IGNORED

Yosemite -- 500 mile day

ian408

In another thread, Jerry Mather asked about a get together in Yosemite.

Since I couldn't commit, I asked him to keep me in the loop. Which he did.

But it wasn't to happen frown.gif

Needing three hours to get there, I took off around nine for the park. I had

to make sure the truck was running before I left hence the late start.

Fast forward to Yosemite. I arrived at the entrance station just about noon

and stopped on the way for a couple of photos...in the distance, you can just

make out Bridalveil Falls.

24913430-M.jpg

Some of the road construction isn't complete making valley traffic worse than

Valley Traffic smile.gif

24913432-M.jpg

Worried I'd miss the boys, it took nearly a half hour to go less than five

miles to the Ahwahnee.

24913436-M.jpg

I was late and no one was around. So, walked the grounds and tried to imagine

what it was like back when Gilbert Stanely Underwood designed this 150,000sf

lodge. In case you were wondering, Ahwahnee means "deep, grassy meadow" which

the hotel is situated in. I think Jerry had it right when he said enjoy a

drink on the patio.

It was getting towards two pm and I needed to start making tracks. I wanted

to visit Glacier Point before I left. Back the traffic jam and out 41 to

Glacier Point.

Here, the last remnants of winter still hold on. Including the slight chill

as I pass larger accumulations of snow.

24913440-M.jpg

This is my feeble attempt at the "on-bike" shot. Headed down the road to

Glacier Point.

24913426-M.jpg

Glacier Point was the site of one of the National Park's nicest hotels.

It burned to the ground and wasn't rebuilt.

Here's what you would have had to look at in the morning.

24930094-M.jpg

Glacier Point offers one of the nicest views of the water falls. To the right,

Nevada Falls and to the center, Vernal Falls.

24930097-M.jpg

The view of the Ahwahnee from Glacier puts the size of the park in perspective.

24930096-M.jpg

The mighty GS was my ride of choice today and I should give it props for the

fine ride!

24913445-M.jpg

I exited the park and headed over to Hwy 49 for some fun in the twisties.

Should have paid more attention to the clock for the ride WEST was into the

setting sun. You can see the twists and even where the road goes high above

the lake.

24913449-M.jpg

That's about it. No shots on the way as I was making time and didn't arrive

home until nearly ten pm. What a day!

Jerry, I think I might have seen you guys towards Glacier Point

(two fifteen-ish). Maybe next time?

Ian

JerryMather

Ian-

The only way you could have seen me was in Kings Cyn. confused.gif

I hit a deer on Sat. and was stuck there until I got the RT towed down the hill on Sunday. While I was waiting, Tool and Philly were passing by the park without knowing that I really needed their help. If I could have started the dam thing I would have been able to enjoy what Yosemite has to offer too.

I'm glad you were able to make it up there and sorry you missed the boys on their adventure.

I'll be in your neck of the woods at Alice's next month for a bite to eat, come join us like you did last time Adam and I were up there.

I'll be on the Ducati this time. tongue.gif

Francois_Dumas

Great photos Ian! Damn... I am running out of note paper..... you know, for my 'places-to-visit' list smirk.gif

Ian-

The only way you could have seen me was in Kings Cyn. confused.gif

I hit a deer on Sat. ...

Sorry to hear that. I hope you're ok.

Lemme know when you're going to be here. Love to grab a bite

at Alice's.

Ian

Holy Moly, Jerry! The plan sure didn't turn out as... planned. Dang.

I don't know what is up with Nextel, but I didn't get any voice-mail until last night, when I got home! blush.gif FWIW, I had to delay my departure Saturday morning, and so we didn't get as far as we'd hoped; we spent Saturday night in Visalia. tongue.gif

Ian, that was possibly Flash and I that you saw on the road near Glacier Point. After motelling in Visalia instead of camping in King's Canyon, we got to the park later than planned, too late to meet at the Ahwahnee. Since we were entering from the south on 41, we headed to Glacier Point first. As usual, Ian - your photos rock! thumbsup.gif

It was late afternoon by the time we got to the Valley floor, so we went about trying to score a campsite... no easy task without a reservation, but we got lucky and snagged the next-to-last site after cancellations were handed out! blush.gif The rest of our stay was great, but unfortunately we didn't meet up as planned. Even more unfortunate for Jerry, since he could have used some HELP. Sorry, Bro. frown.gif

For those of you who want to visit Yosemite, you would be well-served to avoid weekends. It is still a wonderful, magical place, but packed until late in the day Sunday afternoon. We still had a blast, but had to do some traffic work-arounds. King's Canyon, on the other hand, doesn't get packed like the more known Yosemite. It is MOST WORTHY of your time to ride the dead-end road, but be sure to get gas - it is scarce once you head east into the canyon!

About 1/2 way down (approx 15 miles) there is a place called King's Canyon Lodge that "has gas." WHEN the place is open, gas is dispensed - by the proprietor only, NO self-service - from the "Oldest Dual Gravity Feed Pumps in Existence" (Photo to follow) and at a bit of a premium! blush.gif

But don't miss KC. Or Yosemite!

thumbsup.gif

Glad you guys made the park. I noticed the campground up on Glacier Point Road

was closed. Do you suppose that is permenant?

Ian

Thanks for the ride report and photographs.

My wife and I travelled through Yosemite last year. Your report brought back some great memories. smile.gifsmile.gif

Glad you guys made the park. I noticed the campground up on Glacier Point Road

was closed. Do you suppose that is permenant?

Ian

Nope - seasonal. Did you see the SNOW stacked on the access road?? I think those upper campgrounds - including the ones off Tioga Pass Road - usually open around the end of June. The rangers told us that they may open even later this year.

Because of the unpredictable weather conditions, those sites - when open - are first-come-first-served. We scored spots down in the Valley, after some cancellations came in.

I'm bummed we didn't stop and/or flag you down. But I was surprised at the number of RT's, GS's etc we saw onthe road! Speaking of which - Ian, I totally missed the fact that you had a GS now! clap.gif

About 1/2 way down (approx 15 miles) there is a place called King's Canyon Lodge that "has gas." WHEN the place is open, gas is dispensed - by the proprietor only, NO self-service - from the "Oldest Dual Gravity Feed Pumps in Existence" (Photo to follow)

I had to fill up there last year. The proprietor was surly at best, would definitely NOT let me pump the gas, and huffed when I wanted to charge it. Also would not just sell me 2-3 gallons; I had to fill it up. Expensive and not very accurately measured either, by the way. Here are two photos I took of the place. In the second one, you may be able to see the price - $3.20/gal. (not sure how the reduced size photo will do if you try to blow it up)

2004082601140fv.jpg

2004082601154oj.jpg

But the ride down into Kings Canyon is really nice. Just watch out for cars coming around the corners in your lane.

Edited to cut size of pictures so (hopefully) you won't have to scroll horizontally (a pet peeve of mine)

Darn it. Now there is another place to choose from next summer clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Thanks for the great pics and the report. I always enjoy someone else's vacations.

I'm bummed we didn't stop and/or flag you down. But I was surprised at the number of RT's, GS's etc we saw onthe road! Speaking of which - Ian, I totally missed the fact that you had a GS now! clap.gif

Had it for a while, I don't ride it often as evidenced by the low miles :D

Ian

Archived