IGNORED

Tips for visiting the Grand Canyon

tonyla

I would like to take a trip from CT to see the Grand Canyon. Any Idea?

Where to fly into?

Where to stay?

Thanks

Tony

You can fly into SLC, Las Vegas or Phoenix for major airports. You can also look at St George UT or Flagstaff AZ if you feel the need to get closer. Choice of airport should depend on season and where in GC you are going.

The canyon has two distinct units. The South Rim (SR) and the North Rim (NR).

The SR is much more developed and sees most of the traffic. There are architectural and historic interests there, nice hotels, good restaurants, shops, etc. Additionally near the SR are several other items of interest such as Wupatki and Sunset Crater NMs. Flagstaff is a great town, and just down from Flagstaff is Oak Creek Canyon and Sedona/Jerome. Also several other NMs within an hour or two of Flagstaff.

The NR sits 1000' feet higher and is quite remote. Not so much there (although I haven't been in over 10 years, I think this is still true), but you should consider doing the three park tour if you go to the NR. That would be Bryce, Zion and GC.

I think for both rims you really need to stay in park lodging or camp. I've always camped so can not comment on lodging options. You can stay in Flagstaff on the approach to the SR. I think there might be rooms along the road in to SR from Flagstaff now, not sure.

There is some lodging outside the park on the north at Kanab, Fredonia and Jacob Lake. Plenty in Kanab, decent little town. Not too sure about the other two spots, but some at least.

Dave McReynolds

As far as hiking down into the canyon goes, there are two main trails, and many other trails. We hiked down the Kaibab trail and hiked back out the Bright Angel trail. There is a lodge at the bottom on the Colorado River, the Phantom Ranch. You can probably get a reservation for the campground at the Phantom Ranch, but unlikely to get a reservation to sleep inside the Lodge. Show up the night before, though, and go on the waiting list for a cancellation, if you're interested. Make sure to find out exactly when they start the standby list, and try to be the first one on the list, if you can. It's well worth it. If you're lucky, even if you don't get a reservation to sleep in the lodge, you might get a dinner reservation. Frankly, it's nicer to sleep outside down there than it is to sleep in the lodge, but it's even nicer not to have to haul down your tent and sleeping bag, so take your pick.

It's a never to be forgotten experience to hike down through all the geological time periods. The canyon looks big from the top, but you can never really imagine how big it really is until you hike it.

If you bring anything with you on your trip make sure it's a camel Bak with as much water as you can carry.

It ought to be about 108 degrees at the bottom of that big hole.

Better yet go in October.

Joe Frickin' Friday
The NR sits 1000' feet higher and is quite remote. Not so much there (although I haven't been in over 10 years, I think this is still true), but you should consider doing the three park tour if you go to the NR. That would be Bryce, Zion and GC.

In '05 my wife and I flew into Vegas and got married there; our honeymoon (at least part of it) was the three park tour you just mentioned: two nights at the south rim of GC, one night at Bryce, and then a pass through Zion. Did a few short hikes at GC, took in a sunset, did a couple of short hikes in Bryce, and another nice hike in Zion before heading back to Vegas. 270 miles from Vegas to GC, and you can check out Hoover Dam along the way.

The south rim of GC has shuttle buses running along the rim; you can park in one spot, hike a couple of miles along the rim, and catch a bus back to your car. The shuttle bus can take you to the best points for viewing a sunset; just make sure you line up early enough, since the buses can get pretty packed.

If you can't get into the hotels at the south rim inside the park, there is a whole cluster of hotels (and restaurants) just outside the park boundary there. Check Expedia or something similar to see what's there.

Like GC, Bryce has some nice rim hikes (but no shuttle bus I'm aware of). At the south end of Bryce there is a nice loop hike of about a mile and a half. If you're up for something longer and more strenuous, there are trails that take you down into the canyon. There is (are?) hotel(s) and restaurants at Rubys Inn at the north end of the park.

Dennis Andress

Time it to be there for a full moon and then get up at 2:00 am to go look at the canyon. It's like seeing it for the first time all over again.

Dennis

Archived