IGNORED

Downloading Digital Camera Pictures

Albert

Is there a way to dump the images from a digital camera into a memory stick? I'm thinking that, on a trip, it would be real handy to save images to a flash card if you filled the camera memory. Yes, no?

DaveTheAffable

Simple answer... no. (If you mean like loading to an external card or thumbdrive)

Memory is SO inexpensive. I saw 2Gb cards a few days ago for under $20.

Why not just buy another memory card?

Also... this is way cool. Wireless upload IN the memory card

It will offload your pictures out of your camera anytime you are near a 'hotspot'. Civic center, Starbucks, etc...

The additional card's probably the best option Dave. I didn't realize they were that cheap now. It just seemed like the proliferation of the little stick deals that you can put on a keychain would make the whole thing really handy. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Are you just looking for more space, or to backup your photos? (some like to backup the contents of photo memory cards on trips in order too have more than one copy, in case of later file corruption on the flash card, etc.)

If you only need more space then more memory cards are the simplest way to go. If you want backups then you can get any of the backup devices that connect to your camera or accept a memory card and write the contents of the card to an internal hard drive. Also, an iPod can do this with an external dongle and some Creative players can do it natively. That method gives you both backups and practically unlimited capacity, but maybe that's more than you're looking for...

I bought a second card for my camera, now I can take 2200 pictures without having to download. Memory is cheap as stated above.

Generally, Mark carries enough memory cards that he does not have to delete the photos off of them until we get home. With the prices of media, it makes a lot of sense to do that.

However, he also has the iPod camera adapter and backs up his images to one of our iPods while we are on trips. It isn't fast, and both should have a full charge before you start, but it does work. We only use ours as a backup measure while on trips, but it would work if you needed to erase a memory card. Of course, it is only worthwhile if you already have an iPod and don't keep it stuffed to the brim with music/movies/whatever else people put on them.

I travel with my PowerBook as well as two 2GB memory cards that also convert to a thumbdrive--one in my camera and one in my Treo . I can back up the photos to either the internal memory on the Treo or just slide the cover off the card (making it a thumb drive) and pop it into the Mac and move/back-up the whole lot to the hard drive. As mentioned, they're so cheap now.

It might be cheaper and less hassle just to have a spare card for the camera.

Thats what I do. But, I use smaller cards to keep from loosing everything if one gets corrupted.

Thats what I do. But, I use smaller cards to keep from loosing everything if one gets corrupted.
When the pictures get loose where do they go? :grin:

:grin:

I love ya Killer......

I got a 2gig chip to stick in my cheapy digital. it will take 1200 images. If you need more get a second chip. It was only 15 bucks. :thumbsup:

Thanks all. I wanted the extra space in case I happen to fill the camera while on a trip. I think my camera holds 400 pictures so there's probably not much likelihood I'll actually fill it while travling. After all, I graduated from the Marty Hill School of Travel Photography where our motto is "a word is worth a thousand pictures". :)

Go MHSTP

To the Mondays Suck thread, of course!

:grin:

Archived