IGNORED

Gmail interaction w/Firefox & XP

Pilgrim

Well, I know it's not Gates' fault (well, probably not - but why not blame him?), but I can't figure out how to fix this.

On line, looking at an email address, clicking it to bring up the email client to prepare a message. In response I get a choice between Windows email and Yahoo! email. I don't get Gmail as an option to send a message.

I suppose it's because the email stuff is all on Google's servers, but I don't know enough about this stuff to take it for granted.

Anybody know how to do what I want - bring up Gmail when I click an email address?

Pilgrim

ShovelStrokeEd

from the help section on my G-mail account.

Making Gmail your default mail application

You can designate Gmail as your default mailto handler. This means that when you click on any hyperlinked email address, a Gmail compose window will open so you can send a message to that address from Gmail.

To do so in Windows:

1. Download the Gmail Notifier.

2. Right-click the Notifier icon in your system tray, and select Options.

3. Check the box next to Use Gmail for internet mailto: links.

4. Click OK.

If you decide later that you don't want to use Gmail as your default email application, simply uncheck the box.

I found this by logging onto Gmail, click on the settings and then click the accounts tab. In the first section, click Learn More and then scroll to the bottom of the page. You'll find the link to make Gmail your default "mailto" handler. Click there and you'll find the above text with a link for downloading the notifier.

Thanks, Ed. I kept trying to find somewhere in Windows or Gmail to do exactly that.

I've been using Gmail for about six months and like it a lot, but I've not stumbled across the "Gmail notifier". Gotta go look.

I presume you've installed the new Firefox update. Boy, did it speed things up for me.

Kent

ShovelStrokeEd

Yeah, I have the new update. A bit faster on hotel wireless for sure. About the same or a little faster on my Verizon data dongle. Locks up when downloading attachments from my Yahoo mail sometimes. In all, a nice package.

Archived