IGNORED

Computer registry cleaner????

Couchrocket

Couchrocket

Hi,

What "exactly" is a registry cleaner, when should someone consider using one, and what is a good one to use for someone who is clueless?

Thanks to all you computer savvy folk who might offer advice.

Aluminum_Butt

Really the only time it makes sense is when you perceive your computer to be significantly slower than it was at some point, AND over the life of the computer you've installed and uninstalled A LOT of software. A registry cleaner MAY help to remove things that aren't really needed.

I personally belong to the camp that believes there is little value in cleaning the registry with regularity. I have used them in the past, but to solve specific problems.

If you perceive your computer to be slow, registry cleaning is not the right place to start IMHO. Instead, it would be time to pull out some spyware and malware removal tools.

Can I ask...what led you to ask this question?

Couchrocket

Can I ask...what led you to ask this question?

My system seems to have slowed down noticeably. My normal "delete temp INTERNET / history" files and defrag didn't help much. I've been using this machine for several years and thought a registry clean might help, based on my very sketchy knowledge of same.

This from a computer knowledge semi-cypher.......But you didn't mention unpluging your DVD modem for a few minutes.....Been told it gets bogged down with data too....

OK......Somebody set me straight :grin:.....

Phil........Redbrick

bakerzdosen

Honestly, I've just found that it's easier to re-install Windows. Typically, after a year or two, Windows just gets slow for me. Others argue to the contrary, and that's fine. However, no one has been able to show me a faster way to speed up XP than just re-installing it and my apps.

Archived