IGNORED

Music, sweet music

Firefight911

Firefight911

One nice side effect with my ankle injury is that I have taken up to listening to some music again.

I really have no specific genre that I prefer, I prefer it all. That being said, I grew up in Michigan so there will always be a draw to Bob Seger type stuff. I also have a real liking to some of the Southern Rock classics. Lynrd, Boz Scaggs, ZZ, Little Feat, you name it.

Something about the new Kid rock song really stirs some emotion of my growing up in Michigan. Good blend of the old with the new -

(PG-13 video due to bikini clad women)

Some great alternatives in Manheim Steamroller, George Winston, Mel Torme (shut up Danny!), Neil Diamond, Frank Sinatra, etc.

So, help me out and point me to some of your faves, regardless of the genre. I'd like to listen to some old, new, different stuff.

These are on my "If I'm stranded on a desert island, I better have these" list:

Progressive Bluegrass: "Telluride Sessions" by Strength in Numbers; "Skip, Hop & Wobble" by Jerry Douglas, Russ Barenberg & Edgar Meyer; "Best Kept Secret" by Jerry Douglas; "Nashville" (but I HATE the vocal tracks on this) and "The Willies" by Bill Frisell

Bluegrassical (Bluegrass & classical fusion): "Perpetual Motion" by Bela Fleck; "Uncommon Ritual" by Edgar Meyer, Bela Fleck & Mike Marshall; "Appalachia Waltz" by Yo-Yo Ma, Mark O'Connor and Edgar Meyer; "Music for Two" by Bela Fleck & Edgar Meyer

Jazz: "Like Minds" by Chick Corea, Gary Burton, Pat Metheny, Roy Haynes & Dave Holland; "Kind of Blue" by Miles Davis; "Standard Time, Volume 1" by Wynton Marsalis; "Steppin' Out" by Diana Krall

Everything else: "From the Cradle" and "Just One Night" by Eric Clapton; "Dire Straits" by Dire Straits; "Ten Summoner's Tales" by Sting; "In Step" and "Couldn't Stand the Weather" by Stevie Ray Vaughan; "Pontiac," and "Live in Texas" by Lyle Lovett; "Feels Like Home" by Norah Jones; "Hearts in Armor" by Trisha Yearwood; "Greatest Hits" by Electric Light Orchestra.

Mel Torme (shut up Danny!), Neil Diamond....

You tell me to shut up, then in the next breath you mention Neil Diamond? You're such a p-u-t-z. :D

I'll cut you some slack, maybe it's the drugs. At least you didn't bring up the Beach Boys. Or Micheal Jackson. Uh oh. :dopeslap:

Alright, if you want some REAL culture, plug in some Etta James, & some older Ray Charles. Can't go wrong with Louise Armstrong either. One of my favorites that I keep on rotation in the truck is Glenn Miller.

LL keeps Pavarotti on deck in the Mini. Gotta have the top down so as to let his voice soar, though. :thumbsup:

Man, sure wish the toughest decision of the day was what to crank on the stereo whilst I layed on my arse. :/

ShovelStrokeEd

Some days it is Fogelberg, some it is Grace Slick, some Hot Tuna is always good, Big Brother and the Holding Company showcase Janice at her very best.

Rigoletto can make me cry as can the power of Carmen or the 1812 Festival Overture.

Flat and Scruggs when I want to feel happy. Arlo Guthrie when he sings his father's stuff and some of his own. Tom Paxton, Joni Mitchell, and pretty much any classic or contemporary folk music. I love the stuff coming out of Nova Scotia as well.

Aw hell, music, well played or sung, doesn't much matter.

Paul_Burkett

I like Bruce Hornsby, Queen, Don Henleys greatest hits, Jackson Brown, Big Head Todd and the Monsters, Sara McLachlan, Steely Dan, Van Morrison, and of course....The Beatles.

Firefight911
No one has mentioned classics from Chinese Opera or recordings of Whale songs..... :)

No KC & The Sunshine Band, The Partridge Family, or Hanson either.

Let's keep it that way!!!!

Some great stuff. Thanks!!! Keep it coming.

Let us not forget Frampton Comes Alive, Jackson Browne's Running On Empty, Robin Trower, Kenny Wayne Shephard, Bonnie Raitt or Lyle Lovett. If you haven't tried Lyle, give him a listen. Oh yeah, Queen.

Firefight911
Phil,

Probably not your style but

one of my favorites..

Right down it, Billy!!! Big fan of Toby Keith and many other country singers. Kenny Chesney sits way up there on the fave list.

Firefight911
Let us not forget Frampton Comes Alive, Jackson Browne's Running On Empty, Robin Trower, Kenny Wayne Shephard, Bonnie Raitt or Lyle Lovett. If you haven't tried Lyle, give him a listen. Oh yeah, Queen.

Forgot all about Jackson Browne and Bonnie Raitt. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Firefight911
Sent you an email!

There's some great stuff on there!!! Thanks.

Here's one to get your blood pumping and foot tapping (my left foot) a bit

Duffy

The video right after that is also Duffy - Warwick Avenue. Love that voice!!!!!!!

bakerzdosen

Don't forget

(OK, so not exactly the music your talking about per se, but it'll give you a good laugh.)

More on topic, one of my favorite tests of a stereo's soundstage has always been Hendrix's Still Raining, Still Dreaming.

PhillyFlash

Allman Brothers Band

Doobies

Rolling Stones

Dylan

The Doors

Derek and the Dominoes

If you like the old standards, then don't forget:

Ella Fitzgerald

Billie Holiday

(and of course, Sinatra; worth mentioning again, as there was/is no one like him when he was at his best)

And lets not forget Stevie Ray Vaughn & Double Trouble...

Just about anything Alison Krauss, Emmylou Harris, and the great Jerry Douglass..

Clapton, Yes, Humble Pie...

And for some classical talent, Jerry Murad and the Harmonicats.

:Cool:

PhillyFlash
Boz Scaggs

Well, since you mention Boz, take a listen to this one from 1969 with some little known session guitarist who was about to hit it big with his own band. His name was Duane Allman.

Somebody loan me a dime

You may not want to go this far out into the fringe, But I enjoy NRBQ (New Rythm and Blues Quartet) NRBQ

Dan Hicks and his Hot Licks Dan Hicks and

Keb Mo Keb Mo .

Also Ray Davies and the Kinks or Meatloaf for basic Rock and Roll

tRY tHESE :

Soulive

Raul Midon

Albert Cummings

Hamilton Loomis

Sons of Champlain

Tower of Power

Scott Holt

Chris Duarte

Tommy Castro

The Meters (The Funky Meters)

For those long, lonely days when Jamie's out, there's always Manudo. lol8.gif

Really, Steely Dan & The Doors are two of my all time faves.

How about Carly Simon? I know you know the words to "You're so Vain". :grin:

Nobody's mentioned ZZ Top, either. Or Boston, always great listening there. Any time they come on the radio, I'm testing the limits of window glass. :Cool:

Don't spend all your insurance money on CD's. :dopeslap:

If you like the old standards, then don't forget:

Ella Fitzgerald

Billie Holiday

I've been in a jazz / R&B vocals mood lately after not listening for a while. Abbey Lincoln, Dinah Washington, Betty Carter, Etta James, and the above. Superb.

Well I'm an old fart from the 60's and 70's school of rock, I guess.

So all that stuff is on the iPod, but lately I have an Amy Belle itch that isn't going away!:

Amy Belle MySpace Page

She was singing w/Rod Stewart @ his Royal Albert Hall Performance...kicked *ss for a talented little girl from Glasgow.

The bONEMAN pulls out Tommy Castro... Nice.

"On the second day, the blues gave birth to rock and roll..."

Suggest you folks check some old blues out...You may be surprised.

MB>

John Prine, Mac Wiseman

Todd Snider

Larry Carlton - Sapphire Blue

Albert Collins

Dr. Hector and The Groove Injectors

I guess I'll chime in as well:

A little Ella Fitzgerald or Count Baise. Maybe a some Duke Ellington or Glenn Miller

For other times, gotta give Allison Krauss with and w/o Union Station a listen and some old Dolly or Hank Sr. with a sprinkle of Patsy....Of course you can't leave out Brad Paisley or Clint Black maybe some Keith Urban. Dang, almost forgot David Frizzell & Shelly West.

Then you gotta go over to the America, Little River Band, Jim Croche or James Taylor

Of course there's also The Church, Toad The Wet Sprocket or Ice House. And always the old reliables like Floyd and Zeppelin....

I wonder what I left out???

Oh and Danny, why you holding out on us..... I understand that WHAM! was one of your favorites!

Archived