IGNORED

Energy Drinks??????

Whip

I have now consumed 13 Rockstar energy drinks in the last 6 months.

I can't stand the smell of Red Bull.

I had one Monster.

I can see gettin hooked on em in my new bidness.

They seem like they should be bad for ya?????????

Anyone see any studies or have any info.??????

They really do make me more productive.........but I don't want to cause any health issues that I will surely regret.

Whip

can you say SUGAR - that's mostly what's in them.

I tried and do like Vitamin Water - comes in my flavours - very tasty and will pick you up.

Mark

Well you do understand that it's a lot of sugar and lots of caffeine right? It contains three to four times as much caffeine (300 to 400%) as a regular coke, and about 40% more sugar. I'm pretty sure that's 99% of the punch.

As to the herbs, roots, and taurine and other stuff.... Quite a little brew. Personally I avoid all that sort of stuff, but there is so little in this I can't imagine it would do much harm. You understand that supplements of this nature are pretty controversial.

If you aren't taking any prescription drugs and have had no adverse affects I think they'd probably be ok, but don't quote me. If you are taking prescription drugs you should do some research to be sure that nothing in this little cocktail interacts with what you are taking.

Jan

I have read that a lot of energy drinks have a lot of caffeine in them, that's not to good for the body/heart. I don't take a multi-vitamin because it doesn't have enough of any one thing my body really needs.

But I have been taking vitamin supplements for 21 years and I have taken what works for me at each age of my life. B12 supplements gives you the natural energy your body needs. Usually people who walk/exercise and take supplements have a lot of energy.

You can also get a B12 drink mix from any health food store that gives you a quick boost if you are really run down. Vitamin water by Glaceau has several formula drink mixes. The one for energy has 50mg of natural caffeine. You can get it at most any store. :thumbsup:

Tried Red Bull once. Blech. Haven't tried any of the others.

Didn't start drinking coffee 'til I was 35. Now I kinda wish I hadn't. Then my better half introduced me to a latte. I kinda wish she hadn't. Then she brought me a blended one, for summer, like a milkshake. I kinda wish I didn't know about those.

Moderation is the key, so I try to confine my latte intake to weekends. Or emergencies. Or days that end in "y."

Coffee allegedly has some antioxidant properties. Yeah, that's the ticket, antioxidants...

Tried Red Bull once. Blech. Haven't tried any of the others.

Didn't start drinking coffee 'til I was 35. Now I kinda wish I hadn't. Then my better half introduced me to a latte. I kinda wish she hadn't. Then she brought me a blended one, for summer, like a milkshake. I kinda wish I didn't know about those.

Moderation is the key, so I try to confine my latte intake to weekends. Or emergencies. Or days that end in "y."

Coffee allegedly has some antioxidant properties. Yeah, that's the ticket, antioxidants...

you have to try roasting your own coffee - that's when you get flavours you can't get anywhere else.

Mark

Well you do understand that it's a lot of sugar and lots of caffeine right? It contains three to four times as much caffeine (300 to 400%) as a regular coke, and about 40% more sugar. I'm pretty sure that's 99% of the punch.

Jan

So, I can do my 50CC in twenty nine hours, but I'll drop dead half way home? :dopeslap:

Jan

So, I can do my 50CC in twenty nine hours, but I'll drop dead half way home? :dopeslap:

I don't think so. Moderate caffeine consumption isn't a problem. I wouldn't chug 24 oz of this stuff, but one or two 8 oz servings a day isn't going to hurt you if your other caffeine intake is low. It's basically like a cup or two of coffee.

The sugar is probably more of a problem in the long run. It is a lot of sugar.

Jan

They seem like they should be bad for ya?????????

One of my friends had a heart attack at age 26 because of energy drinks.

Now granted he was only consuming those and cigarettes for long periods of time... not the smartest guy.

ShovelStrokeEd

Really bad for the kidneys and won't do your liver much good either. I don't use sugar at all (diabetes) and limit my caffeine to a couple of cups in the AM. I do eat fresh fruit a couple of times a day and drink lots of milk. It seems to work for me.

Slyder_Steve

I've got 200+ "kids" in my unit. They all seem to drink this stuff (mild overstatement). The biggest problem I run in to is dehydration--I send about 2-3 a month to the hospital due to just not drinking enough water. Typical response is "gee, I drank three energy drinks, thought that would be enough".

Based on this "very scientific" study, I'd say, drink what you want in moderation, but be sure to down some H2O in there.

BTW--13 Rockstars in 6 months...not something I'd be worried about...my 2 cents

Slyder

I was kidding. I'm sticking to water, & the occasional Gatorade.

Danny - check the Vitamin Water - very good taste and has some stuff good for you without sugar and caffeine.

Mark

Calvin  (no socks)

Thirteen? I believe you are already hooked...

time to man up and twelve step this thing... :grin:

Draftermike

I don't hit the energy drinks on a regular basis, but find it amazing what they'll do for you in the afternoon of a long ride when you are feeling dull! I can feel like I'm about ready to hang it up for the day, get an energy drink, and the ride is fun again. I figure they are bad for ya but I'll sure chug one now and then if it means being much more alert, and making a day of hours and hours of riding much more enjoyable.

Francois_Dumas

Never drink energy drinks, so I can't tell.....

Hang on, perhaps THAT's why I always doze off while typing in th........ ZZZZZzzzzzzz

ShovelStrokeEd

My doctor warns me about this all the time. High blood sugar=bad for kidneys and liver. Am I wrong?

BTW, I'm at Yale all next week, is that too far to meet somewhere for a beer?

Absolutely close enough for a beer Ed! I'll PM you my #.

Your right about the high blood sugar part causing damage. But the key issue is whether or not the sugar in the energy drink actually causes the blood sugar to get too high. In people who do not have any problems regulating blood sugar, the spike that you will get after slamming a Rockstar is short lived - insulin is quickly released and triggers cells in the liver and muscle convert the sugar quickly and makes other cells in the body take it up, so that blood levels of glucose never get too high.

However, if blood sugar regulation is impaired (as in diabetes) then a sugar load, i.e., Monster, Rockstar, etc, will cause blood sugar levels to go rather high and for longer periods of time. After a while, this can cause damage to the liver, kidneys, and just about every organ. That why it is so key to get tight control of blood sugar in diabetes and to stay away from heavy sugar loads.

So back the Whips original question - the caffeine load is only moderate, as Jan pointed out, and is usually no more than a strong cup of coffee. The sugar content is high but if you do not have problems controlling blood sugar, brush your teeth, and have a high baseline level of energy expenditure (active person), I don't think it s a big deal. The herbs are a wild card. They haven't killed anyone yet - at least I don't think so.

ShovelStrokeEd

OK, for a non-diabetic, it is not an issue. I don't fit that category, hence my MD's warning. Even though my diabetes is well regulated, thanks to medication, I do have to be careful about sugar loads or even (gasp) alcohol consumption. Moderate, thank goodness, is OK for me.

Absolutely close enough for a beer Ed! I'll PM you my #.

Your right about the high blood sugar part causing damage. But the key issue is whether or not the sugar in the energy drink actually causes the blood sugar to get too high. In people who do not have any problems regulating blood sugar, the spike that you will get after slamming a Rockstar is short lived - insulin is quickly released and triggers cells in the liver and muscle convert the sugar quickly and makes other cells in the body take it up, so that blood levels of glucose never get too high.

However, if blood sugar regulation is impaired (as in diabetes) then a sugar load, i.e., Monster, Rockstar, etc, will cause blood sugar levels to go rather high and for longer periods of time. After a while, this can cause damage to the liver, kidneys, and just about every organ. That why it is so key to get tight control of blood sugar in diabetes and to stay away from heavy sugar loads.

So back the Whips original question - the caffeine load is only moderate, as Jan pointed out, and is usually no more than a strong cup of coffee. The sugar content is high but if you do not have problems controlling blood sugar, brush your teeth, and have a high baseline level of energy expenditure (active person), I don't think it s a big deal. The herbs are a wild card. They haven't killed anyone yet - at least I don't think so.

However, if a normal healthy person slams a lot of sugar and does not use the energy fairly quickly then the sugar ends up as fat does it not? Often times the much dreaded organ/belly fat.

Additionally, high sugar loads can push triglycerides up leading to heart disease, and can stress the pancreas and liver leading to diabetes, yes?

I think most doc's recommend against high sugar consumption the and the FDA nutritional guidelines say consume it sparingly.

I would agree, not a really big deal for most people most of the time. Almost certainly not an issue in moderate occasional use. But definitely not the healthiest way to go about things in the long run, and I would get concerned if someone was drinking 60 oz a day.

Jan

However, if a normal healthy person slams a lot of sugar and does not use the energy fairly quickly then the sugar ends up as fat does it not? Often times the much dreaded organ/belly fat.

I the presence of other calorie sources, that is correct. It's usually deposited as 'visceral fat' just under the abdominal wall, which is much worse health-wise than fat in other places. Reason being that it is drained by the liver circulation ('portal circulation'). Thus blood flowing from the visceral fat bathes the liver in high triglyceride, high free fatty acid blood. Because of the reactions that occur in the liver, it pushes you towards insulin resistance (pre-diabetic state) and a slew of other metabolic complications.

I think most doc's recommend against high sugar consumption the and the FDA nutritional guidelines say consume it sparingly.

Sure. It's because most people are not active enough to utilize it before it sets off the chain of events that leads to fatty acid and triglyceride production. An endurance athlete, for example, could consume (and usually does) exceedingly high amounts of simple and complex sugars daily without ill effect on blood lipid profiles.

Additionally, high sugar loads can push triglycerides up leading to heart disease, and can stress the pancreas and liver leading to diabetes, yes?

Within certain limits. Just consuming simple sugars is not going to automatically lead to high TG. If you are already in a calorie surplus, then you will tip the scales towards TG production. Conversely, someone in a calorie deficit is not going to increase blood TG from sustaining on a high sugar diet. People tend to eat too much protein and lipid, in addition to too many carbohydrates! Eventually one can develop the 'metabolic syndrome' - insulin resistance, central obesity, elevated blood lipoprotein/cholesterol/triglyceride, and escalating blood pressure. It's an epidemic of industrialized nations right now.

...drinking 60 oz a day.

Yikes Jan! I was talking about, shall we say 'recreational use'. I'd never recommend consumption in that quantity to anyone. A couple cans a day? I'm hard pressed to think its really a detriment to overall health, especially in an active adult with a decent diet.

I would get concerned if someone was drinking 60 oz a day.

Yes, they have heart attacks at age 26 as I stated above!

Check out a drink called "FRS Healthy Energy". I had never heard of it but they gave us free cans of it a few weeks ago at the end of a charity race. It's pretty good in terms of natural/healthy ingredients and only has caffeine = 1/2 cup of coffee. I'm kind of sold on it, use it after workouts at the gym or as a quick energy boost. It's available in most groceries out here (Seattle). Endorsed by Lance Armstrong Foundation for what it's worth.

They have a website: http://www.frs.com/#/home/

p.s. *I have no affiliation with that company/product whatsoever*

Yes, they have heart attacks at age 26 as I stated above!

Sorry to hear about that.

I'd guess that there was some kind of underlying heart disease present - slim chance that a normal heart would crap out from only drinking these things. In fact, when young people die suddenly of a 'heart attack' it is often, but not always because of something called HCM / IHSS. Anything that gets their heart rate up (i.e., caffeine and smoking) will put them at risk for sudden arrhythmia and arrest. It's a really sad deal.

He didn't die, just had to go to the hospital where upon the doctors told him he had a heart attack. Further investigation revealed his horrible dietary regime and a possible avenue to the attack became evident. As you stated a heart condition must be underling also. Since he is the kind of person he is we can't tell him anything...

Now that he has added pizza regularly, he's on the path to good health.

Some people really learn the hard way.

Archived