IGNORED

Ford or Chevy?

BadAdam

So with the gas prices rising beyond most people's level of comfort I've decided to buy a new (used) truck for myself. I"m thinking that nice used Ford F150 or Chevy 1500 is right for me size wise and I'm looking for one with an extended cab (about half the size of a seat) and without the extra doors one em.

Any suggestions either way on these brands?

I'm likely looking for a 2006 or 2007 model but hear that a new F150 is coming out this year so the newer Fords may be the way to go when the model changes.

mostly I'm looking to buy a work truck to haul stuff around between apartments and occasionally truck a bike around.

Adam,

Recently contmplated this too.

But, w/older (cheaper :/

) versions.

When I checked on reliability reports and such, it seemed the older F series got the nod.

Not sure about the newer ones.

This from a lifetime Bowtie X60-200-CHVY2516-0.jpg guy. :grin:

Best wishes.

You have opened a big can of worms!!!

Ford or Chevy

Synth or Dino

Helmet law or no helmet law

Guns or no guns

Here is my take on it. My brother has been driving Ford trucks for years, I have been driving Chevys. What we have determined is that they are about the same. It all come down to what you are comfortable in. I keep driving Chevy's because they are familiar and my brother is the same with the Fords. They are both good vehicles and like anything else if you maintain them they will last a long time. We have both had trucks well over the 150K mark. So find the best deal on the one you like and go for it.

Loved the F150 I used to own. Either way, avoid 4WD if you can, less maintanence, and you get about 1 MPG more (it adds up, 20-25 miles per tankfull, right?!)

I would say go with Dodge as well - with the Cummins diesel. Mine got 25 mpg on the freeway, and 21 mpg in town. If you are relegated to only Ford or Chevy, just get the cheapest one. They are both equivalent trucks and they both suck at mileage.

Just bought a f150. 25k for a brand new CC 4wd! Couldn't pass that up!!

After extensive questioning of friends/family, that own one or the other, basically it seems like Chevy has a little better ride, a little more ("perceived") acceleration. Ford has way better looks ; ). I havn't owned a truck in a while, but I have to say, the ride is really nice!! Then you add the fact its a 4wd!! Good job ford!

It really came down to they were so close, that looks and a deal made the decision for me.

Calvin  (no socks)

I've got an old Chevy in the backyard, 340k on the clock..still runs good.. any takers? :grin:

Im sure some super deals are in the near future...just a premonition of the market...

I'm a Ford man myself. You won't find a 2006-7 F-150 without back doors of some type, even the standard cab has rearward opening doors. I think the newer Chevys have a six speed auto (gas engine) and because of that get better mileage. The ride of the Chevy seems to be better, but I like my truck to ride like a truck. I say buy whatever you can get the best deal on, but I also have to protect my Ford bias and steer you towards the blue oval.

russell_bynum
I would say go with Dodge as well - with the Cummins diesel. Mine got 25 mpg on the freeway, and 21 mpg in town. If you are relegated to only Ford or Chevy, just get the cheapest one. They are both equivalent trucks and they both suck at mileage.

I like mine (/03 Dodge 2500 4x4 Quad Cab, short bed, Cummins) quite a bit, but I'm coming to the realization that what I have is best engine ever put in a consumer truck, wrapped in a turd.

I don't know if Ford/Chevy would have been any better, and I really do LOVE that Cummins engine, but the rest of the truck is kind of a POS.

You have opened a big can of worms!!!

Ford or Chevy

Synth or Dino

Helmet law or no helmet law

Guns or no guns

Hey, you forgot MaryAnn or Ginger

connecting%20rod.jpg

Of course what puts this photo in a different light is the fact that the Cummins is a I6 while the Ford & Chevy are V8s. As a result, the individual piston displacement of the current 6.7L Cummins engine is 1.12L. The Ford is 0.80L/Cyl & Chevy is 0.825L/Cyl.

In other words, rod size isn't everything! :dopeslap:

I like mine (/03 Dodge 2500 4x4 Quad Cab, short bed, Cummins) quite a bit, but I'm coming to the realization that what I have is best engine ever put in a consumer truck, wrapped in a turd.

I don't know if Ford/Chevy would have been any better, and I really do LOVE that Cummins engine, but the rest of the truck is kind of a POS.

That's - a pretty good way of summing it up.

I've had Ford 350's when I had a living quarters horse trailer, then a 250 when I downsized and now have had back to back Ford 150's with the Super Cab and long bed. Newer ones have electric windows in the back as well as sliding windows in the back. 4X4 on the fly is quite handy.

I have never had one problem with any of the Ford's I've owned and the car dealers are really hurting so you can make quite a deal. I got a zero interest loan from Ford on mine last year.

Ford is a little stiffer than a Chevy with no load but when you load them up, the Ford gets very smooth and rock stable. I prefer my truck can handle loads like horse trailers and will sacrifice a little comfort on the road when it's empty for the better ride when it's pulling or carrying some weight.

Bruce

So it's looking like the Chevy 1500 might be the winner.

After shopping used trucks for the past week or so I've learned that most people don't realize that the dealers are radically undercutting the used market with the new trucks on the lot. Example is that the truck I'd like to buy has a MSRP of about 27K and with all the various rebates and such they can sell it for just under 15K. Now I take that and try to convince a dude with a 2 year old model that may or may not be taken care of to reduce his price and I'm getting people pissed at me for offering less than 20K.

The Diesls intrigue me but there are two main problems:

1 - diesel cost is more than 25% higher in my area negating all fuel savings

2 - the best ones are offered in the super-duty trucks that are way more than what I need.

I'm currently rolling a 1985 Toyota with 233,500 miles on it so I know it's time to get something a bit newer.

One interesting thing is that GM is offering a 'loyalty' rebate right now of $4,000 which is how the 1500 can be bought for under fifteen grand. Only problem is that I don't own any GM products and don't technically qualify. The sales guy was dreaming up some elusive ways around this and being an Eagle Scout I'm all for thinking through these type of moral issues....

Anyone want to 'lend' me a corvette for a couple of days?

Adam, I have a RAM 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel. I've put nearly 70k miles on it in 3 years. Great engine. Okay interior and build quality. Shitty tranny. I don't want the expense of a car, too, so it's my only vehicle, which means it may be 9,000 lbs plus pulling a 10,000 lb. trailer, or I'm just doing errands in it empty. Terrific mileage for what it does (19-20 around town and low- mid-twenties on the freeway). Virtually maintenance free, and all easy to do myself.

The Ford is the most car-like of the trucks. Having owned a Ford pickup, I wouldn't buy another, but I won't go into that.

I think the GM pickup is a great truck, especially with the deeper discounts. I don't know much about the gas engine side in them, but one thing you'll want to factor in before dismissing the diesel because of higher initial cost is this: a) better mileage and b) better resale. Their tranny is top notch--best in the business. They are a good buy.

There is an internet-only dealer rep many of us have used in St. Louis (Knapp, me, Sean, Spike, etc.) with amazing prices on the RAM side if you want to check it out.

motoguy128

So it's looking like the Chevy 1500 might be the winner.

I'm currently rolling a 1985 Toyota with 233,500 miles on it so I know it's time to get something a bit newer.

One interesting thing is that GM is offering a 'loyalty' rebate right now of $4,000 which is how the 1500 can be bought for under fifteen grand. Only problem is that I don't own any GM products and don't technically qualify. The sales guy was dreaming up some elusive ways around this and being an Eagle Scout I'm all for thinking through these type of moral issues....

Anyone want to 'lend' me a corvette for a couple of days?

Go buy a $500 POS chevy car that barely runs, and trade it in for that new truck and get your owner loyalty rebate.

Of course what puts this photo in a different light is the fact that the Cummins is a I6 while the Ford & Chevy are V8s...

Those engines being V8's IMO makes them even less desirable. The Cummins has more bearings/journals and less cylinders per journal than the V8's do. If its a diesel V configuration it should be painted green and have the word "Detroit" stamped on it.

So far I have had good success with my Dodge. I have put $70K on it in 2.5 years and it has performed very well. I got the manual tranny so I can't comment on David's evaluation of the auto. In general though I have to say the truck has been solid. Mine was put through a pretty rough 4 wheeling situation unintentionally and it came out fine. It is a keeper and I hope to get 300K out of it.

Spike

Those engines being V8's IMO makes them even less desirable. The Cummins has more bearings/journals and less cylinders per journal than the V8's do. If its a diesel V configuration it should be painted green and have the word "Detroit" stamped on it.

Not arguing which one is more or less desiralbe. Just pointing out the fact the the Cummins has to have beefier rods, etc. due to the displacement per cylinder difference.

All good points.

The majority of my usage is going to be hauling lighter stuff around including some bicycles for an import business I'm starting and then for my apartment management business.

I've got some personal cars (and bikes of course) that I can use for schlepping around with better mileage and for more fun so this is basically a work truck.

I'm also planning to keep it for a number of years since it seems like the best bet is to buy them to keep em. So many of the suburban cowboys (to quote the WSJ today) are out of the market now that the chevy dealer has called me twice since Sunday. If he can get the price to my number I'll go and write the check within ten minutes since I live a five minute walk from the place.

Now I'm going to need some suggestions on bicycle racks for the back of this thing.

That and I think I need a cowboy hat and a CD with the 'like a rock' commercial...

Go buy a $500 POS chevy car that barely runs, and trade it in for that new truck and get your owner loyalty rebate.

Thought about that but the car has to be newer than a 1999. Two pretty good friends have cars within this range so I may buy under their name and then try some finagling later.

I don't get why they wouldn't try to attract a new customer (I've never bought an American car) in addition to the older customers but I guess they have a more captive audience to 'reward' than me who is kind of brand agnostic.

(I think I need to open a bottle of wine to really think of some devious methods to express my dissatisfaction with this system)

bakerzdosen
So far I have had good success with my Dodge. I have put $70K on it in 2.5 years
I dunno... Sounds pretty expensive to me... :)
I don't get why they wouldn't try to attract a new customer...

Chevrolet has never had a problem attracting new customers. Once one has owned a Chevrolet, well, lets just say that the incentive is necessary to encourage ownership of a second Chevrolet...... :dopeslap:

steveknapp

Newer GM trucks get the displacement on demand hardware which is supposed to help highway MPG a good bit.

Both the newer F150s and GM trucks are pretty nice. They all make turds.

I'd honestly go for a first gen Tundra. Not the new "trying to be big" one, but the older 7/8ths sized one. Nice truck, well made.

Oh, and as far as Diesels go, I had the Cummins, and now have a Duramax.

I used to think like Russell, great engine in a Dodge. But the Dmax lacks the Cummins character. Which in some ways is a good thing. :)

Archived