IGNORED

The intersting part about my trip to Spain. PIX

skinny_tom (aka boney)

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Scooters are king in the urban environment:

318364784_tgKkx-L.jpg

Not enough street parking? Line 'em up on the sidewalk!

318364385_rqpEo-L.jpg

They do a lot of filtering and lane sharing in Spain. In Grenada they pile up in the oncoming lanes then race out in front of traffic when the light turns green. It's a blast to watch. (sorry no pictures.)

But don't try to do it here:

318369711_aXGBf-L.jpg

I can see why they like the scooter. Check out the clearances on parking.

318367282_r6h7D-L.jpg

If you need to cross a section of closed road/square/sidewalk/median, no problem!

318363775_ouBRk-L.jpg

skinny_tom (aka boney)

There's some familliar models:

318365273_9NYQT-L.jpg

318366568_8BxbF-L.jpg

318362820_7e6tT-L.jpg

And some not-so-familliar:

318363683_KG4P5-L.jpg

318370049_UJ652-L.jpg

(Z750)

318369138_ELjQf-L.jpg

And then there's old skool:

318367866_Qftpn-L.jpg

skinny_tom (aka boney)

But... And this is important... Don't run from them. They'll get you on any of the many arrows in their quiver.

318368621_u3MxE-L.jpg

318362852_VvpWH-L.jpg

318363303_UYH8o-M.jpg

The craziest of the cops were on the scooters BTW. They can get those things through a crowd in a hurry.

Cool! We spent 10 days in Barcelona 1.5 years ago, and it was a trip to never forget.

One thing we saw a fair bit of is men riding behind women riders.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

There was this architect there, he's dead now. I think his name was Gaudi or something. A lot of people might pronounce that gaudy! (not me though, I kind like his stuff.)

318485264_rLYY4-L.jpg

318479503_mY9dY-L.jpg

318491106_2u4jq-L.jpg

318492873_PrFKs-L.jpg

He designed a Cathedral too;

318495092_ZaFra-L-1.jpg

But it's not done:

318504899_W2rBD-L.jpg

Took the elevator up:

318510526_sGeEB-M.jpg

And the stairs back down:

318512192_MsWYs-L.jpg

Yeah, I think the scooter roles and rules look about like what we saw in Italy last fall.

Thanks for posting.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

South of Barcelona there's a town called Tarragona. It's got an old colliseum:

318673728_TTFH5-L.jpg

and the remnants of an old walled city.

318683370_aCjSL-L.jpg

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Hey all, in case you didn't notice, you're getting the express tour. I've got 1500 pictures to sort through!

keep'em coming Tom!

I spent a week in Valencia about 20 years ago and really need to get back there.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Unfortunately, I was pouring rain most of the time we were in Tarragona, so we didn't make it out to the Roman Aquaduct. Bummer.

But back in Barcelona, Gaudi was still going nuts with his jive:

318502268_F44cf-L.jpg

318772350_foygV-L.jpg

318502768_EeatY-L.jpg

Yep, there's a piggy in that picture.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

For you Matt:

318520082_5T4a4-L.jpg

Had a great conversation about the local wines. Bought a bunch to bring home, then promptly drank it all over the course of the trip.

For you Matt:

318520082_5T4a4-L.jpg

Had a great conversation about the local wines. Bought a bunch to bring home, then promptly drank it all over the course of the trip.

that's awesome Tom, I'm sure they were too heavy to carry anyways. I'd love to have been there to help drink them!

That reminds me I have to get up to Sonoma,might even get some home. :grin:

Tom, I'm really enjoying your travelogue. Thanks for posting.

That reminds me I have to get up to Sonoma,might even get some home. :grin:

Tom, I'm really enjoying your travelogue. Thanks for posting.

Tom,

I haven't yet found any Spanish wines I enjoy. Have tried a few Riojas, how do they say, is it con crianza. If you want to name a few, I'll see if we can find them. We stocked up on Brunello di Montalcino's after our Italy trip. We had one almost every night over there. Took a pic of each bottle. Love 'em.

Keep the pics coming. This is great! Tell us a little about what you did too.

Thanks,

Jan

Ya know, Boney, maybe if you learned how to work a camera....

:grin:

Really, good stuff there. Can't wait to see the other fourteen hundred & eighty five pictures. :/

Hey all, in case you didn't notice, you're getting the express tour. I've got 1500 pictures to sort through!

Post them ALL!!!!

I want to go to Spain now....

So Tom how is the sorting going?

Sure could use another fix of your pictures.

TIA

skinny_tom (aka boney)

So Tom how is the sorting going?

Sure could use another fix of your pictures.

TIA

I've been at work a lot since we got back. I'll post up a bunch tomorrow.

A little factoid: GAUDY-English Adjective-Folk etymology attributes origin as stemming from the name of the Catalonian architect, Antonio Gaudí (1852-1926). (i.e His artwork is a little gaudy for my taste). If you think his architecture is strange, you should see his artwork. He must have consumed some possibly illegal substances to produce what he did. Or maybe just some bad paella.

[

I've been at work a lot since we got back. I'll post up a bunch tomorrow.

Thanks...Looking forwards to them.

skinny_tom (aka boney)
A little factoid: GAUDY-English Adjective-Folk etymology attributes origin as stemming from the name of the Catalonian architect, Antonio Gaudí (1852-1926). (i.e His artwork is a little gaudy for my taste). If you think his architecture is strange, you should see his artwork. He must have consumed some possibly illegal substances to produce what he did. Or maybe just some bad paella.

Thanks! One might thing that the name and word are too simillar to be coincidence, yes?

Did someone say paella?

318512547_siN9L-L.jpg

Yes, there is a piggy in this picture too. A trend maybe?

skinny_tom (aka boney)

So, off to Bilbao. One of the more surprising experiences this trip because we really had no idea what to expect.

Gabby is a big fan of Frank Gehry and modern art. Where better to go than a place where you can find them both?

The Guggenheim Museum, Bilbao:

318544849_MPdry-L.jpg

But first a bit about the town.

Bilbao, until relatively recently was an industrial center that profited heavily from the Port, which was on the Nervion River, which runs right through town. A move toward urban renewal includes moving the port to the Bay of Biscay and opening up real estate to construction of more, um, tourisy and business-y type construction. The town is an interesting mix of old and new. The people are friendly, and the food is excellent.

Along the river:

318538787_47gdv-L.jpg

318539227_KetUJ-L.jpg

Guess who's coming to town?

318540467_sNpJ3-L.jpg

318541950_MfpqG-L.jpg

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Some pictures from around town:

From the hotel balcony:

318522381_ZhAqF-L.jpg

318522501_HsQyT-L.jpg

318506216_MsGTp-L.jpg

318854643_G5fuz-L.jpg

318566320_rYmuu-L.jpg

skinny_tom (aka boney)

If you've seen any of the Frank Gehry buildings, you know how the light can play off them is unbelievable ways. Here are a few pictures of the building itself, said to represent the figure of a ship with it's sails unfurled.

318541344_Vz4ja-L.jpg

318543570_RqWV7-L.jpg

318840668_XReY5-L.jpg

318545237_s34J7-L.jpg

Archived