IGNORED

Looking for advice on a bike issue...

Jacqueline

I would like your input...

My bike is a 2006 F650GS; it just turned 2 years old, and now has 55k miles on it… which I put on it.

It uses regular gas, 90% of the time purchased from the same station, has been regularly serviced, only issues have been minor… broke frame bolt, new shifter, several chains and sprockets, light bulbs in the instrument panel…those types of things.

Once last week, once the week before, and three times today, when I’m on the throttle (first time in a corner, second time coming out of a stop, today just tooling down the road) the bike seems to lose power (like it isn’t getting gas) than it surges and at the same time the tachometer goes wild… it red lines (not really, the bike does not lose power but the needle is ALL the way as far as it will go) at 40 or 50 miles per hour. When the bike is idle; sitting at a red light, the tachometer registers 3k… but the engine sounds normal. I have found that when I turn the bike off the tachometer will re-set itself and work fine.

At first I thought the tachometer was going bad, but I now feel that the tachometer acting screwy is a result of some other problem.

Only thing I have changed in the past two and a half weeks is I have the Jesse bags off (waiting on new mounting brackets)...Gas mileage is now (and normally) 70 miles per gallon. A month ago on my way to Torrey I attempted an Iron Butt (fell short by 20 miles… that’s another story). Rode the bike hard; was getting only 40 miles to the gallon, bike ran for 980 miles pretty much none stop, from hot temps (in the dessert) to cold temps (down to 31 in the mountains).

Thank you so much for your thoughts.

That is a good place to start.

Also possible: bad battery, bad cable, bad electrical component of some sort.

If the cables are not loose and the battery is the original, just replace it. Those miles and the vibration of a single are likely to have caused an internal failure of the battery. It is alot easier to replace it as routine maintenance that be stranded later.

The battery has been replaced... but it might still be an issue. I was having some type of electrical issue that caused me to remove the Star Traxx devise from my bike, back a couple months ago.

Thank you for the advice... it's all helpful.

Poor running on an engine with electronic ignition where there is also strange behavior of the tachometer is frequently caused by a loose electrical connection. If they all seem tight then see if wiggling electrical harnesses, relays, and switches will get the motor to miss. Look closely at anything near the electronic ignition amplifier (control unit, should have cooling fins on it).

Can't help you with the specifics of this engine. I'm only familiar with engines in general.

For sure..... Loose battery terminals from the last time the battery was serviced/replaced. Have seen it many times on the F650 GS/CS bikes. Tach goes nuts and bike runs very erratically. Tighten the terminals with a #3 philips in a 1/4" drive ratchet. They are hard to get to because of the battery terminal lugs BMW chose to use. Very important to keep 'em tight.

• 1 month later...
BeniciaRT_GT

Thanks for the replies folks.

This got worse after I disturbed some things when the chain jumped ( Thread here... ) and damaged the bike a bit. I had to change out the case and swap over the electric parts from the old ones.

This apparently disturbed the gold (see below)in the sensor enough that it began spitting and having fits if I could get it running.

Once I found the sensor was out of limits when I heated it up with a heat gun, I felt confident I'd found my problem.

Final answer was the ignition pickup was going bad intermittently and it was tough to troubleshoot since it wasn't always failing.

At 200+ DOLLARS I wanted to make sure that was the problem.

Today I test road it after I got it all back together and it runs like a champ! It had throttle issues I discovered and I'll post that in another thread...

The offending sensor, which is apparently solid gold inside:

337971283_haCrz-L.jpg

All apart:

337971455_AkyrG-L.jpg

337971712_zhsUv-L.jpg

337971353_tnaNq-L.jpg

And today: Victory!!!

338235866_CFhC9-L.jpg

Richard,

The cost isn't because the sensor is made of gold.

The cost is totally a reflection of wages paid to the highly skilled work force who make the sensor.

T304870A.jpg

BeniciaRT_GT
I was right behind him giving advise. Don't forget to factor that in! :grin:

Looks like you made the sensor according to Tallman... :wave:

Archived