IGNORED

Good News / Bad News from surgeon this morning....

George Brown

George Brown

Had 6-week follow up visit with the surgeon who mended my rotator cuff this morning:

GN#1 - don't have to were sling and spacer any more.

GN#2 - he was pleased with the movement and strength that I already have.

BN#1- PT won't start until next Monday. Then 3 times per week PROM (passive range of motion only). I was hoping that it would start today.

BN#2 - Doesn't want me to do any strength building exercises for 12 more weeks. His previous estimate was 6 weeks from today.

GN#3 - Surgeon felt that our Utah trip at end of August should not be a problem, except perhaps for loading and unloading the bike into the trailer. He didn't think there should be any problem riding by then.

Having said all that I still realize that this whole deal is a relative minor problem in the course of life and that I am really blessed.

I think we are going to scale our trip back to about three weeks with less loading/unloading and more site seeing by Explorer/trailer. Right now we're thinking:

- it will take 3 or 4 days to drive out to the CCR,

- spending 3-4 days at the CCR with day rides,

- then trailer over to the Salt Flats to spend a day watching the BUB Speed Trials,

- after that head southeast through Utah and over to Santa Fe and Taos for a few days with perhaps no riding.

- then head back home visiting some friends and relatives along the way.

Still have plenty of time to firm it up.

My original thinking was to spend a couple nights in Gunnison, a couple nights near the Rocky Mountain NP, then Yellowstone and Glacier and doing day rides in each of those areas. Guess that will happen in different year.

There is already a good thread going on things to do or see in Utah. Will appreciate and suggestions for the Santa Fe and Taos areas or anything in between.

DaveTheAffable
I only see good news: you'll ride again :thumbsup:

+1

They only schedule PT for people who they think are going to continue to improve! All sounds good!

One of my best riding buddies, now departed, came back from a knee surgery that might have side lined him from riding. Do as your PT says and a bit more and you'll be good as new. All you've done is correct a problem . Now to get on with it and enjoy what you like...riding. Heal well and soon! :wave:

Sounds like good news. I was off my bike for 3-4 months after shoulder surgery. The Physical Terrorist is the biggest help in recover, though you won't think so at the time. Mine was nicked name the queen of pain and she constantly reminded me why she had the title.

Alan

Well, it sounds like you're coming along fine. Rotator cuffs are so fussy. They take forever to heal up once repaired but don't heal up if you don't get them repaired. Best thing is to do what the doc says. Don't over do it and re-injure your shoulder. DAMHIK! You may feel like you're all better but that little muscle will still be weak.

Archived