IGNORED

Treatment of New Roadcrafter

David

The armor is busted in my Savanna II. Loved that outfit and thought about fixing it and moving on, but I've always wanted to try a Roadcrafter, and after three tries at sizing, the right one came today. Looks and feels great, and maybe now I'm a real biker. grin.gif

The question: did you treat it with anything at the outset, or just treat it later after a wash or after some of the waterproofing became less effective?

I believe it comes treated with a DWR coating.

If you notice that the outer cordura layer is becoming soaked with water, it's time to re-treat.

Aerostich recommends "wash in" treatment like Nikwak over spray-on treatment like Scotchgard, but both work. The wash-in type works better, because it goes everywhere. I've used both with success.

From their website:

Maintaining Breathable Fabrics?

After the manufacturing process that bonds a breathable/waterproof membrane to Cordura fabric, a DWR (Durable Water Repellent) chemical treatment is applied that prevents water from being absorbed into the Cordura’s fibers. If the Cordura fibers become saturated in wet conditions, the water forms a barrier causing vapor to condense on the inside surface. Over time and after extended wear, the original DWR treatment wears away and must be renewed. Periodically laundering gear with a washin treatment like Nikwax TX Direct®, or applying a post-wash water repellent product like Scotchgard®, Revivex® or Tectron®, will insure that water beads and runs off the fabric, and that vapor will always be able to pass through, even in wet conditions. Maintaining the DWR also helps textile gear dry faster after being in rain.

Cleaning/Laundering?

Machine washing is recommended. Remove the TF2 pads and the contents of all the pockets. Close all zippers. Use the regular wash cycle, and a 'warm' water setting with mild powder detergent, wash-in water repellent products, or non-detergent soaps formulated specifically for outdoor fabrics. Run the complete wash/rinse cycle a second or third time with water only to remove any residual detergent. Machine dry at a medium temperature. Do not use anti-static products. Velcro® hook fasteners pick up lint so avoid laundering with cotton towels. Clean Velcro hook using a fine comb. Small stains can be removed using spot cleaning stain removal products. Citrus based cleaners work well for oil stains.

Waterproofing Zippers?

The Roadcrafter’s unique zipper arrangement can become a source of water entry in extremely wet conditions. To dramatically improve performance in severe conditions use either a wash-in water repellent or hand seal these areas: 1) Stitching and knit zipper fabric around both underarm zips; 2.) The knit zipper fabric along the right leg zipper; 3.) The stitching and knit zipper fabric along the left leg zipper from two inches above the bottom of the Velcro flap, to below the knee.

Wash-in repellents like Nikwax TX Direct® penetrate everywhere during laundering. In addition to improving breathability in wet conditions, they minimize leaks around zippers. Seam sealing products like Seam Grip®, should be thinned enough to completely soak into the fabric, thread, and stitching. (Use Cotol® or toulene.) Apply sealant to both the knit zipper fabric and the stitching.

Per the recommendation of the Aerostich people, I give mine a healthy spraying of ReviveX after washing and while it is still wet. It is supposed to help repel water and make the suit more washable. Seems to work fine.

Thanks, folks. So there's no point in treating a new one? But just treat it later when it begins to wear a bit? I was mainly curious about whether I should do something now or wait until later.

Wait. When the water stops beading on the outer surface, and you feel like a piece of overcooked pasta, treat it.

I'm going to give you a little different take. A new 'stich is obnoxiously stiff. It takes a long, long time to break it in. I found the answer is to take it to the laundry mat and wash it in warm water with no detergent for a couple of cycles. Then while it's still wet, soak it down with spary on nix wax. Aerostich's are great once they've broken in a bit. This process will help, and I bet you'll find it fits better, too.

JMHO.

David,

Sorry I don't have the answer to your question (I’m sure other fine folks on this board will come through with what your looking for) but I’m interested in your experience with AeroStitch the Roadcrafter.

I also have the Savanna II, which I find to be excellent however I’ve been entertaining the purchase of a Roadcrafter One Piece for some time now. In fact, I was on the AreoStitch web-site night before last. I figured out my correct sizing, picked my choice of colors (which was no easy task as I don’t find any of the combos all that great but I finally settled on Black with Hi-Vis ballistics) and added the back protector and hip pads to the package. I was about to pull the trigger and hit the buy now button when I just stopped and starred at the screen for what seemed like 10 minutes. I decided to give it a little more thought so I saved the information to come back to later.

I’m looking for a suit that’s more convenient (quick on and off) for commuting than my Savanna. I like the idea of quickly stepping in and zipping up right over my work clothes and still offers exceptional protection.

How was your experience dealing with AeroStich? How long did it take to get it? Did you get the one piece or two? What color? Did you get the back and/or hip pads? If so, do they make the suit feel too bulky? Overall opinion (I realize you may need to have it for a while for this one).

Sorry I don't have the answer to your question (I’m sure other fine folks on this board will come through with what your looking for) but I’m interested in your experience with AeroStitch the Roadcrafter.

I'm heading out on a 2,500 mile ride tomorrow, and will report back when I can.

...picked my choice of colors (which was no easy task as I don’t find any of the combos all that great but I finally settled on Black with Hi-Vis ballistics)

Take a look at the new gray, with gray ballistics. It's not the older "green" type gray, but a battleship gray. Really nice looking, and I think will be cooler. I can take a picture if you want, while on this trip.

I’m looking for a suit that’s more convenient (quick on and off) for commuting than my Savanna. I like the idea of quickly stepping in and zipping up right over my work clothes and still offers exceptional protection.

That was my thinking, plus some things:

a) quick on/off.

b) no taking extra rain gear on trips.

c) no stopping to put on said gear.

We'll see how it works. I'm excited to try it.

How was your experience dealing with AeroStich? How long did it take to get it? Did you get the one piece or two? What color? Did you get the back and/or hip pads? If so, do they make the suit feel too bulky? Overall opinion (I realize you may need to have it for a while for this one).

They were unbelievably patient, responsive, and helpful. I ordered one and it was too tight. Returned it. Sales guy told me what I should have ordered, but second was didn't fit right. Return it. Third time I went with a special order, but by that time I was very confident that I had the right size coming, and it does fit perfectly. They were really champs about the whole thing. I'm just really impressed with their customer service. No attitude--nothing but helpfulness and cheer.

Yep, I got the hip pads and back protector.

At the expense of sounding like an Aerostich cult member, I would say the 1 piece is the best piece of motorcycle gear I own. I have the back and hip pads and I never even notice they are there. I do remember thinking "$60 for the back protector was money well spent" when my bike was rolling on top of me. Also, with the 1 piece, I am forced to wear the pants. I know the pants would be in a saddle bag on a hot day if I had a choice (like the day the bike was rolling over me), so I eliminated the option.

I have been thinking about one of these to replace my standard one, just based on the additional safety...

http://www.ant-racing.com/Product.asp?id=3

. . . I'm heading out on a 2,500 mile ride tomorrow, and will report back when I can. . . .

Perfect!

All I did with my new Roadcrafter was treat the front of it with a heavy coating of dead bugs in the areas most exposed to rain in order to enhance the factory supplied water resitance.

They wear off over time when commuting, but a good road trip on a minimally faired bike will restore the extra waterproofing as well as your popularity with wasps and other bugs of the insectivore persuasion.

Enjoy!

ShovelStrokeEd

David,

Wash it now, don't even bother to wear it until it has gone through a couple of wash cycles. The beating it takes in the washer will soften it up nicely.

Mine didn't leak so much as ooze when it was brand new. I wound up with a very damp crotch. Not the most fun on a cool day in October.

After washing and while still nice and wet, I spray mine with NikWax, paying particular attention to the critical areas and seams. A couple of light coats is better than a single heavy coat. After that, its into the dryer for a no heat tumble. You can also hang it on the line but again, the beating will take some of the stiffness out of it.

Did you order your Hoon Cooler yet? Your gonna need it come Summer.

DavidEBSmith

I was gonna comment, but I know Knappy would have some smart-ass rejoinder, so I'll save the typing and skip right to it and let him fill in the blanks.

_______ EB _____ wash _____ Roadcrafter _________ dead bugs _____ years ________ smell __________?

David,

I didn't treat mine with anything when new. At the end of the first year (about 6000 miles) I washed it and applied Nikwash with the rinse water as directed. At the end of the second year (another 12,000 miles) I washed it again and again applied Nikwash. The various rain riding I had done, since new, had never soaked through the crotch, which is what you usually hear about. The suit kept me totally dry though of course this is on an RT. I did realize early on that you have to keep the collar UP around your neck and somewhat "tucked in" under the helmet, to avoid water running off the helmet and down the back of your neck. tongue.gif

Recently after two 2-hr runs in heavy rain on the Interstate I noticed each time a certain damp feeling at my crotch. When I arrived, I discretely felt my crotch to see how wet it was, and was surprised that my pants (street pants, not the suit) were not really wet, maybe just a hint of dampness. However the Roadcrafter was clearly soaked at the crotch area, at least the outside fabric, which is exterior to the goretex layer.

So last week per their recommendation I applied SeamGrip sealer to the fabric tape of both zipper halves, along the right leg zipper (upper half) and the main zipper (middle half). Though I was careful to avoid getting any SeamGrip on the zipper teeth, I still found that after the stuff dried the zippers now feel noticeably stiffer to pull up and down, though I think they are rapidly getting easier. I'm hoping whatever SeamGrip got on the teeth or too close to them will simply wear away quickly. I'm also going to try some Teflon spray for the zippers.

Since sealing the zipper tapes I have not ridden in rain again, so I will have to update you at some point as to whether it helped or not.

So I think you should consider SeamGrip sealing the zipper tapes at some point, especially on the GS, as you will probably need it eventually. Maybe after washing it at the end of the first year.

Bring a bandana with you to wrap around your neck. A new Aerostich will be a little rough on your neck area, until you can fold, fold and refold the collar enough times to get it to stay down and off your skin.

It took about a year / 5000-10000 miles to break in my red one. The red one is now baby soft, and the red color is now somewhat pink. I'm breaking in my spare grey one right now (grey with black ballistics).

Black with silver ballistics looks pretty sharp too.

I wore mine for a long time before I washed it. Starting off you should be fine. The only place that they really like to leak is in the crotch. Water will pool in your lap and then seep past the zipper. I didn't have issues though until I had had it for a while.

Good choice thumbsup.gif

He David, I'm between those 2 jackets, as a matter of fact. Would like your help.

First on the Savanna; could you elaborate on the 'collapsed' issue? Sounds disturbing. Would you consider that 'normal'? How many miles on the suit? Don't want to spend almost $500 on a jacket that's not waterproof, has no liner, and may have crappy armor.

And finally on the Stich. I'd like to avoid 3 tries. Can you tell us how their sizing deviated from your normal size? In other words, what would be your size according to their chart, and what you ended up with?

Thanks man, and have a safe trip.

First on the Savanna; could you elaborate on the 'collapsed' issue? Sounds disturbing. Would you consider that 'normal'? How many miles on the suit? Don't want to spend almost $500 on a jacket that's not waterproof, has no liner, and may have crappy armor.

You can always buy new armor, so it's not that I shouldn't have done that. I just figured the timing was good for a switch. Mine collapsed from taking it in/out too many times for travel and washing. I probably have 60,000 miles on the suit. It's a marvelously well-built outfit.

And finally on the Stich. I'd like to avoid 3 tries. Can you tell us how their sizing deviated from your normal size? In other words, what would be your size according to their chart, and what you ended up with?

My US42R Savanna 2 fits like the Roadcrafter 46R with 1" extra inch added to the stomach area.

How was your experience dealing with AeroStich?

In my experience, they are the most customer focused people I have EVER come across. When I ordered my suit (about 3 months ago) I wanted it delivered to an address in Arizona so that my uncle could bring it over to the UK with him. The sales woman spent ages talking me through the custom sizing - I knew roughly what I wanted, having tried on a friend's suit but they couldn't do what I wanted. She explained all the options and patiently waited while I made a decision. Then I gave her my very tight delivery timetable (to get it to Arizona before my uncle left for London) - "yeh, we can do that" she said, "we'll just move your order up the manufacturing list. Then I had to call back and say I had got the dates wrong and could they deliver it a day earlier - no problem. Then I called back again because I had forgotten to order the back protecter - no fuss, sorted. Does nothing faze these people!

The suit is great but as has been mentioned, it is rather stiff when new! Mine was soon broken in as I recently took it on a 2,500 mile trip through SPain and Portugal (awesome roads smile.gif ) Mine leaked a couple of weeks ago because the front, above the crotch area when I am seated on the bike, rucked up and water pooled in the folds. Washed it per the instructions and used Nikwax wash in - so far so good. Slightly disappointed with the wash result, though, it looks like all that has happened is that the dirt has been redistributed round the suit frown.gif . Friend of mine reckons its worth soaking it in a mild detergent first.

DOK

steveknapp
I was gonna comment, but I know Knappy would have some smart-ass rejoinder, so I'll save the typing and skip right to it and let him fill in the blanks.

What? EB can wash his Roadcrafter? Toxic dead bugs, four years of grime and the smell alone?

Wear it. Treat it when you wash it. Use the "wash in" treatment. The spray on stuff sucks.

David, like you I love the Savanna2 gear, but wanted something for the cooler months.

Fortunately I was in Minneapolis in mid-May for Tony Meirovitz's wedding (TonyM315) and as long as I was there I drove the 2.5 hours up to Duluth and the Aerostich factory.

I was attended to by Sally, who's as close to a GM as the place has. They were busy for a Saturday morning and I had to wait, but they finally got to me, were very helpful and courteous, and were able to answer all my questions. I ended up with a pretty standard size 48 with a sleeve mod and the shoulder-rotation mod. Color was the older gray (the one with a hint of green) with Hi-Viz ballistics. My suit is in cue to be made next week with delivery (hopefully) the following week.

I didn't get the backpad, opting instead for the Bohn (ActionStation.com) 7-plate Kevlar back protector which fits the velcro locators on the Stich. I'm gonna have to lose a few more pounds before I can add the hip pads.

In speaking to Sally about care, she pretty much said what most have expressed above. It's ready to ride. You might want to seal the fabric of the zippers to help reduce the possibility of water entering through that known area, but otherwise, just put it on and go. Yes, it's going to be stiff. If that's a problem, just wash it once or twice making sure to add their waterproofing to the wash. Then dry it along with 2-3 pairs of old tennis shoes. The shoes will pummell the suit, softening it up substantially.

I'm really curious how you like the suit when it's new. The weather's getting warm out here and although I'll use the suit at least once when I get it, I may put it away until the cold comes back. If I do that, I'm going to want to soften the thing up a bit, first.

Steve_Witmer

Aerostitch also sells a spray called UV Tech that is supposed to help prevent fading. I don't know whether fading is a problem with black, but I'm going to be treating my red Firstgear winter jacket with this stuff.

ShovelStrokeEd

Ah Steve,

You have yet to cop to the poser value of a well faded 'Stitch. tongue.gif

Wash your red jacket in really strong detergent (not color safe) a few times. Then you can run down to the Tasty Freeze and tell folks you just got back from Alaska. crazy.gif

don't mean to hijack this thread, but how about a recommendation for a summer (armour/ballistic) jacket? I have the airflow II but I need something waaaay cooler for the heat and humidity of the southeast...

and washing it may be a question I have later crazy.gif

Wash your red jacket in really strong detergent (not color safe) a few times. Then you can run down to the Tasty Freeze and tell folks you just got back from Alaska. crazy.gif

Another hijack story: I got my 'Stich used thanks to the watchful eyes of my pal SteveW. He spotted it on Ebay and snagged it for me. It was made in 1989 but is in excellent shape and cleaned up well.

I hadn't washed it in some months and went out for lunch one day during the work week. Since the 'Stich is my only gear, I threw it on over my work clothes and hopped on the (filthy) RT. I pulled into the parking lot of the local In-N-Out burger and parked. Now, my uncle gave me a souvenir license plate frame from Ride West BMW in Seattle to put on my bike and this particular trip to the burger place happened to be in January.

I park, walk up to the window and one of the patrons looks at the bike, the plate frame and my um, "seasoned" suit (it was really smelly too) and said "that musta' been one heck of a ride over the Siskiyous (mountain range) this time of year." I was a bit bewildered about his comment at first, not putting two and two together and then it hit me...d'oh. He thinks I rode her from Seattle...

I gotta say that my Roadcrafter, with the exception of the velcro, gets better with age. I absolutely love it and am surprised that given its age, that it is still water resistant with regular treatments. It's the old style gray/green with black ballistics.

I wash it once a year with powdered Tide then run one additional rinse cycle. Then, I add two bottles of TX Direct (?) water proofing in a second plain wash cycle then stop the washer and let it soak in the mixture for 20 minutes. Finish the wash cycle then use the spray on TX Direct concentrating on the flaps, collar and zippered areas. Let it soak in for a while, then into the dryer on medium to cook for an hour.

I also use Russell Bynum's patented method for ensuring that the crotch "bunch" forms a bit of a spoiler over the crotch/leg zipper areas. This works as a damming effect that somewhat diverts the water away from the crotch (like a shelf) and deflects it off to the side. I'll see if I can search for his post on this topic, but it makes a world of difference and WILL keep your lap and legs dry. Essentially you fold the crotch area so that it doesn't form a bowl for the rainwater to sit in. Make sense or am I babbling? tongue.gif

You'll love it for the cooler months David. Having never experienced your heat/humidity in your area in the summer though, I hope you have alternative gear for those sticky days. Even here in LA, the first thing I do after my afternoon summer commute is to peel that thing off and throw in onto the floor...eww... eek.gif

Steve_Witmer
Ah Steve,

You have yet to cop to the poser value of a well faded 'Stitch. tongue.gif

Ed, I'm so ashamed . . . I've been doing these things wrong for so long. I even clean my leathers and treat them with oil and they look shamefully shiny and new. blush.gif I now understand that the correct tactic is to allow the bugs and dirt to remain on my gear so that it looks "authentic."

At least I have neglected to clean the bugs of my RT for the past 2 months. Perhaps if I leave the bugs on for the UnRally it will make up for the appearance of my gear.

RichEdwards

I ditto the remarks of the people who mentioned crotch-leaking on the Aerostich. Tent seam sealer in the affected area stopped the leaks.

I ditto the remarks of the people who mentioned crotch leaking blush.gif on the Aerostich. tent seam sealer in the affected areas eek.gif stopped the leaks.

OUCH! blush.gifeek.gifcrazy.gif

Obviously I'm not man enough for one of these suits yet.

Probably good thing it's too hot half the year to wear one.

The solution for leaks in the crotch is to pull a big fold in the 'Stich about where your breastbone is. Pulling this out and just a little down (a) removes the excess material below it so you don't have folds lower down and (b) creates a little bit of a "roof" so that water running down from your head & shoulders tends to run around your sides instead of pooling in your crotch. I've ridden many miles in heavy rain using this technique and have yet to experience leakage. YMMV smile.gif

I wore mine for a long time before I washed it. Starting off you should be fine. The only place that they really like to leak is in the crotch. Water will pool in your lap and then seep past the zipper. I didn't have issues though until I had had it for a while.

Good choice thumbsup.gif

This has been my experience.

I pull / tug the suit up to eliminate the pooling.

It is a GREAT commute suit.

Regarding caring for a new Roadcrafter, I'm still considering what sort of serious riding gear to spring for, but along the way I found this in a comparison write-up of the Roadcrafter vs. the Motoport:

"Helpful hint: An easy way to loosen up both of these excellent products is to go to a Laundromat and throw them into a big dryer WITH NO HEAT, and let the machine tumble the goods. What comes out will be a little more broken in and slightly more flexible."

The above quote came from this url:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motoport/

As for light weight jackets, and the thread discussing the First Gear meshtex jacket, I can add that you can get upgraded armor from New Enough that fits the jacket. Each piece, as I recall, was $9, so $36 for shoulders and elbows. Then you have about $160 for a pretty good summer jacket. The original "armor" is, well, not.

• 3 months later...

It was some time ago that David started this Rodecrafter thread.

The armor is busted in my Savanna II. Loved that outfit and thought about fixing it and moving on, but I've always wanted to try a Roadcrafter, and after three tries at sizing, the right one came today. Looks and feels great, and maybe now I'm a real biker. grin.gif

The question: did you treat it with anything at the outset, or just treat it later after a wash or after some of the waterproofing became less effective?

"David, ... I’m interested in your experience with AeroStitch the Roadcrafter."

I'm heading out on a 2,500 mile ride tomorrow, and will report back when I can.

David,

I did a search and didn't find it. Did you ever do a follow-up on your experience with your Roadcrafter? Just wondering what your review of it is now.

I'm also in the market for outerwear, but I'm a bit confused between the very positive reviews I've been reading on this website for the roadcrafter and what I found on their own website.

Many on this site have raved about the roadcrafter saying that it has been great for anything from near freezing weather up to 90 degrees or so... and how great it is in the rain.

However, when I read through the specs on their website, I learned that the suit has no insulation, but it does have a layer of gortex like material. To me, despite what Gortex says, it doesn't breath well and certainly doesn't hold up well in the rain - I'm a mountain climber and have purchased and used a bunch of it over the years. Then there's the lack of insulation. How does the suit keep you guys warm in near freezing weather if it doesn't have any insulation? Are you roadcrafter owners adding extra clothes under the suit?

I've been looking around qite bit, I seriously doubt I'll find anything that does it all, but I'd also like some candid insights into the product so I know what I'm signing up for. Any insights would be appreciated.

ShovelStrokeEd

Asked and answered many times but I'll take another shot.

The Roadcrafter is not waterproof, nor does Aerostitch claim it to be. It will stand up pretty well to hour after hour of rain and if arranged so there is no trapping puddle of water in the lap, can be as effective as any other rain gear. It requires some maintenance to keep things this way. Regular washing and treatment with Nikwax and a seam sealer are necessary to keep up the water resistance.

The Roadcrafter is not warm. Quite the opposite, it allows a good deal of air to reach the rider via its vents and the porous nature of its material. This makes it a very good hot weather proposition as, when worn with nothing more than some mesh or Underarmour type garments, you can remain comfortable in 100 degree temperatures. Comfortable being a relative term in that case.

As to cold weather use, yes, we wear additional garments. I use a wind fleece in addition to my Gerbings heated jacket liner with nothing more than wind stopper Goretex sweats pants underneath. When combined with Gerbings glove liners under my BMW Goretex rain gloves and BMW's excellent wind and waterproof Balaclava, I have ridden in tempertures down to 18 degrees in relative comfort.

Can you tell I like the garment? Mine is a one piece. The biggest plus feature about the Roadcrafter is not its weather protection nor even its versatility as a garment. The number one reason most of us wear them is the level of protection from both impact and abrasion afforded by the suit. With the optional hip pads and a strap on back protector you are working at protection levels that approach that of full racing suits without the hassle of climbing in and out of them.

Now for a couple of down side items.

The neck closure is horrible. Both too low to be of any protection and prone to irritation if you are at all heavy of beard. Plan on a scarf or some sort of bandanna type protection in that area. Nor is there a way, should you choose to run with the neck open to facilitate an evaporative cooler to keep the closure flap from beating you to death in the wind.

The dang thing is bulky. This applies to the one piece more than the two. It becomes an issue at meal stops and the like if you are travelling with a couple of folks. It can be stuffed into a saddle bag but, just. Depending on time of year, you may be unwilling to enter one of the nicer roadside places in your undies. I know my sense of esthetics would keep me from walking into even a Waffle House in nothing more than my bright blue Cool Max under suit and a pair of boots. You can just chain the thing to the bike in cooler weather and the problem is fixed by a pair of shorts.

I have alternative gear that I prefer for long distance riding that gives me near the versatility of the Aerostitch without the drawbacks. That said, mine gets pulled out of the closet for almost all the trips during the winter months. Depends on what level of weather I plan on encountering.

I do love my 'Stitch, but one word of caution when sealing the seams. My first attempt at a stitch was purchased used, and I shipped it back to Aerostitch for some customization. The previous owner had used a seam sealer on the suit, and the result is that Aerostitch was not able to remove the threads to do the custom work.

I was able to sell the suit for what I paid for it, and purchased a suit new that is working out great. I haven't been in any real rain with the thing yet, but it is getting about time to think about a wash. I'll go as far as the wash-in treatment...

It's not perfect (the stich), but it's the closest to perfect for all weather conditions that I've ever used. The folks at aerostich, IMO, are very good at underpromising and over delivering. I've never had any leaking issues, or wet issues. I've ridden to lows of 17 and highs over 100. Coolmax undies in the heat, fleece and heated vest and chaps (if its REALLY COLD) in cold weather. I love it.

I did a search and didn't find it. Did you ever do a follow-up on your experience with your Roadcrafter? Just wondering what your review of it is now.

I really like it. My intent was to simplify things by being able to leave the rain gear at home, save time in stopping and changing, and get in/out of a suit quickly. All the goals were met.

I still need to treat it a tad to get it a bit more watertight, and I also need to learn how to zip everything up while underway, but I like it a bunch. Aerostich was excellent at customer service through the entire three-suit exchange, too.

I ditto the remarks of the people who mentioned crotch-leaking on the Aerostich. Tent seam sealer in the affected area stopped the leaks.
I had a problem with the flap on mine opening. I have a two piece with the bib converter and think that was the cause. Andy put an oversize flap on FOR FREE and washed and treated my pants. I'm a happy 'stich guy since 2001!

I really like it. My intent was to simplify things by being able to leave the rain gear at home, save time in stopping and changing, and get in/out of a suit quickly. All the goals were met.

I still need to treat it a tad to get it a bit more watertight, and I also need to learn how to zip everything up while underway, but I like it a bunch. Aerostich was excellent at customer service through the entire three-suit exchange, too.

Thanks for the reply. Did you get the hip and back protectors put in? If so, how was the fit and feel?

Think I'm gonna put an order in for one soon. I really want a something that simplifies my commute and still gives me good protection. Can't think of anything better out there.

Now if I could just decide on high vis yellow with black ballistics or black with high vis ballistics. Such a dilemma.

BTW, I just realized you changed your avatar. You know you look allot like a dog? No offense of course. grin.gif

Archived