IGNORED

Bach B Minor Mass

Les is more

Les is more

This past weekend, as a member of the chorus of Bach Collegium San Diego, I had the privilege of performing the wonderful work. There is a recording of the live performance, a review and info about the group here.

This was the most athletic bit of singing I've ever done. We had instrumentalists from all over the country so all rehearsals with the orchestra had to happen in the same weekend as the performance. Friday ran from 7 to 10 and Sat. ran from 10:30 to 6:30 with a two hour break We capped Saturday off with a run through of the whole enchilada. Whew!!

Performances were Sunday and Monday. I hope you enjoy it.

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

That's tough stuff to sing Leslie. Particularly difficult to decide where to put the emphasis sometimes. I particularly liked this piece: Credo: Et resurrexit.

Thanks for sharing...brings back memories.

Looked at different concerts on that website-

Would really love to know when you perform Handel's Messiah...

It has remained one of my favorite works since High School where as a member of the concert choir, we performed the complete work. Still remember some of it, though the singing voice went down the road quite a while back.

Would you have anything in B Major? I feel like I'm settling a bit in listening to this in a Minor key. :)

Couchrocket

Les,

I'm sitting here listening to the recording... with tears from two sources.

First, it is stunningly beautiful...

Second, because Patricia and I had to miss being there...

S.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. This is probably my favorite piece of vocal music, and I haven't listened to it in far too long. To be able to do so with a pair of headphone while surfing the web is a real treat.

Les is more
Would you have anything in B Major? I feel like I'm settling a bit in listening to this in a Minor key. :)

We only send the B Major Mass out to people we feel will use it to stimulate the economy.

Les,

I'm sitting here listening to the recording... with tears from two sources.

First, it is stunningly beautiful...

Second, because Patricia and I had to miss being there...

S.

Thanks Scott. I truly wish you could have been there. Half of the singing is the connection between the performers and the audience. We had a great audience but of course it would have deepened my experience even more knowing that your listening was present.

I'm still waiting for the Armenian version?????

Me too Whip. I'll press the point at my next rehearsal. In the meantime you'll have to settle for Bach at his finest.

Transcendant, Toots!

It must have been a rush to be in the middle of all that glory.

That it was, Doc. That it was. Listening to the recording today brought back much of the joy that I felt singing the concerts--sublime!

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

That's pretty much what I said to the director afterwards. :)

I'm happy to have brought some beauty into your day, Selden.

I'm very happy that you all have enjoyed the morsels from this sumptuous musical feast. I just sat and listened to the recording myself. Even now, even in this shortened version, I find it joyful, heartrending and profound from movement to movement as it takes me back to the actual performance.

Thanks to you all for sharing it with me!!

I was fortunate enough to have been able to hear this one live originally (with Phil "pdegnan", his wife Carole and a few other family members) and I can tell you--it was a once in a lifetime experience!

Leslie did an OUTSTANDING job!! :)

Personally, I don't think I really have the chops for Bach anymore, though I did sing with them for the group's debut performance of Bach's "Johannes Passion" (aka The Passion According to St. John). They're doing Hayden's "Creation" next, but my forte is "Early Music" (before 1750) and I'm sorely tempted to use my vacation leave join them for the Monteverdi concert! :clap:

We'll try to remember to post the dates in case anyone wants to do an "In Search of . . . Early Music" ride for the next performance. ;)

Archived