IGNORED

Lets Spot the Aussie

Uggles

OK, It's coming down to the wire and there's a lot at stake.

Below is my projected route.

07/03 - Mammoth Lakes - North on US 395 and then entry into Yosemite via 120. Thru Yosemite and staying at Sonora overnight via 108.

07/03 - Sonora to Winnemucca via 108 and 80 (I think)

2 days/nights Winnemucca

07/06 - Winnemucca to John Day via 95, 78, Steens and 395

Driving a red Toyota Solara, CA plates

First one saying geday gets my one and only 2006 Aussie BMW Tourensport Safari T shirt (XXL). Only worn twice and not on this jaunt yet so trust me it's pristine from the Aussie isle.

The only clue is "Mostly Best Western"

Cut off time is 6PM 07/06 otherwise I'll donate it to a raffle to a worthy cause designated by Steve (Dances_With_ Wiener_Dogs) ( He doesn't know it yet but I hope he will understand) or one of his designated officials.

So who's it gunna be?????

Cheers,

Don't forget to stop at the "Iron Door Saloon" in Groveland on your way towards Sonora, for a refresher.

I'll be about 30 miles from ya Thursday night.

Ring me up if'n ya want ta have a bite Fri morn. on your way outta Dodge.

MB>

2 days/nights Winnemucca
OK, I give up... what Aussie travel agent convinced you to stay two nights in Winnemucca? I'd love to hear your pronunciation of that place with NSW accent! Hey, I do know enough not to say: "Mel-Borne" or "Briz-Bane"! I'm riding to Reno Sat 5th and will be heading north from there on some of those same roads, so I'll be looking for the guy in a red sport-ute driving kinda funny on our right side of the road! See you soon - and XXL is a bit large for me anyway!

Jeff

MB

I think I know where I'm going but I still hope to see someone on the way.

EFJ,

The SO wanted to chill out for a few days on the trip up. Maybe I should have shunted everything up and stayed here at Mammoth Lakes a few days. It's very nice. I look forward to your pronunciations of "didgereedoo" and "didgabringyagrogalong". You can always shrink the T in hot water for a better fit.

Cheers,

Suggested route to Winnemucca:

E on SR108 to US395

N on US395 to SR208

E on SR208 to SR339

N on SR339 to US95Alt

N on US95Alt to I80

E on I80 to Winnemucca.

But I have to agree... 2 nights in Winnemucca????????

Also, recommend route to John Day from Winnemucca:

N US95 to SR140

W SR140 to US395 to Hwy201 (Denio)

N HWY201/HWY202/HWY205 to SR78W on SR78 to US395

N on US395 to John Day.

Looking forward to seeing you!

But I have to agree... 2 nights in Winnemucca????????

If our friend here doesn't adjust his plans sooner, I predict an early arrival in John Day.

Speaking of "spotting", be watching the skies near Bend, OR for a flying lawn chair. Yes, it's true... Do Aussies do this kind of crazy stuff?

A newspaper article is in the Bend Bulletin today, but it appears you must be a subscriber to view the story.

So read about it here instead: Lawn chair ballon craft Hey, if pigs can fly - why not lawn chairs too? :/

Jeff

Suggested route to Winnemucca:

E on SR108 to US395

N on US395 to SR208

E on SR208 to SR339

N on SR339 to US95Alt

N on US95Alt to I80

E on I80 to Winnemucca.

Well that was interesting. Skipped out on SR208 as the GPS pointed to what looked like a dirt track and I didn't want to take the rental on it. The road up and down the pass was a blast, very picturesque. Pity I was in a cage. Stopped for a top burger in Walker and continued on. Met up with a group of 3 BMWs but they didn't know who "we" were so the prize went asking.

So what's wrong with Winnemucca???? Very friendly place so far and the waitress at the Red Lion Inn was very friendly and informative. Bear in mind that this is all new to us so anything different is new and "filled with wonder" !?!?

Chill out session 2morrow and looking forward to it.

Cheers,

No dirt anywhere on the route suggested. Oh well....

If you missed the 208 turnoff, then you probably passed by within a mile or so of where I live in the Carson Valley.

Glad you enjoyed the canyons!

Enjoy Winnemucca!

Well we've been and gone.. :cry:

It was really a great buzz to chat for a time face to face with the people I was able to track down (or they tracked me down) while there and a really big bummer that it was so short. Many thanks to all that made me feel at home regardless of where I was actually at.

This country is as varied as it it large. The driving we did reopened my eyes to the scenery enjoyed when I was a little tack and reconfirmed that I would really like to come back for a longer time on half the amount of wheels. Anybody feels like experiencing the scenery over this side of the other pond only needs to say so.

Enjoy the rides and I'll see you back out in the ether soon.

Cheers,

Archived