IGNORED

Chirping Alt Belt

rrrich

Changed the alternator belt about 3,000 miles back. Tried the torque method of tensioning and thought it was waaay too loose so tightened using the "90 degree twist" method.

Now, she's "chirping" when I blip the throttle, but only during the first couple seconds after start-up. eek.gif Otherwise, no probs.

Do I have to re-tension the lil beastie? She's soo easy to access.

confused.gif

DavidEBSmith

Service bulletin 2747 says (illiterately)

Slight squeaking may be heard for a short time after a cold start when temperature is below 50°F. The belt should reach it’s correct operating tension soon after the start up. The belt only needs retentioned if the slight squeaking does not stop after warm up.

Well it's not quite right, but it's no big deal either. If the belt is glaze a bit re-tensioning it won't fix it anyway. I'd say live with it until it gets annoying to the point where your incentived to put a new one in.

What mileage should these be changed? I've just passed 30,000 on March 04 1150RT, and have a decent lenght trip planned in a month or two.

I think I heard about 20,000 is the limit on these. I would change it before your long trip because it is a messy job along side of the road and your RT won't run very long without it! smirk.gif

Shawnee Bill
What mileage should these be changed? I've just passed 30,000 on March 04 1150RT, and have a decent lenght trip planned in a month or two.

I probably shouldn't admit this, but maybe some others will 'fess up also.

I have been carrying a spare in my tank bag for over 20,000 miles now, I am going to put it on some day.

The original is now at 52,000 miles and looks good. I take off the cover and check it about every 6,000 miles. blush.gif

I'll probably change it before I take another ride very far from home.

I'm going to have the 30,000 service done soon so I'll get them to do that as well. George gave me a spare when he was getting rid of his 1100 for a1200 but I don't know if 1150 and 1100 are the same?

I have been carrying a spare in my tank bag for over 20,000 miles now, I am going to put it on some day.

Then you'll ruin it for the rest of us Bill. See, the spare parts that you carry on the bike most likely won't fail. It's the other parts that will poop the bed miles from home... grin:

Clive Liddell

Bill,

Yes, I also have a spare belt in a plastic bag somewhere. The belts on my bikes both look like new (R at ~70000km and RT at ~60000km).

I also have a spare sight glass in the same bag and doubt I'll ever need it smile.gif

I changed mine at 36,000 miles jes cause I'm anal and I had the cover off anyway. I keep the old (perfect) looking one as a spare in case I ever get bored on the road and wanna take pictures of myself doing roadside surgury. cool.gif

PS: Thanks for the tech bulletin.

Joe Frickin' Friday
I changed mine at 36,000 miles jes cause I'm anal and I had the cover off anyway. I keep the old (perfect) looking one as a spare in case I ever get bored on the road and wanna take pictures of myself doing roadside surgury. cool.gif

It's been suggested before that instead of keeping an old, ready-to-break one as a spare, it makes more sense to keep a fresh one as a spare instead. Why? Well, if you install an old ready-to-break one by the side of the road, then you'll want to change it again (for a new one) as soon as you get a chance. Better to just put a new one in by the side of the road and be done with it.

I just changed my original equipment belt at 60k miles... the old one was obviously well used but still in decent shape, I wouldn't be surprised if it would have made it to 100k. I'm not suggesting that of course but why are people changing them at such short intervals? Are these things breaking right and left or something?

Joe Frickin' Friday
I just changed my original equipment belt at 60k miles... the old one was obviously well used but still in decent shape, I wouldn't be surprised if it would have made it to 100k. I'm not suggesting that of course but why are people changing them at such short intervals? Are these things breaking right and left or something?

Probably 99% of belts will make it to the specified 36K mile interval. Maybe 50% could make it to 60K, if people left them in. But I bet the other 50% of riders would not be happy about changing their broken belts by the side of the road. crazy.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

At 61K I was starting to get some indications of a charging problem. When I get the GS back, I'll need to change my belt. Never a squeak of squeal bit I'll bet there is not much left.

Maybe 50% could make it to 60K

I think the number that would make it to 60k is considerably higher than 50%... but I take your point.

There were a number of belt failures in the 20-30K mile age range during last year's iron butt. Speculation was that high speeds, high loads of auxiliary lighting, and near around the clock running were factors. That said, changing at 25-30K may be prudent.

Shawnee Bill

Then you'll ruin it for the rest of us Bill. See, the spare parts that you carry on the bike most likely won't fail. It's the other parts that will poop the bed miles from home... grin:

Ok, let me reword that a little, I'm "fix'n to" change that belt grin.gif

• 1 month later...
Shawnee Bill

Today I decided to check the belt, I was going to adjust the valves anyway.

It was begining to loose the inside rows of "V's" so I changed it.

Only had 53,000 miles in 10 years, probably about time?

That's 5600 miles in 8 years, the rest in the last two years grin.gif

Put the old one in the tank bag just in case blush.gif

The service schedule, for an 04 RT, anyhow states that the belt needs to be re-adjusted/tighted after the first 6000 miles of use, probably due to some stretching and settling in of a new belt. I had this chirping/sqealing issue and after I re-torqued it, no more noise.

drmrbooy,

Exactly right you are and I'm jes waiting till I need to get in there for other stuff to re-adjust.

Thx.

Archived