IGNORED

Photo Tech Daze at the Casa de Couch

Couchrocket

Couchrocket

My Uber-worthy-friend arrived yesterday, gifts in hand, and loaded to the gills with computers, cameras, and most important -- image files!

We spent the afternoon discussing the relative merits of various image processing software, talking about style, photographic instincts, and how to get a mental picture into a camera and then out of a printer looking like our "vision" of the scene before us. I don't have to tell you peoples who frequent this place that Tommy has great instincts for photography, and his passion about it has accelerated his learning and experience curve so quickly that a lot of us are jealous.....

Well, in person, it quickly became apparent to me that he's on the road to real artistry, and that those "apparent" good instincts really are fabulous and natural, and almost unconscious in his way of seeing. You can't teach someone to see... teaching them not to let the equipment get in the way is easy!

So... up early this morning.... infused with our drug of choice....

325303653_XDxaY-M.jpg

Two-shocks begins the process of selecting, editing....

325303851_CzTFv-M.jpg

Decisions, decisions....

325303834_JRmY4-M.jpg

Meanwhile... from the bowels of the giant machine... LARGE prints begin to emerge....

325303679_7MVrX-M.jpg

When I told him that only "perfect" prints get to leave "Studio-de-Couch" facilities, he seemed a bit perplexed... especially when I made him rip the offending "non-perfect" print to shreads... but just look at the one in his right hand!

325340549_3GiFx-M.jpg

Someone looks happy with his work!

325303660_oHXFD-M.jpg

The kid is a natural...

Now we readily admit that none of this is as much fun as, say, a 12k service on a K1200GT... but we'll just have to suffer. :/

I may need some Scotch Tape!!!

This is so beyond glorious that the only thing I have to complain about is Whip calling asking silly questions about catalogs!

Scott and Patricia are the greatest! Killer you could take a lesson here before Heidi arrives!

Having a ball!

Tom

Couchrocket

Tom is on his way home...

Our last print of the day, and a fitting "parting shot," is this glorious panorama. This photo proves the maxim that good photos are often, "F/8 and be there!"

325554061_J8v5c-XL.jpg

Tom, thanks for spending time with us, sharing your photography and life with us....

Couch and Patricia

Tom is on his way home...

Our last print of the day, and a fitting "parting shot," is this glorious panorama. This photo proves the maxim that good photos are often, "F/8 and be there!"

325554061_J8v5c-XL.jpg

Tom, thanks for spending time with us, sharing your photography and life with us....

Couch and Patricia

Wow...this one is stunning. It looks like something Thomas Mangelsen shot.

Cheers!

Todd

Wow Scott! I'm comin' to your house to print stuff :)

I spent a couple of days with Marc Muench (www.muenchphotography.com) talking about printing. Lots to consider. Up to and including the printer itself and the coating for each of the papers you might want to use.

Cool stuff. What printer are you using?

Couchrocket
Wow Scott! I'm comin' to your house to print stuff :)

I spent a couple of days with Marc Muench (www.muenchphotography.com) talking about printing. Lots to consider. Up to and including the printer itself and the coating for each of the papers you might want to use.

Cool stuff. What printer are you using?

Ian,

Thanks! You'd be welcome any time.

You're right... there isn't "one paper / printer / surface / ink-set / that "fits all." Lots of both practical and aesthetic considerations to be made depending on the subject, mood of the print desired, place that it will be displayed, etc.. But it sure is fun these days now that pigment ink ink-sets are available that have good color gamut, and true archival qualities. We used primarily Adobe Lightroom for post processing and CS3 for the odd "round trip" for pixel level editing. I continue to be amazed at Lightroom. It's simple user interface is deceptive. Tom took to an almost instant, intuitive, and "appropriate" work flow w/ LR.

We were using an Epson 2200 and an Epson 4880 this weekend. And the papers ranged from one of the new baryta papers (Ilford), to Brilliant Museum Satin White Matte, Epson Exhibition Fiber, to Epson Premium presentation matte, to Epson Ultrasmooth Fine Art, to Epson Watercolor. Again, depending on the subject. We also used both the photo-black, and matte-black ink-sets depending on the paper used. Also use either the ICC profiles that come with the Epson printers, or the various downloadable ICC profiles published by the paper makers.

We had a lot of fun, and both of us learned stuff... :thumbsup:

I learned that I want to learn how to take pictures of storms. I chose to drive home during the evening last night. Got a great fireworks show in Quartzite AZ and then just west of Phoenix the sky lit up with Mother Nature's version!

326106391_tyKF9-L.jpg

And that it sure is fun to have friends like Scott!

Couchrocket

Keep making photos like that and I'll refuse to let you in the front door. You're a rat-bag!

BEAUTIFUL......

S.

Firefight911
You could always do something radical....like come shoot some with me!

And it is now a gun thread!

GREAT stuff there you two!!! Bravo on some wonderful learning that we all get the benefit of experiencing. WOW!!!!!!!!

LR is great. Been using it for the basic stuff and CS3 for other things. It's been great. How you process the photo for each different paper/ink combo matters a lot. More than I had realized before.

Truely awesome pictures that are more art than mere photographs. Thanks for sharing!

Tom, you certainly have the touch.

Thanks Greg!

There is a lot to be said for Scott beating into my head "F8 and Be There!" mantra. I find myself now always carrying at least the little Nikon. And like anything, you have to practice practice, and then practice. Also, with Larry, Killer, Dennis, Scott and a few others in here, there is a small degree competition in a positive way to make sure you always have your A game.

For those thinking of going to Scott's, be warned. He has some other cool toys. I really want that Leica point and shoot he showed me. Oh and the drink girl there makes a mean Lemon Bourbon. Makes me wish I had picked a cheap Hobby like Formula One Racing.

Thanks Greg!

There is a lot to be said for Scott beating into my head "F8 and Be There!" mantra. I find myself now always carrying at least the little Nikon. And like anything, you have to practice practice, and then practice. Also, with Larry, Killer, Dennis, Scott and a few others in here, there is a small degree competition in a positive way to make sure you always have your A game.

For those thinking of going to Scott's, be warned. He has some other cool toys. I really want that Leica point and shoot he showed me. Oh and the drink girl there makes a mean Lemon Bourbon. Makes me wish I had picked a cheap Hobby like Formula One Racing.

Not to mention that sweet Road Glide...

Whip

Archived