IGNORED

International Travel with Computer/Camera

Bob Palin

I'm headed to England in August for the first time in a few years. I want to take my laptop and my SLR with all its lenses etc. Is there any reason why I shouldn't carry on one of those combined computer/camera backpacks? I'm traveling first & business class so presumably there won't be a problem on the plane but what about at security? Does anybody have a recommendation for a backpack?

edit: laptop is 17" diagonal.

Those work fine, Bob. I like the models from LowePro and InCase. One thing you might prepare for mentally is a random search of your laptop when you come back into the US, which means they confiscate it for two weeks. But it's still better to carry it on than get it stolen from your luggage. Well, and destroyed in the process.

You going to tip the flight attendants? :)

Thanks for the warning, I have never heard of confiscated laptops before, that sucks! I have lost one before due to checking it so I won't do that again. (A Sharp 100, how long ago was that!)

And don't forget to register everything that has a serial # with customs before you leave, so they won't think you bought it overseas, not that the dollar is worth anything. :dopeslap:

ShovelStrokeEd

Carry proof of purchase with you for all serialized items. No need to register anything.

I wouldn't worry overmuch about the laptop being confiscated traveling back and forth from England. The orient or the mid-east might make you a target but again, unlikely.

I have the Lowepro backpack but, it won't hold my laptop, a 15" Toshiba. Does hold my Nikon D40 + 4 lenses and accouterments. Leave the canned air at home and take a big blower bulb instead.

I've carried various cameras and computers back and forward to England, Germany and Taiwan (even Canada!) many times over the last 30 years and never been hassled about receipts, but I'll print them anyway since I have them.

bakerzdosen

Yeah, I've hit 20 different countries outside the USA in the past 8 years with both my laptop and a camera and I've never had anyone ask me for a receipt. That includes 3 in Asia, though those were shortly before 9/11.

I also rarely check luggage.

I also rarely check luggage.
That's because you don't have to take boxes of Ziploc freezer bags to your octogenarian relatives... :eek:

Bob, there is a really great selection at near internet prices at the Inkleys on State street just south of 2100 south in SLC if you can come up and take a look. I was just looking at them last week. Your welcome to our spare room if you are in town.

Jan

That's because you don't have to take boxes of Ziploc freezer bags to your octogenarian relatives...

Here I was, thinking that there must be some inside joke I was missing. Guess not.

Do they have to travel in boxes?

Francois_Dumas

Yup, Ziplocs is what we brought back from the States too..... one of the few things that can't be had here.

Back on topic: never had any problems with notebooks, camera's, PDA's and/or phones traveling back and forth to the US, nor inside Europe. I used to carry the sales receipt of my notebook with me, but more since it wasn't mine (company notebook) than for any other reason.

I had my own with me last September again too (can't travel without it I'm afraid) and nobody even looked, except in Amsterdam where I had to put the notebook separately through the scanner before putting it back in its bag.

As for carrying.. I have a large Targus case for the notebook and a small special rucksack for the SLR (not a Lowepro, too expensive).

Do they have to travel in boxes?
Probably not, but you know what those 80+'ers are like, they're fussy. I didn't know the Ziploc shortage had been "officially" recognised.
Lets_Play_Two
I'm headed to England in August for the first time in a few years. I want to take my laptop and my SLR with all its lenses etc. Is there any reason why I shouldn't carry on one of those combined computer/camera backpacks? I'm traveling first & business class so presumably there won't be a problem on the plane but what about at security? Does anybody have a recommendation for a backpack?

edit: laptop is 17" diagonal.

Take a look at www.thinktankphoto.com lots of good products.

Bob,

I have a MacBook and love this bag... it is great and would be big enough for the a digital SLR as well. The inner pocket is suede and protects the laptop just great... will fit a 17 Mac Book Pro as well. Check it out here:

http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/nylon-backpack-cl55034

Chris

Thanks, I really want something designed for cameras that will also carry a laptop rather than the other way round, I'll have the SLR and 4 lenses plus chargers etc.

Besides - you mentioned M*c so that eliminates it :clap:

Thanks, I really want something designed for cameras that will also carry a laptop rather than the other way round, I'll have the SLR and 4 lenses plus chargers etc.

Besides - you mentioned M*c so that eliminates it :clap:

Mark had a backpack bag that carried both and it worked fine for carrying stuff.

He didn't like it well for anything but carrying stuff because he had to dig for stuff more than he likes to do just to take a shot. He also didn't like that he had to take it off in order to do anything; however, I think that there are some out there that are designed so that you can get your camera without unslinging the whole thing. If I recall correctly, his backpack bag was a Lowepro. Nothing wrong with the bag, it just didn't fit his taste.

He recently got a Think Tank roller bag that will hold everything he carries on trips:

*Digital camera body with battery grip.

*15-in laptop (brand name redacted to spare Killer's sensibilities) with power cord. He doesn't carry any peripherals, though.

*5 lenses, ranging from a 10-20mm wide angle to a 75-300mm zoom.

*Flash unit.

*Filters, lens hoods, memory cards, chargers, assorted other 'stuff.'

*Gorilla pod.

*iPod with noise canceling headphones.

*A book or magazine or three to read on the plane.

*Prescriptions and a few small things he doesn't like to check.

*It has a place to secure his tripod or his monopod although he hasn't tried carrying either one through carry-on security-I would think that might be a problem.

And it all fits in an overhead bin easily (sans tripod and monopod), as long as he gets on the plane early enough that the overhead areas aren't full. Honestly, it looks like it would fit under the seat, but Mark prefers to have the legroom and hasn't had to try that out yet. It would be a snug fit if it did work.

It would still not be a great bag for everyday shooting, as it carries more than he would want, but it works very nice for traveling and then he carries a sling bag for day trips.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

I find it interesting that people are actually being stopped at customs. Heck, they hardly even looked at me coming in the door and didn't even give my bags a cursory looksy on the exterior. Makes me wish I had bought those 5 boxes of Cohibas.

I ended up with a LowePro* Computrekker Plus AW - it arrived today - it's massive! I'm sure they won't hassle me on my next flight as it's First and Business class but I can see some questions on a cattle class domestic flight. It does have a lot of features, I think I'll probably lose things in it, the mice will probably set up house and and travel with me.

*LowePro recommended by a Mensa member...

It does have a lot of features, I think I'll probably lose things in it, the mice will probably set up house and and travel with me.

Cool-and you won't have to travel alone!

:>

motoguy128

Been to France 3 times for business and never had any issues bringing my laptop or camera. It's rare they even ask me any questions.

Archived