IGNORED

do we take 96 or 3 from arcata to Klamath falls

randy

we are going South on 299 from Arcata,CA heading to Klamath Falls.

we plan on jumping off 299 and taking either 96 or 3 up to I-5 then a short run up I-5 to 66 then over to Klamath Falls.

so which road is better 96 or 3. Based upon the map, the start of 3 looks good, but the last 1/2 of 96 looks great.

Anyone with real experience that can give us recommendations, it would be appreciated.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

It's been a long time since I was on 3. I remember it being slow (of course, it was night when I was there, and in a car.)

I came down 96 a few years ago. It was a fantastic ride. It's all two lane roads, with some great views. It's not difficult to keep the average speed up along most of it- and it follows the Klamath river for a good ways. Check the weather, it gets hot in those little valleys.

36 is considered a classic California Motorcycle destination, but would be a bit of a backtrack for you.

Not to worry we are riding 36 the prior day on our trip from Willits, Ca to Arcata, Ca

thanks for the info, sounds like 96 is the better option.

96 and 3 are both well maintained two lane roads, either one will fill the bill. The first portion of 96 will take you through the Hoopa Indian Reservation. This portion is also the not so scenic area. Once you pass the junction of 169 things improve. I don't think there is fuel between Willow Creek and Happy Camp. Happy Camp is a bit more populace than Orleans and will have fuel. You don't want to travel "down river" as the locals call it on 169. This is traditional tribal land and not meant for the white man.

Hope this helps.

Happy camp has a good Pizza place we ate at once. I know there is a cardloc place there but I forget if ther is a proper gas station. I'd say probably so. BMW Nagavator says 76 and cardloc.

Pizza House and Headway pizza. Don't know which we were at. :wave:

Randy, Both 96 and 3 will drop you onto the I-5 so you can go north to 66....

If it were me I'd ride 96 in place of 3 just because of the traffic on 299....

I very rearly get traffic on 96...

I was on 36 last week and they had a grader up there doing shoulder work and the pavement was dirty

See ya in John Day

we are going South on 299 from Arcata,CA heading to Klamath Falls.

we plan on jumping off 299 and taking either 96 or 3 up to I-5 then a short run up I-5 to 66 then over to Klamath Falls.

so which road is better 96 or 3. Based upon the map, the start of 3 looks good, but the last 1/2 of 96 looks great.

Anyone with real experience that can give us recommendations, it would be appreciated.

Randy,

Hwy 3 is absolutely awesome and twistier than 96. Both routes are fine. 96 is famous for deer on the road, so be careful. Hoopa is a speed trap. They will love writing you up, so keep the speed down and watch for inebriated drivers. It is full of them (I ride through there several times a year).

If you take 96, and come out at I-5, you are 30 minutes from my place, if you need a stopover or assistance, PM me for contact info.

If come out from 3 to Yreka, I know a great back way route to get you to Klamath Falls. You can also come from Hwy 3 (Yreka) on back roads to Hornbrook, then I-5 to Ashland and Hwy 66 to K. Falls which is an awesome route. If you're on GS's, I know a route from 96 @I-5 to 66 with no slab.

If I can be of assistance, let me know. You'll be in my back yard :D

Randy, As of today Cal 36 is closed due to fire control... parts are one way for local traffic Hope it changes for you when ya get here

Archived