IGNORED

APRS via ham Radio for UnRally

Heck

Any of you hoons //// Ham Operators gonna be running APRS during the UN? For those who are not able to make it, you can track some of us as we explore the roads around John Day via the www.findu.com website....or just click the link .

Chime in if you will be on the air...

Heck ............. K6JMH-10 ............. Link for Internet Tracking.......How easy is that?

Automatic Packet Reporting System

When used in combination with a GPS can be used to provide position reports. The data is transmitted over HAM radio frequencies with some receiving systems linked to the Internet.

Very useful for special event communications.

Somewhat useful for tracking a traveler. Where coverage is available, it's great. Unfortunately, there are areas where there is no coverage, especially true when using a 5 Watt low power handheld.

One must have a HAM radio license to transmit.

Between APRS and tracking my gas station credit card charges, my wife has little difficulty locating me when I'm on a trip alone.

Linky!

Firefight911

Another excellent option is that of SPOT Messenger

Additionally, it is a great 911 caller! A member of my Dual Sport Ride Club went down this last weekend and they used it as cell service was non-existent. Helo was dispatched along with SAR teams. Spot even called family members to keep them appraised of what they knew.

They got him out with a concussion, 9 broken ribs, and a punctured lung.

Just a thought!

Archived