IGNORED

Drilling into concrete garage floor

CoarsegoldKid

CoarsegoldKid

I'm needing information/ your experience on drilling into concrete. I'm mounting a tire changer and the instructions say use 3/4 masonry bit and a 3/4 lag shield.

I've tried to drill 3/4 holes into concrete before using my 18 volt 3/8 drive and although I did get a hole it wasn't pretty. I tried one hole with the 3/4 and it just destroyed the bit. Next I used pilot holes working up to 3/4. But when it came to the 3/4(new) bit I was only able to do little better. In fact some of the holes wouldn't go deep enough and the two 3/4 bits I used were destroyed.

Is there a better way?

Firefight911

You need a mason bit and a hammer drill. It is amazing the difference you will see as soon as you go at it with the hammer drill!!!!!

Your cordless drill is not gonna work on something that big. Try the rental yard for a hammer drill, get a new bit, and don't force the bit with a lotta pressure! Let the drill do the work or you'll just melt the end off the bit.

Cheap advice from someone who does this alot!

Hi joe :wave:

LandonBlueRT
Your cordless drill is not gonna work on something that big. Try the rental yard for a hammer drill, get a new bit, and don't force the bit with a lotta pressure! Let the drill do the work or you'll just melt the end off the bit.

Cheap advice from someone who does this alot!

+1, from another with experience.

I'm needing information/ your experience on drilling into concrete. I'm mounting a tire changer and the instructions say use 3/4 masonry bit and a 3/4 lag shield. (snip) Is there a better way?

To start with, I recommend using a 3/8" Drop-in-Anchor.

That way the drill size is only 1/2" & 4 of them should be plenty strong enough for the task as I'm sure that drop ins are stronger then lags.

This is what I did for the base of my NoMar. I had to use oversized washers on the 3/8" bolts though.

Perhaps you could make a non hammer type drill work but an impact type drill is the proper way to do it.

Calvin  (no socks)

I have installed 6 auto lifts at the dealership. I went to a pawn shop and purchased a hammer drill and several bits for $40.00. I used it and then sold it back to the pawn shop 2 weeks later... Or you could rent one..

Try to find some that carries a chemical anchor in your neck of the woods. they won't loosen up over time and won't stress the concrete the way standard anchors do.

Alan

CoarsegoldKid

Thanks guys. What I ended up doing is renting a 1/2" drive Milwaukee hammer drill. I bought a 3/4" bit made for concrete and hammer drill use. I used pilot holes to make sure I was at least centered on each hole. A friend poured water at the hole to cool off the bit. I was able to get three holes out of four and it was a very difficult task. Not easy. I thought I was drilling rebar. The holes were not uniform but the tire changer will stay put.

bakerzdosen

Well, I read a thread that (I think David started) talked about the topic a while ago. I decided to just give it a go with my Dewalt 18v cordless drill (with a hammer drill setting - which made a little bit of difference).

Suffice it to say, it worked. I did one hole a night, dropped in the anchors, and everything was fine.

HOWEVER, it took a LONG time to drill through. YMMV.

Yeah, well I've done ordinary drill w/ masonry bit, hammer drill w/ masonry bit, cold chisel and 3 lb sledge, air hammer with chisel, and last time the HF SDS drill with SDS bit. All this on various masonry/cement projects.

My reaction to the SDS drill: Holy Crap Batman!, as they say.

Here's a LINKY

This thing will bore a hole in about 5 seconds in the hardest concrete you've ever seen. No drift, nice clean hole. Effortless. Fast. Amazing. For $59 it's a total no brainer. Happy to lend you mine next time you have a need.

Jan

Archived