IGNORED

R90/6 (1974) Vetter Fairing Installation

pokorskij

I am putting a Vetter Fairing on my 1974 R90.6. Two questions, first how do the turn signal stalks come off? Second, does removing the steering damper?

For the front turn signals, I have removed the head section, but the remaining stalk rub on both sides. It appears to remove the stalk, the front forks would have to be taken apart. Is this correct? Is an alternative to cut the stalks down? This is not really acceptable to me, as I would like to have the option to remove fairing and return to stock setup.

The steering damper doesn't seem to be an option as the fairing bracket prevents re-installation of the damper.

Any advice or comments are appreciated. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Missouri Bob

I wonder if your bracket is correct for 1974. I had a 1974 R60/6 with a Windjammer. It was compatible with the damper.

Regarding the signals, I am certain that I did not cut the stalks. I frequently pulled the fairing, reconnected the headlamp, and rode w/o front signals. The BMW flasher was "smart enough" to not change the flash rate when the fronts were disconnected. I eventually sold the Windjammer, and reinstalled the signals. The forks did not come off for that.

Bob

A lot of floks gentley bent the stalk, the flat piece that held the turn light pod, up out of the way. If you want to remove it there is some disassembly required. I had the Luftmiester on my 80/7, same essential fairing your are playing with.

I had an Avon on my R90/6 1974 and had to remove the steering damper. It didn't seem to make any difference in the steering or handling.

No need to bend the stalk. With a rubber mallet, you can bump them from the rear side till they are facing forward. Note that the first few strikes will have to be fairly firm, as there is a locating pin that will be sheared off. Once it's gone, they'll move easier. Also note, that locating pin isn't really necessary to hold the stalk in place when you go back to stock. They'll stay put just fine, & the finish on the aluminum isn't wrinkled from bending.

Archived