IGNORED

GPS tracks are now posted at UnRally.com

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Hello fellow travelers. A few of the GPS tracks have been posted at UnRally.com. Check that link, more files will be put there when they are ready.

I will also be bringing my laptop with me for file downloads in John Day. You should bring whatever specialty cable that mates with your GPS unit, into a USB port.

Soon we'll all be in John Day. Lots of little details to complete before then...your job is to get there safely and ready for adventure. :)

Can't download, I get "The file cannot be read because it uses a subsequent file version. This program can read MPS files as well as GBD files version 2 and below"

O.K. what the heck does that mean? I am using NT v8 which the tracks were created on. I'm really starting to hate technology, I'm not able to adapt well.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

I copied maps and will give everybody one at check-in. Although I have a 2610, I've never used it, so I get the same message. I know that I'm running v6.5.

If there are any GPS experts out there I hope they chime in!

Firefight911
Check back from time to time, there will be more.

More will be up tomorrow and Tuesday. See, I can actually help out a wee bit even though I am one legged!!!!! :clap::clap:

Thanks Steve!!!!!!!! Can't wait to see all the pics from the ride that wasn't AGAIN!!!! :dopeslap::dopeslap:

Using a few of those Garmin routes to create custom routes for my own purpose "Coming and Going" created mucho frustration until I figured out the issue...

At first, I was unable to route my preferred roads - in fact, Garmin kept sending me off on FS roads. Hey, I don't do dirt unless I'm in my 4x4 Jeep! I finally figured out that a preference default was enabled which assumed winter road closures! I fixed that and was successful creating several custom routes by:

Preferences --> Routing --> (uncheck) Seasonal Road Closures.

I'm still learning all this Garmin GPS mapping stuff! Maybe somebody else will benefit from what I learned. :)

Jeff

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Thanks Jeff. Did you select this on your GPS unit, or on your computer?

Steve,

By downloading and saving the UnRally routes to my computer, I created (with stated routing preference override in place) several custom routes. I'm finishing another now, riding south from SW Oregon to Fort Bragg via Ferndale and the Humboldt Redwoods (I recall a local eatery from a long ago tour on my '89 FJ1200 in Ferndale I'd like to revisit!).

I don't see how anybody can do this with clarity in their GPS unit. I zoom way in to select the route, waypoints, reorder to suit, etc. My objective is to achieve scenic routes that are practical within time limits and my personal stamina. Once finished, I'll upload any or all to the Zumo for my trip.

Jeff

Draftermike

Uh.... that should be enough routes to keep us busy for a few days. The GPS routes now contain over 5,000 miles of riding!

No way we can ever thank you guys enough for all the work you're putting in. You're going above and beyond big time!

Thanks (damn, that "thanks" seems so inadequate)

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

4 dirt routes added just now. The caveat with the dirt routes (all of them really) is that none of these have been pre-run, by following the waypoints. The road stuff is easy enough to figure out, but the dirt stuff is questionable. My GPS guru mentioned that Mapsource is fairly crappy concerning off pavement stuff and he has been triangulating with some paper maps I gave him.

This is gonna be fun!

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
Can't download, I get "The file cannot be read because it uses a subsequent file version. This program can read MPS files as well as GBD files version 2 and below"

O.K. what the heck does that mean? I am using NT v8 which the tracks were created on. I'm really starting to hate technology, I'm not able to adapt well.

Okay, I just uploaded a new Mapsource v6.13.7 which is different than the City Navigator part...I think. Anyway, you might try that and see if it works for you like it worked for me.

Garmin unit updates

Update your Mapsource HERE.

Okay, I just uploaded a new Mapsource v6.13.7 which is different than the City Navigator part...I think. Anyway, you might try that and see if it works for you like it worked for me.

Garmin unit updates

Update your Mapsource HERE.

Nope, get the same message.

I'm using MapSource Version 6.12.4 and had no issues downloading, viewing or editing Steve's furnished GPS routes.

I just did a "save as" to create another route and noticed my "save as type" default reads: "Garmin GPS Database Version 3" (*.gdb).

Using the drop-down toggle, "Garmin GPS Database Version 2 (*.gdb)" is a selectable option.

I doubt the problem is software version because Garmin says:

Updates & Downloads

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MapSource software version 6.13.7 as of February 27, 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Download MapSource United States TOPO Basemap Patch

Please note:

This patch is only applicable for all versions of the MapSource United States TOPO product. It will not affect any other MapSource product.

Change:

Removed fragment of map template from northern Minnesota area so that MapSource would not report an error when viewing data in this area.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
I'm using MapSource Version 6.12.4 and had no issues downloading, viewing or editing Steve's furnished GPS routes.

I just did a "save as" to create another route and noticed my "save as type" default reads: "Garmin GPS Database Version 3" (*.gdb).

Using the drop-down toggle, "Garmin GPS Database Version 2 (*.gdb)" is a selectable option.

I doubt the problem is software version because Garmin says:

Updates & Downloads

MapSource software version 6.13.7 as of February 27, 2008

Download MapSource United States TOPO Basemap Patch

Please note:

This patch is only applicable for all versions of the MapSource United States TOPO product. It will not affect any other MapSource product.

Change:

Removed fragment of map template from northern Minnesota area so that MapSource would not report an error when viewing data in this area.

Thought I'd make that easier to read. Actually what you read EffJay was not technically correct. The 2.20mb download is for the TOPO maps, but that language is inside an indented quote field. Just under that (HERE) is the 47.72mb download which affects the main Mapsource software.

In the meanwhile, I'll upload a GPX to the UnRally site and give that a try. When you go to open the file, change the file type (drop down menu) to .gpx

I was able to open a GPX file even though I couldn't open the same file as a GDB. If it works out for you I'll change them all to a GPX.

Edit: to clarify that I downloaded the 47mb update and everything worked just fine.

Remember that I'll have paper maps too, and there are not that many paved roads in this part of the state, so I think you'll be able to find your way around. Feel free to contact me offline if you want. I'll send my email (I carry a Blackberry) and cell number to you in a PM, for the both of you.

I want to make this work out so you can use all of your gadgets.

AdventurePoser

I am not putting a route TO John Day into the Zumo, but will probably try to upload some of the rides around the area.

How do you download into the Zumo I route sent you via the internet? Such as these....

Cheers,

Steve

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Reminder to all: I'll have my laptop with me, and have all of the routes saved. I'll make a game attempt to open everything and save them as GPX files too, should you have difficulties with the others.

All you'll need to bring with you is your GPS-USB cable. If you're working with a Garmin product, and it's compatible with the cable for a 2610, then I'll bring mine and you're set.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Okay, time for me to go to bed. I just saved & uploaded all the GPS files as GPX files. Someone mentioned that more platofrms would open it that way. See all of them HERE.

I can also save any routes for you as v2. If I remember, I'll print out master copies of all of the routes, so you can see what they look like before running them.

The route named JD Salisbury should be considered a MUST RIDE.

Paul_Burkett

I saved all of the routes onto a file on the computer but I can not compile them onto the routes list to transfer to the GPS. Any help will be appreciated.

I'll send you the file I created containing all (18) UnRally VII pavement routes which you can upload enmasse. Anyone else likewise is welcome...

Jeff

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

7/4/08: Happy Independence Day!! Added a Fire Lookout tower loop, in both formats.

I'll send you the file I created containing all (18) UnRally VII pavement routes which you can upload enmasse. Anyone else likewise is welcome...

Jeff

Which Mapset are you using?

Steve:

Thanks for all the work, the *.gpx route files from/to John Day work fine, but they all have the same name .

Have corrected them on my 'puter. It was just the html label under the heading. Will put them on my Zumo SD card for anyone ele who has a Zumo to import.

Mike Cassidy

Jeff

Which Mapset are you using?

Heck, when I wrote " I created" what I meant was I combined all 18 pavement routes into one file (renamed specific routes from "John Day to John Day" to a name similar to download file name) for transfer to GPS unit "enmasse". This allows each route to be individually selected (or deleted once imported or after use). I didn't alter the actual routes (my MapSource version is 6.12.4). The combined file of 18 routes is prox 1.1 megs which I can email if desired.

Jeff

Ok Thanks....

Routes vary by mapset installed I found...I had to convert from V2008 to V8 to get things to work correctly.... got er done though.

Most everything I will need on the trip is in my old Streetpilot III...except XM radio of course, but I have a work-around there.

Life is good- Blast-off tomorrow!!

Anyone have any general guidance/thoughts on degrees of difficulty of any of the posted tracks/loops? What ones are a real challenge, what ones are 'easy-riding', what is a 'Sunday drive?'

I know it's all relative, one person's 'snoozer' is another's 'OMGAWD', but just wondering in generalities.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Yes, and I can talk to you about it after you arrive. We can look at the mileage you want to do for a particular day and make a recommendation. Once onsite, there will be several members who have often come down for Chief Joseph and they can help too. Believe it or not, this will be my first trip to JD. I have it on good authority that the ride labeled "JD-Salisbury" is also known as the Dooley Mtn Highway and it has 150+ turns. Might have to do that even with my knobbies.

And I actually have the bike back together now...just a little more shopping to do now.

Firefight911

And I actually have the bike back together now...just a little more shopping to do now.

And it actually started . . . and ran??? :grin::wave:

Val stayed in the house, obviously!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: (inside joke)

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
And it actually started . . . and ran??? :grin::wave:
Ummm, no. I get to mount a new start/kill switch tomorrow. "No" should be interpreted as "didn't try it".

Keep you fingers crossed!

Archived