IGNORED

Any Recommendations-- Moving PC Files to MacBook?

Mike

After years of drinking the Microsoft Kool-Aid, I'm switching back to Mac for my home computer. My shiny new MacBook just arrived yesterday, so I now to undertake the task of migrating files to the Mac.

I'm going to be moving files from two different PCs onto the Mac. I was intrigued by the Move2Mac software from Detto that allows you to migrate PC files to the Mac through pretty simply, but the reviews I've read give that software less than glowing reviews. Admittedly, some of the reviews are a few years old, but I'm a little skeptical.

Have you had recent experience with Mac2Book? Do you recommend it, or not?

If I don't use that sort of approach, I'll likely transfer the files by using a flash drive or the hard drive that has been my the backup for my primary PC.

As someone who only has enough computer knowledge constitute a danger to myself, I would appreciate any expert guidance. I know it should be a fairly simple task, but I really don't want to mess this up. Thanks in advance! :wave:

ShovelStrokeEd

You could just pick up a hub and network the machines, then transfer any files you want. So long as the software on the Mac is compatible with the files, you should have no problems.

Open Office is a wonderful thing for documentation type files and it is Free!

I'm not so sure about music and video but it shouldn't be too difficult with MP3's and MPEG's.

The full scoop is here: http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/

If you're just looking to migrate documents, then the flash-drive will work fine. If you you want to migrate everything (mail, internet settings, and so on) then it's a bit more complicated.

However, since you appear to have an Apple store nearby, I have heard that they'll help you do it in-store for free. (I could be wrong - check with your local store for details...)

Chicago Apple store: http://www.apple.com/retail/northmichiganavenue/

Oh, yeah - and welcome to the bright side.

(Macaholic since '84...)

Apple lays out the options here. No need for a "hub" these days, as all modern Macs have MDI-X and can handle direct connections.

Looks like Move2Mac is the sort of thing you want if you want to preserve your bookmarks, mail settings, etc. If you're well entrenched, that may be worth a consideration. I've never used it myself. (I moved from Linux full-time to the Mac 8 years ago.)

Thanks for all the info. I'm not too concerned about e-mail settings, bookmarks, etc. For the most part, I'm going to be moving photos, correspondence, etc.

The one thing that has me most corn-fused, however, is transferring my Outlook contacts into the Mac's address book. That's something that could be done using Mac2Book, but since I'm not concerned about transferring my other settings, I'd prefer to avoid that. Nonetheless, as I free acknowledge, I am a compudunce and need a fairly doofus-proof way to do this. My not-so-tech-savvy thinking is that I'll just convert my contacts to v-cards, then copy them to a disk and import them into the Mac. Does that make sense?

James Clark

However, since you appear to have an Apple store nearby, I have heard that they'll help you do it in-store for free. (I could be wrong - check with your local store for details...)

Overheard at the local Apple Store:

"We couldn't test your Macbook because our printer isn't working."

Does the local Bureau of Standards administer periodic IQ tests to the staff at the Genius Bar?

Archived