IGNORED

routes from Klamath Falls, to John Day

randy

On Monday July 7 Ryan, myself and Chris K are leaving Klamath Falls and riding to John Day.

Any should not miss roads? Overall route suggestions. Ryan's limit is about 300 miles per day, but we still want to ride as many of the good roads as possible.

Any suggestions are welcome

randy,

With a 300 mile limit for the ducatisti, you have 2 options. [My youngest son rides a 748 and lusts for a 998]

More scenic--and really remote--is 140 to Lakeview, then up 395. Lots of sweepers. The Albert Rim on 395 north of Lakeview is a geologic feature, though you must leave the highway for a while to see it. The last 50 miles or so before Burns is tiresome. However 395 from Burns north to John Day is really varied. Nice roads and views. Last 15 miles into John Day is downhill twisties and sweepers

The other option is up 97 and then east on 126 from Redmond. While I love living in Central Oregon, 97 is a long boring straightaway with lots of trucks and vegetation ranging from spindley lodgepole to cutover lodgepole.

In the future, when the duc guy gets a serious tourer, the ride up around Crater Lake can be combined with the Cascades Lakes Highway into Bend. Slower roads and longer route but worth it.

Good Luck

randy,

With a 300 mile limit for the ducatisti, you have 2 options. [My youngest son rides a 748 and lusts for a 998]

More scenic--and really remote--is 140 to Lakeview, then up 395. Lots of sweepers. The Albert Rim on 395 north of Lakeview is a geologic feature, though you must leave the highway for a while to see it. The last 50 miles or so before Burns is tiresome. However 395 from Burns north to John Day is really varied. Nice roads and views. Last 15 miles into John Day is downhill twisties and sweepers

Good Luck

I concur Bill. In fact this will be the route we will take as well. In fact we go this way often. If anyone has a GS, its fun to take a side trip over to the Hart Mtn. antelope refuge.

thanks for the route. looks nice, yea, Ryan is young, foolish, and left over money from Marine life, so his next bike is a Ducati 848. He use to have a BMW R1100S. I keep telling him to go back to that bike, in my opinion, one of the best all around bikes, from any manufacture. But he really wants the 848, and you are only young once, and he did spend 4 years in twenty nine palms, and two full tours of Iraq, so I guess he is due some fun time. But 110 +- mile limit really slows Chris K and me down. Of course a few extra rest stops for old guys like us, is not all bad.

let's say we were willing to go say 400 or even a little more, then what would you recommend?

I'd consider getting the seat re-built.

I think Bills route is about the best you can do with out meandering way out of you way. No matter how you slice it you will go thru Burns. The twenty or so miles from Valley Falls past Lake Abert in truly one of the most incrediable, especially done late evening or early morning.

From Lakeview if you were to ride east to Fields then north along the Catlow Valley to Frenchglen and finally Burns is also very nice however much more distance.

let's say we were willing to go say 400 or even a little more, then what would you recommend?

I rough-guesstimate the 140 to Lakeview and 395 north is about 300-320 miles.

If you follow Bruce H's idea of continuing east on 140 to Denio Junction, and then north on 205 to Fields and Frenchglen, you'll be at around 450 miles to John Day [i think]. The first 30 miles east of Lakeview are wonderful forest sweepers.

After that, 140 really opens up. Advantage: 140 east from Lakeview is beyond remote; it is the "back of beyond," to quote Ed Abbey. Besides lots of space and light, there are loooong straights with excellent views. I won't mention speed, but my ST1300 was at 6200-6400 rpm in top gear for 10-15 minutes at a time. Several times. Once with a Volvo following behind me as if I were his windbreak or early warning system.

Disadvantage 1: antelope and wild burros sometimes near side of road. Disadvantage 2: get gas whenever you can, especially when burning it faster. A possible disadvantage 3 is Nevada Highway patrol. I never saw one, but then again that's how they getcha' :/

thanks, I think we are doing Klamath falls, to crater lake, back to Klamath falls, 140 to 395 to John Day. if we are tired or want to get in early to John Day, we can skip the early morning run to crater lake. thanks for all the suggestions.

Archived