability to change the base settings from which the ESA would operate but this doesn't appear to be the case.

Paul

Paul,

Sorry about that but the salesman showed me exactly what the service man was doing to my bike after my pre-delivery test ride. I assumed that was what they had done dopeslap.gif

Archived