IGNORED

Rob's Most Excellent Adventure...

Crazy_Canuck

Crazy_Canuck

Well this ride tale has not quite started yet, but I will be leaving in a few days and I thought I would post my ride tale as it happens here on this thread. More on that later.

I wanted to give you a brief history about myself and how I ended up to this point in my life. It all started years ago when I lost a good friend who was killed on a motorcycle (street bike), I was in High school at the time and after that event I swore I would never ride a street bike. Over the years I did ride dirt bikes but never ever considered riding a street bike. Time went by; I got married to a California girl moved to California and acquired a brother-in-law. About 2 .5 years ago my brother-in-law came home with a brand new BMW Dakar 650 and wanted me to purchase one, after a lot of goading I caved in. My main intent was to use the Dakar off-road but instead it became my transition bike (to street riding that is). At first I was scared to death riding on the street, I felt naked\unprotected but over time the fear subsided and I started to enjoy it. As I stated earlier I bought the Dakar for the main intent of off-roading but found out that it was a little too heavy for any serious off-road riding I did however find out how fun paved twisties were getting to the dirt!!

A little more history…a couple of years ago I took my family on a 1 month long RV trip to Yellowstone, Glacier, Calgary, Edmonton, Jasper, Banff, Abbotsford and then Grantspass and I absolutely loved it!!! On the trip however I noticed all the motorcycles on the road and I thought to myself “How awesome would that be to do this on a motorcycle”? For those of you who don’t know, I am from Canada, Edmonton Alberta to be exact and after the month long RV trip in 2006 I realized how much I missed my family and friends up in Canada. It was extremely hard for me being gone for all those years.

Well after about month back from our vacation my brother-in-law tells me how he wants to get a used RT and that I should purchase one at the same time with him. I did my research and thought that “yes” the RT could be the right bike for me. Irv Seavers BMW had a few used RT’s so Russ (brother-in-law) and I drove down to check them out, well to make a long story short I took a new 2006 for a test ride and fell in love and I bought one, my brother-in-law on the other hand bought a Harley Road Glide…what the heck????!!!!!! That’s another story.

Ok I have been planning to take this trip for 2 years now and I am taking this trip for a couple of reasons, first as I stated earlier I miss the part of my life I left behind (to marry my sweet wife) so this is a way for me to reconnect with friends and family via some individual quality time. I guess the second reason is…..ok I will just say it! I am going through a midlife crisis! So in essence it is soul searching trip. Sorry for the long and maybe boring dialogue but I find it somewhat therapeutic for myself.

Ok the trip!!!!!!! I will essentially take the same trip with a few different destinations as follows:

1) Yellowstone (Cool things to see, actually they are hot but you catch my drift)

2) Glacier (Road to the Sun…yeah baby!)

3) Calgary (meet with old friend)

4) Edmonton (visit with family and friends)

5) Jasper (just because it is beautiful)

6) Banff (Same reason as above)

7) Abbotsford, BC (visit Best friend whom I grew up with)

8) Ferry to Victoria, BC (Visit with another best friend)

9) Ferry over to Port Angles (meet with Kitsap…I hope)

10) Maybe the Un-Rally

11) Head home

I will be leaving in a few days (this Saturday) and I will try and post every other day or so. You will also be able to track me via SPOT tracker 24\7 (10 min intervals updates) via Google maps which is pretty cool.

Please note that this web site only shows the last 24hrs of data so until I start you will not see anything.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?&glId=0GYGq6jgAxdabP4c3pEaC9GL24HR1oP8I

I hope you will enjoy my adventure.

Thanks

Rob

Great Start to your Ride Tale. We'll be following you on the board here. Might try your spot thingy once or twice, particularly as the Un draws near... got to send suitable encouragement if you are too far away... :D

Have a great ride, take plenty of camera memory cards, and have a good time.

Jan

Rob, if you don't make it to the UN I'm gonna track you down with that gizmo you got mounted on the back of the bike....

see ya there.

Mark.

Crazy_Canuck
Might try your spot thingy once or twice, particularly as the Un draws near...

Good Call Twisties I am going to test it right now.

Thanks

I guess the second reason is…..ok I will just say it! I am going through a midlife crisis!

What in the world is a "midlife crisis"? I have heard that phrase for years now. Is your life really in crisis, or is your life finally settled down where you can take some time for You! :thumbsup:

I think it's GREAT!!!! And I think it's WONDERFUL that you are going to share this life experience (this trip) with us. I'm looking forward to the trip... and I'm sure you won't disappoint us :lurk:.

BeniciaRT_GT

So are going to be able to go on this long trip without these?:

300278802_2j6ii-L.jpg

I hope you have gotten good enough to ride without them!

I'll be waiting by the phone by the way! If you don't make the Un, you sure as heck better stop by our Casa Benicia!!!

Crazy_Canuck

300278802_2j6ii-L.jpg

I'll be waiting by the phone by the way! If you don't make the Un, you sure as heck better stop by our Casa Benicia!!!

Ha ha you funny guy you!! Well since I lent them to you I can't use them anymore. :eek: That way you don't scratch up the "Right side" of your bike. Doh! :grin:

300278802_2j6ii-L.jpg

So, that's what you were hiding behind your riding gear last time I stopped by your place! I thought you were through with those thangs??????????????????

Besides, Richard don't need those. They'd fall off at warp"ed" speeds anyway.

Excellent Adventure!!! However, you're not old enough to have a mid-life crisis yet, gotta be 45 at least!!!

Friend of mine went to Canada, got to the border crossing and was asked " do you have any hand guns?" His reply was " why, do I need one?"

They were not amused.

Have a good one, hope you don't have to sneak back in!!!

Send pics of Banff, still wanna go there sometime.

:wave:

Well after riding with you I can say with some authority you have overcome your fear of street riding. Good on ya! I wish I could make the trip with you. I look forward to the reports on yoour adventure.

Crazy_Canuck

It is 4:30am and I am headed out the door. My destination today is St. George UT. It is supposed to be 107 in Vegas and 108 in St George. Sheesh!! :eek:

Later

Rob

Crazy_Canuck

Day 1

Well I was restless (nervous/excited) today and had gotten on my way fairly early, 5:00am to be exact.

2598539964_af8670991f_o.jpg

My destination for today was St George UT. The trip started warm in Bakersfield cool in Tehachapi (66F) hot through Las Vegas (102F) and hotter the rest of the way (107F). I slabbed it the whole way trying to beat the heat…yeah right!My evaporative vest would be bone dry in about 1.5 to 2hrs (because it was so Dang HOT!) so I had to stop a few times to re-saturate it with water.

2598540142_fbb059824f_o.jpg

Well I made excellent time and reached St. George at 11:00am Pacific time (12:00pm local) that’s 410miles in 6hrs.

I could have gone farther but I had already made my hotel reservation that was none refundable besides I was tired of the heat already and ready for a break. Checked in and got something to eat. I am stuffed and now I feel like a beached whale. The room with my steed outside.

2597709377_fb61e3b588_o.jpg

Later on I hit the hot tub and pool…aghhh refreshing. Uhhh no comments on the legs please. :/

2598643261_47f96704db_o.jpg

I am glad I have got day 1 behind me with no problems. The bike ran great and hope it does so for the rest of the trip.

I found a cool thing that my Spot Tracker web page has; If you "Right" mouse click on one of the messages (on the very left) you have an option to click on "Show altitude Profile".

Check it out at Spot Tracker

Tomorrow West Yellowstone...and the adventure continues...

Crazy_Canuck

Today was a good day. I was able to see Old Faithful and a lot of Thermal features, not to mention a lot of buffalo. It was a nice and relaxing day…sorta. I was tired from covering all that ground in the park today so I took a little nap in the tent. After seeing all those Buffalo I was hungry, so I headed down to a restaurant called Bullwinkles for a nice and Juicy Buffalo burger of course!! After a great dinner I headed over to the Grizzly Discovery Center and really enjoyed watching the Grizzly Bears. I must have watched them for at least an hour.

Here are some pics:

2605346279_68654b4f46_o.jpg

2606176504_a0a0671511_o.jpg

2606176504_a0a0671511_o.jpg

The Tetons taken on the fly

2606176348_3627db7271_o.jpg

Making camp. The spot was nice but there were a lot of dang Mosquitos!!!

2606176900_811739db85_o.jpg

2605346661_abdf9a6b85_o.jpg

2605347411_0ec4ed8650_o.jpg

2606177966_ddfc54fe62_o.jpg

2605347773_63a76b7034_o.jpg

2605348131_eef2cb0af2_o.jpg

2606178258_c9f9eeca59_o.jpg

2606178760_3e76e36507_o.jpg

2606178630_73798180f4_o.jpg

2605348707_b8dbb816ed_o.jpg

2606179288_776dc330ef_o.jpg

2606179158_a1acb7614c_o.jpg

To be continued...

Crazy_Canuck

The rest of Yellowstone pics

2605349255_fcecac3dff_o.jpg

2606179680_fceff575d4_o.jpg

2605349555_23d942e038_o.jpg

2606180008_5860758fee_o.jpg

This Bears name is Nakina and she came from Alaska somewhere.

2605349919_607504e8d6_o.jpg

This is her brother Kobuk

2606180504_80cfea65c8_o.jpg

Kobuk got a little to close to Nakina's food.

2606180648_03e6c75ae4_o.jpg

This Bears name was Revel and he has a brother named Stoke. They came from RevelStoke, BC

2606180794_6e583d31bf_o.jpg

2605350595_56bcc4b3a3_o.jpg

I hope you like these pictures? :wave:

BeniciaRT_GT
Worthy....I mean Worthy to the highest possible Worthiness amigo.

Plus ONE

Love the bear pics!!!

More please! (but not of mosquito bites or any uncovered parts of your body!)

Crazy_Canuck

Well this adventure just turned into to a NIGHTMARE.

I just got a call 1 hour ago telling me my wife's father was killed in a car accident. She is up in Edmonton right now and I will be leaving first thing in the morning for Edmonton.

From there I guess we will all will fly back to Bakersfield.

Please pray for my wife and I in this horrible time.

Rob

Well this adventure just turned into to a NIGHTMARE.

I just got a call 1 hour ago telling me my wife's father was killed in a car accident. She is up in Edmonton right now and I will be leaving first thing in the morning for Edmonton.

From there I guess we will all will fly back to Bakersfield.

Please pray for my wife and I in this horrible time.

Rob

Rob,

So sorry to hear this. There are no words.

If there is anything we can do to help, don't hesitate to ask.

Jan

Thoroughly enjoying your trip report and then hit the part about your father in law. What terrible news. I'm so sorry.

You'll have a lot of people thinking and praying for you and your family.

Rob, sorry to hear about this. Anything we can do on this end just ask. We're just over the hill from your home front.

BeniciaRT_GT

Rob,

So sorry to hear the news.

I'll send my left over good Karma you and yours' way!

I am still numb by this news. Rob's Father-in-Law, David Woodruff, was my Sunday School Teacher at the church I attend with Rob and his family. He was an incredibly generous man that had a love for his fellow man and a love for God. David leaves behind a huge family and more friends than could ever be counted. Please keep Rob, his family, and the Woodruff family in your prayers.

edit: I pulled this from the news, so I guess it's OK to post here too.

"The 65-year-old Bakersfield man and school board member for more than 35 years died Tuesday afternoon when his truck was hit by a train north of Shafter."

"Woodruff left behind his wife Gretchen, three adult children, seven grandchildren and lots of friends, family said. He worked as an agriculture consultant testing soil in fields, was on the state Fresh Carrot Advisory Board and was the president of the Beardsley School District.

He was born and raised in San Luis Rey in Oceanside, but moved to Bakersfield in 1969. " “He was a good man, and affected a lot of people's lives,” his wife Gretchen said. “I know where he is now.”

Crazy_Canuck

Thank you for all you thoughts and prayers it means a lot to me.

I ended up leaving Glacier about 2:00am hoping to avoid deer (yeah right) and to get to my wife ASAP. I think I saw more deer on the road in the middle of the night then I ever saw any other time of the day? It was a long and hard ride emotionally and physcially (lack of sleep). I arrived at the Canadian border at 4:30am to find out the that the crossing does not open till 7:00am. So there I was tired cold and emotionally spent. I tried to sleep but could not. I finally arrived in Edmonton at approx 1:30pm, My wife and kids were there to greet me. Once my wifes arms embraced me she cried and cried. I was glad to be back with my family.

We got on a airplane the following morning and flew back to LAX.

Her father was like a father to me and I miss him greatly.

He was a great man, a gentle man full of integrity, I hope I can be half the man he was.

Don't forget to tell your loved ones how much you love them because you will never know when you will see them again.

Rob

Paul_Burkett

Rob, I am so very sorry to hear of your great loss, the exact same thing happened to me a few years ago. Our thoughts and prayers will be for you and your family.

Crazy_Canuck

Ok as most of you know I had just got to Glacier (June 24th) when I found out my father inlaw was killed in a Train\car accident. I have since then flown back to Bakersfield delt with the grieving and funeral for my father in law. I have recently flown back up to Edmonton to retrieve my bike and continue on with the trip albeit a little less excited.

Not to be morbid but here is what my father in-laws truck looked liked after the Train incident. Note my wife is in the picture looking at her dads truck, she is a strong woman.

2644484350_61f18ed9d8_o.jpg

The following is an excerpt from my ride log that I wrote before I found out about my father in-law.

June 24, 2008 Day 4

Today was a great day. I forgot to mention that a gentleman that was camping at Yellowstone next to me was from Kalispell and told me about a great road to take and I am so thankful. He told me to take 200 and then up 83, 83 was just gorgeous!! I was in heaven. It truly made my day to ride that road.

I got to West Glacier KOA after about 7.5 hours of riding. The campground was nice and has hot tubs…whoohoo! After getting the tent and everything else setup I hit the tub for a while and it was very nice. The weather here has been great so far. The only bad news I got was that the road to the sun is still closed due to a late snow a couple of weeks ago, I am little bummed about it but the ride here was awesome so I am not too upset.

2643651915_6410202198_o.jpg

This is where I stayed (for half the night)

2644479400_4f2559d507_o.jpg

Making a little dinner.

2644479900_88e0bf054b_o.jpg

Then I enjoyed it.

2644480436_c6137bffbe_o.jpg

I could not sleep when I found out about the fater in-laws death so I packed up at 1:00am and hit the road by 2:00am. I though I would avoid the deer...WRONG. I have never seen so many deer, it was pitch black deer on the road everywhere, and I was worried about my wife. I finally made it to the Canadian border at 4:30am to find out it did not open until 7:00am. I was not a happy camper. I did finally make to Edmonton at 1:30pm tired but happy to see my wife.

Border crossing.

2644480108_7306276319_o.jpg

I am currently in Jasper, Alberta and will continue my ride tale........

Crazy_Canuck

Day (I don't know)

On my way to Jasper.

2644476668_a72023a77a_o.jpg

and some of the things I saw on nthe way

2643650581_86b22659f8_o.jpg

2643650175_31dc47cde6_o.jpg

2644477138_b560a212bb_o.jpg

Can you see the rainbow?

2644478860_fd253f42d1_o.jpg

2643651249_e9b6d475b1_o.jpg

2644478180_b4195d0ba0_o.jpg

2644478676_2ccca0a63e_o.jpg

Cheers

Not to be morbid but here is what my father in-laws truck looked like...

Well, it is morbid. Rob, you got a screw loose posting that up here. Not how I wanted to remember David leaving this earth.

Archived