IGNORED

:..sPRINT users...got some questions..:

hANNAbONE

oKAY -

I'm in need of upgrading my +4 yr old Sanyo cell phone.

I have looked into the Blackberry "Curve"

I have looked into the iPhone-esk Samsung "Instint"

(*note that I have not held or fondled either of these - they simply are not in stores around here)

(*also, I would be changing to Verizon, but my stupid contract isn't up until March 2009 soooooooo.........)

Chime in on what to buy..

here is my criteria -

I use the phone for only phone purposes now...note I don't have a camera in my barely working Sanyo. I like the idea of a camera and texting...ease of use a MUST.!

Being in Youth Ministry, these kids all text and want stuff sent via their phones...so I was considering a PDA-esk phone...Blackberry or the like.

I do like something alittle larger (big thumbs...you know what they say.....ahem.......)

so talk to me -

In the same boat brother. I am going to look at it after I get back from Ouray. I have a Crackberry for work, but it is really a lousy phone.

Thanks for posting it!

Lone_RT_rider

wELLLLLLLL....iF'N yOU wAS aN att uSER.....

cingular_8525_promo.jpg

But since your aren't, I know as usual I am of nooooooooo help! :grin::dopeslap:

Shawn

yEAH...I'm kinda snicked into staying with SPRINT as I cannot switch until March '09.

Soooooooo...Sprint is where it's at...at least for me...drat it.!

Sprint offers several phones that should work for you.

LG Rumor might work. It has a full, slide out QWERTY keyboard, bluetooth and camera. It is a little fatter than a regular phone but not by much. I have a friend that has one and she texts like crazy. She loves it.

I also have some friends that have the Palm Centro. I always thought the keys were a little small tho. Don't know how it works in "phone" mode.

One of my colleagues at work evaluated the Blackberry Pearl. He liked it and said the phone sounded good. It is a little more phone sized than the others. They claim it has a QWERTY keyboard but it really isn't as some of the keys are shared.

I would stay away from the other Crackberries as they really suck to use as a phone.

Oh, BTW, I don't work for or have any financial interest in Sprint. I actually work as an engineer for a competitor, USCC.

I TOTALLY love my Treo 700p on Sprint. I really do NOT dig Sprint's customer service and if you change your plan to accommodate a smart phone that might extend your contract for another two years so watch out for that gotcha. Also make any changes right before your monthly billing cycle or they'll pro-rate an additional partial month on top of the next month's cycle.

That said, I love my Treo. It can act as a modem for my laptop and the speed is pretty danged good! They're replacing the old analog towers with digital all over the country (to be completed in 2009-10 I believe) so coverage is only getting better. I've now got laptop web access anywhere I have cell service and (with a small hack to give the 700p the "phone-as-modem" access of the earlier model) I only pay $15.00/month for unlimited data. I mostly do email and don't text too much so I pay $0.20 per text, but for another $5.00/month I could do unlimited texting as well. It is also a pretty danged decent phone and the curved qwerty keypad is very easy to text rapidly on or surf the web anywhere on the road. Very happy with my set-up and would recommend it highly.

Sprint has signed roaming contracts with Verizon and Alltel (which might merge anyway here in the near future) so I've got unlimited roaming and long distance on any Sprint, Verizon or Alltel network and I was one of the very few who had not only cell service but web access as well in Torrey! :)

Of course I would recommend the Palm version. The Treo 700P is a few years old now and I bet you could pick up one used for little money. A few guys at work got the windoze version (700w) and have been predictably having "issues" with it. Check out Treocentral.com and also HowardForums for some great Discussion Boards for Treo users. I know some folks like their Crackberry's, but the Treo uses web-based email to do the same thing.

I've also got a 2GB compact flash card that doubles as a USB thumb-drive which makes transferring files from the computers at work to my Mac a breeze! It plays MP3 files like an iPod and with 2GB, I can load tons of music or books on tape or even listen to streaming web radio. And through earbuds the fidelity is pretty dang good!

I love being able to check my web-based email on the go and I regularly just whip out the Treo to settle arguments or answer questions like: "What was the name of that movie . . . . Who directed that one called . . . . " BOOM-- www.IMDB.com and I've got the answer in less than a minute! I've got Wikipedia, google maps and a ton of other reference sites bookmarked including medical information to settle patho-physiology or treatment questions. I've got my department's website, and other Fire sites and of course this place! For streaming music, I've got www.kcdx.com , and www.XLNC1.org . . . . Heck, I've even made my Southwest Airlines reservation from the Treo right at the 24-hour mark (to secure a seat in the "A" boarding band) and just printed out the boarding pass later at my convenience.

Some guys at work are opting for the new iPhone, but ATT+T's coverage SUCKS in most places (outside of the eighth floor of the one office building in downtown San Francisco they used to make their bogus marketing claim). I'm pretty well sold and will likely replace it with another just like it for a few more years until the new offerings can do what this does for less money.

bakerzdosen
Some guys at work are opting for the new iPhone, but ATT+T's coverage SUCKS in most places (outside of the eighth floor of the one office building in downtown San Francisco they used to make their bogus marketing claim).
Keep in mind, it depends on where you are. I carried around a Sprint phone for basically the month of May and Amy has one, and other than Torrey, they have horrible coverage here. AT&T is FAR superior in my area. Honestly, the only problems I've had with AT&T (recently) have been in So. Cal.

eNDED uP getting a Treo Palm based 755...nice deal.!

Now if I can just learn how to use the blinkin' thing...

Archived